With a V3, would I be able to get up to Protest the Hero, Dream Theater levels of gain? And would I be able to get a good bedroom sound?
I'll pretend I can mod your amp but break it instead.
The V3 is one of the most versatile amplifiers being made these days and you can get all sorts of tones out of it. It has more gain than you'll ever need. Whether you can get those specific tones - John Petrucci has an impressive array of effects contributing to his tone - has a lot to do with your other equipment, but a V3 would certainly be a solid choice.

As for getting a good bedroom sound out of it, that's debatable. You are talking about a 100-watt all tube amplifier that is freakishly loud. Even with the master volume set as low as possible, it definitely ain't a headphone amp.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I just looked up if you can and you can switch it to a 50 watt mode, a little less quiet. I was able to get a great tone in music store volume in the carvin store.
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
Quote by FatalGear41
John Petrucci has an impressive array of effects contributing to his tone

Explain? How many effects would he be running for his dry rhythm tone? Probably none, maybe a lot of EQ and compression in the studio though. For his lead tone, probably just delay and reverb.. and again some studio work. Where does his impressive array of effects contribute to his tone? He even said on their latest record, he wanted to go as raw as possible and only used 1 SM57 in front of the cab to record.

Just sayin.

But anyway, yes the V3 will get you into gain levels of the bands you listed. It's just a matter of if you dig it's tone.
Last edited by Ignite at Sep 23, 2010,
Quote by Ignite
Explain? How many effects would he be running for his dry rhythm tone? Probably none, maybe a lot of EQ and compression in the studio though. For his lead tone, probably just delay and reverb.. and again some studio work. Where does his impressive array of effects contribute to his tone? He even said on their latest record, he wanted to go as raw as possible and only used 1 SM57 in front of the cab to record.

Just sayin.

But anyway, yes the V3 will get you into gain levels of the bands you listed. It's just a matter of if you dig it's tone.

petrucci adds chorusing, reverbs and delays in most aspects of his tone with his aim being to make his guitar sound as big as possible so to fill up the mix with only one guitar. listening to his base tone it actually comes across as very stale tone without the fx.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

Thats the problem, I don't have a chance to try it as no store near me has one (I live in Nebraska). Are there any other amps that can get me up to the gain with good cleans? Preferable lower wattage
How much gain does a Mesa/Boogie Lonestar Special have on tap? How are the crunch tones? The clean?
Yeah. I've owned a V3 for over 2 years now, and have been SUPER happy with the results. It's got a great, tight sound to the distortion. You'll certainly be able to play Protest The Hero stuff on it, and to John Petrucci sounds. John Petrucci though has a very processed sound, i.e pedals as they've said about.

The V3 is probably the greatest thing you can get for it's price. You won't be disappointed

*EDIT* I have mine set to 50 Watt setting. There's a 3db change in volume, which isn't noticeable to myself, but it means it breaks up much sooner, like around master 3 or so, instead of about 4.5 (which is Suuupa loud!)

Bed room playing comes down to how loud you play in your bedroom... I play through 2 cabs in my bedroom. Depends where you live I guess!
Carvin V3 - Matamp 4x12 - VHT Valvulator - Maxon OD808 - Visual Volume Pedal

EH Cathedral - Ibanez DE7
Last edited by Iveness92 at Sep 23, 2010,
Quote by Ignite

Just sayin.

Here is Petrucci's gear, straight from the man himself. Read it and weep (or at least be ready to take a second mortgage on you house):

http://www.johnpetrucci.com/gear.htm
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley