Well.... in the HSS you have a humbucker in the bridge so a fatter, hotter sound whereas in the SSS you have a regular single coil.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
well i kno that n all but im not sure how much each differs in sound, nd the mim strat if i buy 1 wuld be my 1st electric so im nt sure about which one wuld support my preferred sound
The "sound" is going to come SO much more from your amp really. What's your "preferred sound?" What styles of music do you play? I can ALMOST get the bridge of my strat to low output bucker standards with some tweaking, so the different between the two guitars isn't huge.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
If you're going to be playing Zepp and AC/DC you'll want the HSS I would think. That extra punch could be helpful for the heavier tones. You would still have the singles for Hendrix and Clapton and lighter pagey stuff.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
ok that makes sense, in the future, wen im more expirienced with an electric is it possible to replace the humbucker in a strat with a gibson 57 humbucker
Yeah! It's really pretty easy. And even if you don't know how to do it yourself a shop would probably do it for you for a small fee. Keep in mind that it won't sound as fat as it would in a Les Paul body but still, it can be done.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
ok but wat does the sss sound like then in comparison, everyone tells me the humbucker is a fatter sound but wats the up side to sss
There's not really an "up side." It's all preference. Some people like single coils, some like humbuckers. I personally think HSS strats are vile. I'll only accept HSH and only then as a modified super strat. I always think if you want buckers, get a LP, Ibanez, PRS, etc. Leave the strat the way it was! But once again, that's just my opinion.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
If you replace it with a Gibson-spaced '57 the E strings won't sound out properly. It's the entire reason F- and G-spaced humbuckers exist. I wouldn't worry though, I'm sure you can find a similar-sounding pickup with an F-space measurement.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
I wouldn't worry about pickup changing anytime soon. I'd get the HSS strat if I were you. If you didn't play heavier(ish) stuff then I'd say just get the SSS strat, but having the humbucker will allow you to have a more versatile setup.

Of course you're not going to get the "TRUE" gibson bucker tone with a Strat, but it's definitely something you can work with.
Well thats the thing with the strat i wont be goin for a gibson sound
honestly, youtube it. thats the best way to know without hearing it fror yourself. or, go to your shop and test some. if yourgoing to buy a guitar go test drive some. even if you dont buy one there, they will let you just in the hopes of making a sale.

honestly, when you factor in everybodys amp and effects settings, so much is going on that one persons strat will sound 10x heavier than anothers les paul. at some point it matters less and less.

then it is user preference and if you need a humbucker to drive an amp harder or something. there are differences, but its subtle. something you only understand with experience.
Quote by Fleebz
Well thats the thing with the strat i wont be goin for a gibson sound

seriously, your amp is going to be the biggest factor.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
don't know if i'd call any of the differences advantages as there are pros and cons for any point that can be made and it does come down to preference. i lean toward SSS myself. your notes and chords will have greater clarity even with alot of distortion. the downside is that your mistakes will be more noticeable (hwever this does force you to play cleaner which is a plus). more treble response with single coils (lacking in bass is the downside) as mentioned if you work with your amp and fx then you can get a pretty wide variety of tones. always play as many guitars as you can before making a choice. keep in mind that any choice you make will have compromises as no guitar can totally do it all perfectly.
Just throwin it out there, you're not gonna get a 100% true sss tone with an hss strat, even if you use coil tapping. The second magnet in the humbucker has that little extra bit of pull on the string, which throws it off just a hair. Not a huge difference at all, but you won't be able to get that true SSS sound unless you have 3 single coils. But, it's somewhat minimal, and if you want a moar versatile set up, HSS or even HSH with coil tapping is the way to go
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09