Inspired by Jake E. Lee, what are some techniques a whammyless-warrior could use to get a similar sound? I know about neck bending, and using the tuning pegs, but any other ideas? Something a little more practical maybe?
If you want to bend up I hit a harmonic and push on the string behind the nut. Ala Iron Maiden Fear of the dark.

In this video at ~1:15 or so its a decent way to show how it sounds. I know Micheal Paget does this in the solo of "Waking the Demon" when playing live...
I'll try to explain further if I wasn't clear enough.
Quote by Somekid94
If you want to bend up I hit a harmonic and push on the string behind the nut. Ala Iron Maiden Fear of the dark.

That was my first thought.
I just use pre-bends and slides. Slides mainly for the bigger distances that I can't bend to. You could try wearing a ring on your fretting hand and using it as a slide, too.
Here's another thing discovered by accident one day. Hit a natural harmonic on any fret and add some vibrato just before the note ends.
Quote by Somekid94

In this video at ~1:15 or so its a decent way to show how it sounds. I know Micheal Paget does this in the solo of "Waking the Demon" when playing live...
I'll try to explain further if I wasn't clear enough.

I forgot about that, but everytime I do that, the string goes sharp. Anyway of doing that and then releasing it back to normal? Like hitting G open, then go to Ab, then go back to G?
Quote by TomusAM
I forgot about that, but everytime I do that, the string goes sharp. Anyway of doing that and then releasing it back to normal? Like hitting G open, then go to Ab, then go back to G?

you need a better nut

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON