hey guys im experimenting with my guitar....is it ok to remove the pickup covers and play like that? whats the difference in sound?
It's possible, and some say it gives you a slightly brighter tone.
I suspect this is because the pickup cover evens out the magnetic field over a larger surface area, so it picks up a wider range of harmonics along the string at slightly lower amplitudes.

I could be wrong, I don't know the theory behind it.
Your pickups might buzz a little more uncovered.

Granted you can get the covers off easily, by all means go for it.
The difference is minimal. And by minimal, I mean what you're hearing is almost entirely placebo. And if its BKPs, Tim compensates for the cover so there is no difference at all.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Last edited by itchy guitar at Sep 22, 2010,
it's not placebo...

The coverings smoothen out the tone, from high to low. Whereas when you remove them you get a crisper tone out of them, with highs that will be noticeably brighter, maybe even too much for some people.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
Given that the covers are soldered to the base of the pickup which is in turn wired to ground, would the cover not stop a lot of the field from reaching the coils properly?
Quote by pot head pyro
Given that the covers are soldered to the base of the pickup which is in turn wired to ground, would the cover not stop a lot of the field from reaching the coils properly?

Yeah, covered pickups are quieter. Just putting a cover on a pickup will eliminate some extra hum, regardless of a ground wire being attached to it.

I think the look of covered pickups is quite sexy. Very sleek...