I'm in the market for a new geetar, and I've recently looked at the RR3/RR5 Used. I'm just wondering, can the JB handle any extremely high gain metal without getting muddy? It'll probably be played though a 6505+ 112 unless I find something better.
Doesn't Wil Adler use a JB in his custom Eclipse?
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Oh, yes, he does. I didn't realize that. I was looking at Mark Morton's guitar, because I thought it had a JB, but it didn't. Thanks.
No problem =)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Oh yeah. Definitely. I use my JB for decently high-gain post-hardcore/metalcore. It doesn't get muddy, and it really doesn't muddy up from cranking the gain. I don't like that sound at all. Granted you EQ the pickup right with your amp, you can get the JB to play anything. It's quite articulate.

Not that great for cleans, too harsh, I find.
Yeah, in my experience it's not a very fat or warm sounding pickup. I've taken it up to Exodus levels and it doesn't muddy up though.
Please excuse my godawful username. I was thirteen.
Please note that Adler uses a Mesa Boogie Mark IV to get his tones. Always remember that a good amp will get you further than pickups will.
Quote by Arterial
Please note that Adler uses a Mesa Boogie Mark IV to get his tones. Always remember that a good amp will get you further than pickups will.

He wasnt asking about tone, he was asking whether the JB would get muddy under high gain applications. But thanks anyway.
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Didnt Dave Mustaine use the JB/59 combo until he got his custom Duncans?
Quote by JAustinMunn

My first guitar still has residue from an unfortunate ranch dressing incident

Quote by jpnyc
I played this guitar once. It unleashed the ****ing fury and I got kicked out of Guitar Center.
Oh god yes. Pair it with an amp or distortion pedal that produces distinct yet fuzzy harmonics and, well, it’s just great.
Yep, it'll work a treat through a 6505. I've played my Jackson (Alder body) through them a few times, and its surprisingly tight, run with cranked gain. It's definitely more 'punchy' than 'crunchy' imo though.
kinda. it has enough output for it, but it's not incredibly tight, depending on the guitar it's in anyway...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I got a JB in my bridge position, and it's my favorite pu.
Also have a SD '59 but I prefer the JB for metal... it rocks and doesn't get muddy, you can always tell the notes apart.
Gear:
MXR Super Badass -->
BOSS SD WAZA -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
MXR M300 REVERB -->
TC ELECTRONIC FLASHBACK
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
BOSS KATANA HEAD 100 WATT -->
MILF Tease
Yes, the JB can handle high gain metal no problem. You just need to look at all of the different 'metal' guitars on the market equipped with the JB to see that it must be able to do the job.

However it seems to have a bit of a love/hate reputation going on. Lots of people think it's great, whereas others can't stand the tone. Personally I quite like it. I don't think it's fantastic, but i suppose I like it enough to not want to spend a lot of money on a replacement.
yes.i have a jb 59' set in my schecter classic. it's definitely good for metal, it has a nice high mid crunch to it, and it's definitely tight. but for drop tuned A brootz, probably not.
Member of The 7 String Legion

Peavey Triple X Head
Mahieu 4x12 Cab (celestion g12t-75)
Gibson Vixen
Schecter C-1 Classic
Various Pedals, and Guitars.
JB is a great pickup, just use it. Spend the money you save on chicks and beer.
Quote by Confuse-a-Cat
However it seems to have a bit of a love/hate reputation going on. Lots of people think it's great, whereas others can't stand the tone.

Guitar vendors tend to reverse the neck/bridge positions of pedals in the catalogs, web sites, and in-store hang-tags. And to make it worse, so does Schecter, and they make many ’59/JB combo guitars. This seems to have confused a lot of people into thinking that the JB gets muddy with downtuned riffing, when the ’59 is really the culprit.
van halen used a PAF. end of story. yes, a JB can definitely do metal. you amp dictates more at this point.

but yeah your not going to sound like synester gates with a JB. but alot dont like that tone anyways.