Our band has its first gig in December and we're a little lost. We have a lot of questions but for right now I'll stick strictly to positioning of equipment. We had the drums in the back and amps flush with the kick but angled slightly inward toward the singer. Is there any certain way we should angle the amps and mics, plus the drums?

Also, we don't have a PA system yet but I've heard we should have them up past the front of the mics and angled toward the crowd, is this true?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Rock On

Quote by Shard Heilia
Nothing. Is Better. Than Guitar.

I Receive Nourishment From My Amplifier. Food Is For The Weak.

Quote by Thrace
Listen to Machine Head, you'll want to headbutt someone right in their pussy.
Well the angle of your amps isn't really that important. Especially if they're mic'd. The PA speakers are always in front of you, and facing the direction you're facing because of feedback issues. Generally, depending on where you're playing, the venue will have monitors set up for use, and each of you will have your own monitor or two. The place I play at will mix your monitor for you, and can change it for each member. My advice is to just keep the amps out of the way; you don't want to worry about them being in your way.
I'm FAT!
If it is your first gig then you need to be prepared to find out that it doesn't sound the same on stage as it does to the audience. You hear the amps you stand in front of and the ones nearest you and there may be band members you can't hear at all. Put the amps at the back of the stage but think about who needs to hear what. Put the bass amp next to the drummer so your rhythm people can work together for example.

Don't point any amps at the singer as their mic will then pick up that amp and you won't be able to get a clear sound and yes put any PA speakers in front of the mic's or you'll get feedback problems. I've written a guide to PA for UG here's the first one http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/the_guide_to/the_guide_to_pa_part_one_-_a_first_pa.html some of my other articles may help also.

I'll follow this thread for a few days and answer any specific questions. Good luck
Thanks for the advice guys.

@Phil Sorry I haven't checked this post in a while. If you do see this though, your guides are a pretty big help. I'll keep reading through them and try to work out our set up. We're buying our first PA system this Monday. We have a budget of $400 so it's not much but we'll see what we can find.

Do you have any specific recommendations? Also, I don't think we're going to be able to get a monitor in our budget unless we find a cheap PA system that will cut it. Is it possible to use an extra bass amp we have to monitor the vocals?
Rock On

Quote by Shard Heilia
Nothing. Is Better. Than Guitar.

I Receive Nourishment From My Amplifier. Food Is For The Weak.

Quote by Thrace
Listen to Machine Head, you'll want to headbutt someone right in their pussy.
Buy quality rather than quantity. You'll find another $400 sooner or later and you want something to add to rather than something you'll have to replace. Cheap PA's make good monitors so that's a good route to go. You will need to find mic's two good cheapies that I've tried are the Behringer 8500 and the Sampson Q6, not too far short of the SM58 and a lot cheaper (£20 over here)

I don't know the market over there but Peavey do some good value stuff if you can stretch that far.

Bass amps are usually fairly flat but lack any top end unless they have a horn. Anything is better than nothing though. If it is a little practice amp get it as close to the singers ears as you can. If not you can either use one PA cab for the audience and one for a monitor or twist the PA speakers sideways so some of the sound spills on stage.

Don't know if you found this http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/junkyard/sound_good_in_the_rehearsal_room.html

Good luck