Hey guys. So my birthday just passed and I got a flood of money and I've been wanting to buy a wah for a while. Truth is, I don't know a damn thing about what kind of wah I should get or what to look for in a wah. I've tried out a few wahs at GC and other guitar stores and as far as I'm concerned, their isn't that much of a difference in sound.

Now I'm a noob at playing with a wah, but I think I got the gist of it while demoing it out at the stores. They all feel and function the same so idk whether I should buy the cheap $70 wahs, or go for the big $130+ as I know the more expensive the gear is, it is considerably better than its cheaper counterparts.

What I'm getting at is what do I look for in a wah? What kinds of sound/things should I try to avoid when buying a wah? Any help is appreciated.
Current/Main Gear
'06 MIA Fender Stratocaster
'97 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Lim. Ed.
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
well, they should be sturdy, it'll probably be the pedal that gets the most beating around. Another thing is the depth and range of it, like to go from very bassy to high treble tone, or maybe just a little bassy and a high treble tone, you get the idea. Some wahs like the 535q have knobs that can change the tone around a lot, from the tone, volume, a position selector that will change the center frequency of a wah, and possibly a fassel inductor switch, which will give it quite the boost, good for distorted stuff. Pedals like the Zakk Wylde signature automatically turn on the fasel inductor once you activate the pedal. Last thing i can think of is the possibility of having it spring activated, so you keep your foot on it or else it'll come right back up, i believe the morley wahs have this feature and the ibanez weeping demon does. This seems pretty jumbled up and probably confusing, sorry if it is.
I haven't tried any other wah pedal besides a standard Dunlop Crybaby. It has lasted me 3 years and still sounds the same as the day I got it, so its durability is a plus. The downside is that it's range is quite limited, especially when you play really high notes. It gets the job done, but if you can find a better one for the same price (got mine for $150), I say go for it.
Well, I'm kind of looking at the 535Q, which is what I tried at the store, but I'm also intrigued by the Slash wah as my playing style is greatly influenced by him. Should I go for the wah with the the capabilities of getting different tones or the wah that I would be best for my playing style? Wait, are all wahs adjustable tonewise?
Current/Main Gear
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
Quote by Jmoarguitar
well, they should be sturdy, it'll probably be the pedal that gets the most beating around. Another thing is the depth and range of it, like to go from very bassy to high treble tone, or maybe just a little bassy and a high treble tone, you get the idea. Some wahs like the 535q have knobs that can change the tone around a lot, from the tone, volume, a position selector that will change the center frequency of a wah, and possibly a fassel inductor switch, which will give it quite the boost, good for distorted stuff. Pedals like the Zakk Wylde signature automatically turn on the fasel inductor once you activate the pedal. Last thing i can think of is the possibility of having it spring activated, so you keep your foot on it or else it'll come right back up, i believe the morley wahs have this feature and the ibanez weeping demon does. This seems pretty jumbled up and probably confusing, sorry if it is.

lolwut?

the inductor is the heart of a Wah's tone, it doesn't boost the signal.

TS, check out the 535Q from dunlop. It's the best widely availiable wah for out there, imo.
Quote by EncoreBlade
Well, I'm kind of looking at the 535Q, which is what I tried at the store, but I'm also intrigued by the Slash wah as my playing style is greatly influenced by him. Should I go for the wah with the the capabilities of getting different tones or the wah that I would be best for my playing style? Wait, are all wahs adjustable tonewise?

The Slash wah sounds good, but it's not very adjustable and the distortion is pretty gimicky.

Not all wah have the adjustability of the 535Q, that's why it's reccomended a lot. the chance of you not being able to tweak a good sound out of it is very slim.

the only other way to adjust the soundd on most wahs is to open them up and mod them yourself, which isn't that hard. The two easiest mods I can think of doing on a stock GCB95 Crybaby is replacing the stock inductor and raising the value of the inductor that's parallel with the inductor. doing this gives the wah a warmer, smoother, more vocal quality. It's a total 180 from a stock crybaby.

here's a good site for reference should you decide to buya cheapo wah (hopefully used for maximum savings).
http://www.stinkfoot.se/andreas/diy/mods/dunlop.htm#_modding_the_wah
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Sep 22, 2010,
basically depends on how much gain you plan on using- some wahs are made for clean/low gain whilst others are intended for metal and high gain tones so won't sound good for genres such as blues.
Gibson Les Paul Standard 2004
Fender Telecaster Custom 72RI 2009
PEDALZ
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60DSP
Fender Blues Junior
Ashton MPA100
Quote by Andrew C. S.
I haven't tried any other wah pedal besides a standard Dunlop Crybaby. It has lasted me 3 years and still sounds the same as the day I got it, so its durability is a plus. The downside is that it's range is quite limited, especially when you play really high notes. It gets the job done, but if you can find a better one for the same price (got mine for $150), I say go for it.

O.o

You paid $150 for a GCB-95? That's over double the normal price.

TS, what styles do you play and what are some wah tones you like?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
O.o

TS, what styles do you play and what are some wah tones you like?

Well I really like the wah in alot of Slash's solos, but I also enjoy the way John Frusciante from RHCP uses his wah. I'm thinking I want a sound like John's but a little of slash's tone thrown in there.
Current/Main Gear
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
Check out the Ibanez WH10V2. Nails the Frusciante sound. Unfortunately Slash's is pretty different so you won't really find a wah that can do both. A good middle ground would be the MXR/CAE wah and the Teese RMC3.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

god, i like the RMC's, i use a clyde deluxe myself. both use certain parts they had manufactured for their specs (wanna say the fulltone uses a custom sealed inductor and the teese uses a custom pot). i used a gcb-95 for ~11 years before going to the clyde and i got the clyde deluxe cuz a played a maestro boomerang that the owner didn't want to sell (in fact he got pissed when he saw me playing it) and the clyde deluxe had a boomerang model AND a clyde wah onboard (i actually emailed teese and that is what he recommended me).

i personally never dug on the 535Q, but some people really love the boost and Q features, i'd rather buy a teese when getting into that money.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
god, i like the RMC's, i use a clyde deluxe myself. both use certain parts they had manufactured for their specs (wanna say the fulltone uses a custom sealed inductor and the teese uses a custom pot). i used a gcb-95 for ~11 years before going to the clyde and i got the clyde deluxe cuz a played a maestro boomerang that the owner didn't want to sell (in fact he got pissed when he saw me playing it) and the clyde deluxe had a boomerang model AND a clyde wah onboard (i actually emailed teese and that is what he recommended me).

i personally never dug on the 535Q, but some people really love the boost and Q features, i'd rather buy a teese when getting into that money.

i love my clyde standard, it does exactly what i want it to and nothing more. if you want to go versatile, i would do the clyde delux. but with the basic clyde, you either like it or you dont, i happen to love it.

the RMC 3, is agruably the most versatile and the best wah out there, as many people will tell you.

i agree with not really liking the 535Q, and hate the fact that it gets recommended so much, but it is indeed the most flexible, but doesn't do anything that great, in my opinion.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
TS, if you stuck it in right now I would feel satisfied.

On topic, if you're gonna buy something, don't half ass it and get something you won't be happy with in a month just because it's cheap and you can buy it sooner.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Quote by gumbilicious

Both use custom pots and inductors. I think they both used off the shelf stuff back in the day but now they're both large enough to get anything they need custom made. And that's part of the reason I really like Geoffrey Teese. He's honest with what he builds. Every time someone asks him that question he points them to the Fulltone. And I agree with him. The Clyde Deluxe I owned did a much nicer Boomerang sound than my RMC3 can do. Near identical to the vintage one I also had the choice of buying.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Sorry for reviving this thread but I had a question before I actually purchased something. Now, I was thinking of going towards the fulltone clyde because of the thorough, and I mean thorough , research I did on all the wahs that were mentioned. The fulltone was actually the one that caught my attention the most. However, you're all talking about the deluxe, but I'm really not willing to spend that extra $40 on it so I decided to get the standard clyde. Is it still alright for me to get the standard instead of the deluxe?
Current/Main Gear
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
To be honest. I own a Weeping Demon wah. I read a lot that people like them a lot. I really kind of think it sucks! I don't know, it might just be me, but I really find it really high pitched and screechie... I would go for a Cry Baby. Or you can always buy my WD haha:P
^ dude, he's looking into Clyde wahs. Crybabies and weeping demon wahs are definitely off the table at this point

TS, while the Clyde std is still an amazing wah, it just doesn't have the versatility of the Clyde dlx. i would say the extra $40 is well worth it.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
^What he said. They're all going to be great pedals, but some are just a little more greater.

By the way. I count that as being sigged.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.