Hey does anyone know the effect Alex Lifeson uses during the Limelight solo and all throughout the song?? If anyone knows that would be awesome, Thanks. Please discuss!
TC Electronic Chorus/Flanger.
http://www.tcelectronic.com/scf.asp

It's around $300, though. Any bright chorus should be fine, though. it's a pretty generic chorus sound.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Sep 22, 2010,
Yes, i'm sure. He talked about some of the stuff he used during the "Moving Pictures" sessions, i can't remember where though. I'll try to find the article online, but i'm pretty sure it was in Guitar Player, Guitar World or Guitar One.

EDIT: nevermind, I shit the bed on this one. he was taking about Snakes and Arrows, the TC wasn't even around in '81
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Sep 22, 2010,
Pretty sure any random Boss chorus will do it just fine. I use my GT-8's chorus to do it.
Ok, because during the solo, I hear a lot of things going on like small delays and some chorus and a tiny bit of flange lol so I was just wondering exactly what I should get.
I always reccomend the Dano Cool Cat chorus (NOT the Fab or Mini). it's a solid chorus on the cheap.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Yeah, it'll probably be able to do the sound. My only quarrel with MFX units is if it craps out on you in the middle of a show, there goes all your effects. the likely hood of a pedalboard full of different pedals all crapping out is close to nil. just keep that in mind.

plus, when you get a multi effect unit, it's rare that you'll like every effect on there. if you buy individual pedals, you can reallt tailor your sound.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
So... If I wanted to make that Limelight sound on my own, I would be better off getting the TC electronic chorus/flanger pedal and some other crap? But idk, I listened to the Boss GT-10 and it sounds very good.
Quote by Rockwontdie
So... If I wanted to make that Limelight sound on my own, I would be better off getting the TC electronic chorus/flanger pedal and some other crap? But idk, I listened to the Boss GT-10 and it sounds very good.

Oh, for sure, the GT-10 will do the tone, i was jsut laying out some pros/cons.

well, cons
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Up until the last ten years or so, Lifeson got his chorus sound out of a Roland Jazz Chorus 2x12 amplifier that he's had forever. He recently had a picture of himself published playing through that same 1970's-era amp. With that in mind, a good Boss chorus would be fine. If you're willing to spend the extra cash, I'd get the Red Witch Empress chorus. The thing is truly fantastic.

Don't forget to add some delay, too. For Moving Pictures, Lifeson used Advanced Audio and Roland Digital Delays. More recent offerings from any number of companies will be better and less expensive than those old units. I recommend the Boss Giga Delay.

And if you're really, really curious:

http://www.ivideosongs.com/search/artist/rush/1630.aspx

Here is the man himself; Alex Lifeson talking about the gear he used and showing you how to play Limelight, The Spirit of Radio and Tom Sawyer note for note. What more could you ask for?
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by Rockwontdie
So also, should I get the Boss DD-7 Delay? It sounds really good to me.

It's a good one. I like the Boss Giga Delay better, but it is more expensive and takes up a huge space on your pedalboard. I got mine at a dirt cheap price during a sale, so I went for it. But the DD-7 should serve you very well.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by Rockwontdie
Oh ok that sounds good thanks. So How much does a Boss GT-8 go for?

$500 USD.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater