Page 1 of 2
since a les paul might be just a tad bit expensive i may plan to get a sg. all i need to know if it can play punk. also if is it a light guitar?cuz i may want to play live i hope it doesn't put a strain on my shoulder -_-. thanks
1: any guitar can play punk.

2: the SG is light, I would say it might be a bitch with neck dive issues but i doubt its a problem for punk...i think?
you might as well have asked if penises were good for sex.

An SG will do just fine.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
because its light u can jump around onstage alot with it. ive played a few shows n havent had any issues with the weight at all. no shoulder pain. only thing is its neck heavy, so if you let go it will tip down, which is a little annoying at times but really no big deal and can be fixed. if you have a rough strap, the friction against your shirt will be enough to hold it up.
sg's are great for punk, especially if you want that old school raw sound.
Dick+strings= owww
Quote by forstringwonder
if you askin me what to use for punk
you aint punk

you sound so intelligent.

OT like everyone else said sg will be fine but if i may ask

Budget?
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
which one gimme, there are a lot of g-400 models
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

oh u can use anything for punk alot of bands use sg's they are great to play and light as **** one thing get good strap locks also get strap locks that dont poke out to much cause you'll bust your balls
Gear:
-Epiphone les paul special II
-Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by gutted_radical
oh u can use anything for punk alot of bands use sg's they are great to play and light as **** one thing get good strap locks also get strap locks that dont poke out to much cause you'll bust your balls

what is this i dont even.........

ts what specific model are you looking at.
roland AC90

The guy from Bad Religion uses one
Quote by JAustinMunn

My first guitar still has residue from an unfortunate ranch dressing incident

Quote by jpnyc
I played this guitar once. It unleashed the ****ing fury and I got kicked out of Guitar Center.
Quote by Skagasm
what is this i dont even.........

ts what specific model are you looking at.

If he does the jumping around and crap straplocks are a must.

the strap pin placement on the SG though would have one poking the player if it's too big.
Epi G-400 is especially neck heavy but there are ways to balance it up better (weight in the control cavity or the end of the strap). If you can stretch your budget a Gibson SG Special Faded is a better option. The normal SG range of sounds is perfect for Punk. Rich and dirty.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Lurcher
Epi G-400 is especially neck heavy but there are ways to balance it up better (weight in the control cavity or the end of the strap). If you can stretch your budget a Gibson SG Special Faded is a better option. The normal SG range of sounds is perfect for Punk. Rich and dirty.

buy used. can find fadeds for around the same price as a new epi.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
The Second Commandment of Punk Guitar:

To get that mean ****in' low end and still retain some highs in your sound, use only Gibson guitars. SG's and Les Pauls are the ultimate punk rock tools.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Fender MIM Standard Precision Bass (Ginger =])
Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II 700/50W Biamp Bass Head
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Choice is a wonderful thing.
Quote by siverstorm
If he does the jumping around and crap straplocks are a must.

the strap pin placement on the SG though would have one poking the player if it's too big.

ClipLock. Just as if not more secure, and no uncomfortably bulge at the neck joint.

Quote by Nolanrox

Joe Strummer would like a word with you.

Anyway, TS, when I went to see The Who, the opener was a punk band, and their guitarist was using an SG. Sounded pretty good I thought. Amazingly I still remember their name even though I've never heard anything about them ever since...but enough rambling, yes, SG's will do well.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-84
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-1
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 32-15
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Sep 23, 2010,
Quote by Nolanrox

+1

Quote by necrosis1193
Joe Strummer would like a word with you.

Actually, he'd like it with Brian Baker and Greg Hetson. They're the ones behind the 'ten commandments'.

http://physicianhealthyself.com/notes_on_a_dirty_napkin/
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Last edited by STABxYOU at Sep 23, 2010,
Quote by STABxYOU
Actually, he'd like it with Brian Baker and Greg Hetson. They're the ones behind the 'ten commandments'.

http://physicianhealthyself.com/notes_on_a_dirty_napkin/

Alright, I still stand by my point. We all know Joe Strummer used a telecaster, and Johnny Ramone's Ventures guitar had a single-coil in the bridge. I've seen it with my own eyes when I went to the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame. Both actually, while the Ventures guitar was in a "No pics" area, I was able to get some photos of the telecaster for anyone interested. I'm pretty sure The Ramones and The Clash are more right on Punk's rules than Bad Religion.

Again, I think the SG would be great. I just think that the Les Paul and SG aren't the end-all-be-all guitars for Punk.

Last edited by necrosis1193 at Sep 23, 2010,
Quote by necrosis1193
I'm pretty sure The Ramones and The Clash are more right on Punk's rules than Bad Religion.

I'd argue Minor Threat and Circle Jerks > The Clash and The Ramones any day.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Quote by STABxYOU
I'd argue Minor Threat and Circle Jerks > The Clash and The Ramones any day.

There was a time when I was an avid punk fan and would take this challenge, thinking I could win, but my taste has changed, so I'll concede this argument good sir.

But enough rambling. Yes, the SG will be great for you TS.

Quote by necrosis1193
There was a time when I was an avid punk fan and would take this challenge, thinking I could win, but my taste has changed, so I'll concede this argument good sir.

Actually, I think I agree with your mindset. It's all about taste, and punk is ultimately about being selfish and doing what you like, regardless of how others may perceive it.

That's why there's so many divergent offshoots of it, and that's why it's fun.

Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
The Ten Commandment of Punk Rock Guitar (as per Brian Baker of Minor Threat and Greg Hetson of Bad Religion/Circle Jerks):

- Treat your guitar like shit and it will respect you.
- To get that mean ****in' low end and still retain some highs in your sound, use only Gibson guitars. SG's and Les Pauls are the ultimate punk rock tools.
- Use only downstrokes. Downstrokes are the key to unlocking all punk rhythms.
- Plaster your guitars with stickers to prove that you're an individual. Remember, being uncool is cool, so one Van Halen is worth three Sex Pistols stickers.
- The Marshall JMP 100-Watt master volume head is the Holy Grail of amps. Other people get all hot and bothered about what kind of speakers and cabinets they use, but that's all bullshit. You can plug the JMP into virtually anything and it's going to sound wonderful.
- No open tunings. Grunge is not punk rock.
- Don't be self-indulgent. Limit your guitar solos to eight bars or less. Otherwise, you're playing metal.
- Never, ever play a show with a cigarette hanging out of your mouth. It's incredibly painful when a stage diver pushes off your face and smashes the red-hot cherry into your cheek.
- It may be punk to be ****ed up at your day job, but when you take the stage you should be straight. It's hard to play music with intensity and speed when you're drunk.
- Do not stack Marshall cabinets. That's not punk, it's arena rock. The Ramones are the only band exempted from this rule.
Quote by Skagasm
you sound so intelligent.

OT like everyone else said sg will be fine but if i may ask

Budget?

the minimalist σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
I must say that "10 Commandments" list is one of the dumbest things I've ever read; I really hope it was meant to be tongue-in-cheek.

Then again, Minor Threat, Circle Jerks, and Bad Religion all suck.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
yeah sg's are good for punk. Frankie stubbs from leatherface always plays one and i think the other guy in the band does too.
Its punk, nobody cares what you play.
I pride myself on my humility.
Quote by Sleaze Disease
I must say that "10 Commandments" list is one of the dumbest things I've ever read; I really hope it was meant to be tongue-in-cheek.

Then again, Minor Threat, Circle Jerks, and Bad Religion all suck.

I'm unsure, but I thought it was worth posting. I like Jaguars and Teles and love AC30s and Deluxe Reverbs, and I'm a punk fan,... it's really all up to taste. Joe Strummer used a Tele into a Musicman amp and Mick Jones played a Les Paul into a Mesa Boogie, so go figure.
Quote by RG_FANMAN
The Ten Commandment of Punk Rock Guitar (as per Brian Baker of Minor Threat and Greg Hetson of Bad Religion/Circle Jerks):

- Treat your guitar like shit and it will respect you.
- To get that mean ****in' low end and still retain some highs in your sound, use only Gibson guitars. SG's and Les Pauls are the ultimate punk rock tools.
- Use only downstrokes. Downstrokes are the key to unlocking all punk rhythms.
- Plaster your guitars with stickers to prove that you're an individual. Remember, being uncool is cool, so one Van Halen is worth three Sex Pistols stickers.
- The Marshall JMP 100-Watt master volume head is the Holy Grail of amps. Other people get all hot and bothered about what kind of speakers and cabinets they use, but that's all bullshit. You can plug the JMP into virtually anything and it's going to sound wonderful.
- No open tunings. Grunge is not punk rock.
- Don't be self-indulgent. Limit your guitar solos to eight bars or less. Otherwise, you're playing metal.
- Never, ever play a show with a cigarette hanging out of your mouth. It's incredibly painful when a stage diver pushes off your face and smashes the red-hot cherry into your cheek.
- It may be punk to be ****ed up at your day job, but when you take the stage you should be straight. It's hard to play music with intensity and speed when you're drunk.
- Do not stack Marshall cabinets. That's not punk, it's arena rock. The Ramones are the only band exempted from this rule.

I'm calling bullshit.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
SG's in my opinion are some of the most stretchable guitars ever. I've played some Megadeth, then played some U2 and I felt it was a good fit.
Killing is my business...and business is not good
Quote by MortifiedLizard
I'm calling bullshit.

What are you, 12? Google it if you must, there's a good 5 or 6 links in the first page of results that takes you to those exact words.
Quote by GimmeRock
ok but i don't know whats better, the normal g400 or the '66 limited g400?

Out of those 2, the '66, but if you go used you can get a Gibson SG for around the same price as those are new.

In any case, it really shouldn't matter what you get if you are playing true punk (which I doubt considering you're on UG).
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Page 1 of 2