I've heard terrible things about pretty much every trem I know of, so I was wondering, what are some really good trems? For example, in this video around 3:30, Vai yanks the shit out of his whammy bar and maintains perfect tuning. What was he using, and what are some other high-end ones?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw74sDWPH7U&ob=av2e
Quote by Duane_Allman
Your gayer than me, and thats pretty gay.
Quote by Twist of fate
If there's blood on the field, play ball.
[center]
The
e|--3---0---0--|
B|--0---1---0--|
G|--0---2---1--|
D|--0---2---2--|
A|--2---0---2--|
E|--3---x---0--|
You just lost.[/CENTER]
If I'm not mistaken, Vai uses a Original Floyd Rose, which IMHO, is the best floating bridge available. Kahler make some pretty nice bridges, but to me they are too easily worked with. I like the force it takes to wrestle a FR down.
Schecter Hellraiser C7 FR/Bareknuckle Cold Sweat/Liquifire
Godin A12 - For Sale
1991 EBMM Silhouette
Emperor 2x12

7+>6, ERG Legion

Like going fast?
That's kinda where I'm confused. Every time I hear about a Floyd Rose, it is usually accompanied with comments about bad tuning stability. Does this have to do with people using the term Floyd Rose interchangeably with any floating bridge?
Quote by Duane_Allman
Your gayer than me, and thats pretty gay.
Quote by Twist of fate
If there's blood on the field, play ball.
[center]
The
e|--3---0---0--|
B|--0---1---0--|
G|--0---2---1--|
D|--0---2---2--|
A|--2---0---2--|
E|--3---x---0--|
You just lost.[/CENTER]
Quote by *kill'emall*
That's kinda where I'm confused. Every time I hear about a Floyd Rose, it is usually accompanied with comments about bad tuning stability. Does this have to do with people using the term Floyd Rose interchangeably with any floating bridge?

there is a really easy fix to all the pain in the ass floyd rose problems. get a tech to take care of them for ya. you should hear them complain (like SRV's tech would constantly be finding new parts for his fender trems after shows cuz he was hell on em). it's expensive, but it works miracles.

i think they may use the term interchangeably a bit, but i think it is mostly that the average guitarist really doesn't know how to set up a guitar like a professional, and doesn't feel like doing the routine maintenence to keep them working as good as vai's (or hammet's, or whoever else).
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Sep 22, 2010,
Yep, pretty much. If a Floyd Rose is set up, there will be no tuning problems whatsoever. Licensed Floyd Roses are a different story, as they are made of cheaper, softer metal and the knife edges wear and degrade over time and use, so after awhile you lose a bit of tuning stability.
Schecter Hellraiser C7 FR/Bareknuckle Cold Sweat/Liquifire
Godin A12 - For Sale
1991 EBMM Silhouette
Emperor 2x12

7+>6, ERG Legion

Like going fast?
^Not all LFRs are crap.
Vai uses Ibanez Edge's and LoPro's (and the Edge Pro in the acrylic JEM20th), which are Ibanez's LFR's, but they are (IMO) better than an Original Floyd. They have a bit more mass, locking studs and they refined the design a little.
The Edge isn't exactly an LFR, simply because LFRs are often inferior to the OFR. I'd classify the Ibanez Edge as separate and apart from Floyd Rose simply for the reason that the original Edge bridges were extremely high quality but are sadly out of production. Of course, the new Edge Pro and LoPro bridges are great as well.

Anyway, OP, if you set up your trem well and have a good locking nut and keep everything in running order, your FR will give you very little grief. It's almost like a car - take care of it well and you'll be fine, but treat it like crap and you'll get crap results, with some cars (tremolo bridges) taking hard driving better than others.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Well, technically the Edge and LoPro are LFR's, just good ones.
And the Edge not out of production anymore! All 2010 JEM's and JS's have the Original Edge again, and Universes and Apex's get the LoPro 7. The Edge Pro is still great (I mean, would Ibanez really have put it in every Prestige and J-Custom since 2003 if it was crap?) and the new Edge Zero is good too.
ZR bridge FTW!

That's really all I have to contribute.

But yeah, if you set up any floating bridge up properly (given that it's not worn out), it's tuning stability should be fantastic especially if it's double locking. I don't have to tune for days if I'm not too abusive on the whammy.
^I've heard from some people with Edges and LoPros (even on late 80's/early 90's guitars) that they really only need to tune when they change strings
My team j craft ibanez prestige 2570e has the edge pro and it functions perfect......