Hello, I have been looking into jazz basses for a LONG time because it takes A LOT of convincing for my parents to allow me to buy a new bass (should I add, with my own money). Anyways I was just wondering your guys' opinion on what the best bright sounding jazz bass (I like the alnicos). Doesn't have to be a fender, although i do prefer them. No fretless. 800-1500 american dollars.

Thanks,
Sam
One you can wrap around your parents' neck for not letting you spend your own money.

What about a MIA Precision or a MusicMan of some sort?
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Really it depends whether you have any preferences towards vintage specs or specific radius fingerboards etc.

If not, your best bet is probably just a good solid Fender USA Standard Jazz.
Fender MIA or MIJ would be a good bet, if you look for a used MIJ you could save a lot of money, they're typically not too terribly expensive.

A used Lakland Skyline 44-60 Vintage J or Darryl Jones would fit nicely into your budget. You could look at a G&L JB (either used US or new Tribute). If you looked in the right places, you could probably find a Pedulla Rapture (which is Jazz-esque, although not all have a J/J pup configuration) for around $1500.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
An MIA Fender Jazz is your best bet, but if you are looking for something a bit different and you want a lot of input into the features, take a look at Carvin's SB4000 and SB5000 (5-string version):

http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/index.php?model=sb4000

http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/index.php?model=sb5000
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Is an MIA standard going to really be better than a different MIJ jazz?
Quote by DFX11
Is an MIA standard going to really be better than a different MIJ jazz?

They're very similar quality-wise, although an MIA will be easier to get your hands on.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Tostitos
They're very similar quality-wise, although an MIA will be easier to get your hands on.

Yeah, thats what I thought, but are the American standard pickups like the alnico's in the 70's MIM? (I really like that bass)
Also keep in mind in the MIA/CIJ debate, the MIA has the graphite reinforced neck, the CIJ does not. The MIA has arguably the best and most stable neck out there.
Have to ask...do you still have the Behringer BXL900 that's on your profile?

If I were you, I'd stick with your Stiletto Custom and SR405 for a long time if it meant getting a better amp than that. It's definitely your bottleneck in terms of tone.
Nope, no sig here.
With a budget like that you can get pretty much anything you want, especially if you look used.
Get a Marcus Miller Jazz, Jazz basses are verstile as hell. The MM is even more so.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Theirs so many jazz bass's out thier.

Aswell as the fenders you have
Sadowsky metro's
lakland skylines
Sandbergs
and custom's.

Best to have a real good think and look around before making up your mind.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by Mutant Corn
Have to ask...do you still have the Behringer BXL900 that's on your profile?

If I were you, I'd stick with your Stiletto Custom and SR405 for a long time if it meant getting a better amp than that. It's definitely your bottleneck in terms of tone.

Yeah, I know, but my parents are even more against me getting a new amp than a new guitar...for some reason....
To TS: Christ man, move out! Whats the big deal? Its not like they're paying for it.

Can ya'll please stop the behringer bashing?
pinga
Do what John Entwistle did. tell them there's work in it. If they think you can make a living from it, they me be inclined to let you go for it.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Unless there is some compelling reason otherswise, always go with a Fender bass

No other brand holds most of its value.
I suggest a Geddy Lee jazz, I like it because its got a thinner neck than the American Standard, also better quality made in Japan compared to the US, in my opinion
Okay, well they say, "You already have two nice basses (stiletto-4 and sr405)" but I don't like the stiletto because it was the first "nice" bass I bought and I had no idea what I was doing when I bought it.
Quote by Raptorfingers
Unless there is some compelling reason otherswise, always go with a Fender bass

No other brand holds most of its value.

someone hasnt tried a warwick nor any other brands listed in this topic.

sadowsky's are the bomb tbh.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
Quote by Razgriz_101
someone hasnt tried a warwick nor any other brands listed in this topic.

sadowsky's are the bomb tbh.

If I've ever played a bass that failed to justify the price tag, it was a Sadowsky.
Quote by Ziphoblat
If I've ever played a bass that failed to justify the price tag, it was a Sadowsky.

+1

I'm always impressed by Sadowsky's build quality, but they've always seemed a bit lackluster to justify such a high price tag. IMO if you want a high end Fender-esque bass, there are more interesting routes to go.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Sandberg. Period.
The metric system, bro, the metric system.
Quote by TheIrishPatriot
Have sex to Colors. Warning: You may never feel as epic ever again.
WTF no one has mentioned G&L? the JB-2 is my next bass, once I get some money. Even the Tribute series are fantastic basses. I have a L2000 Tribute, seriously better than any Stingray I've ever played. The Tribute is a really nice option especially since the electronics are the same as the Americans and you can save a ton of money on them.
^ I suggested the JB series on the first page
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass