hi

i have been playing three years now and i dont know much about keys something that been killing my ability to play lead over my songs , but anyway here is a progression that sounded good to me and i need to know the key of it so i can add some licks over them

1 : Am , F
2: Am , Em , D

note : both progression are for one song

thanks in advance
"It's peace at last, or peace at least"
Last edited by shadow-guitar at Sep 23, 2010,
It's most likely in A minor. Accordingly you use the A minor scale over it.

The D major seems to be borrowed from the parallel major, over this chord you'll want to employ an accidental so the scale doesn't clash, most specifically the F# note. So over that chord, you'll want to sharpen the 6th of the minor scale.

Hope that helps.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
A minor. With that u can use a minor pentatonic, an a minor sweep arpeggio, a aeolian, which is basically a minor. The possibilities are endless.
Unless you're getting into more complicated stuff, then 75-80% of the time the key is gonna be the first chord you play.
It's the same thing in a lot of classical music, the key is often the first note that's played.
Gotta finish my work, then play some grooves, so I can turn my room into a house of blues...
Couldnt the key be G major? Am is the ii to vi to V? The F could be borrowed from mixo?
Quote by jpnyc
You are what they call a “rhythm guitarist”. While it's not as glamorous as playing lead you can still get laid. Especially if you can sing and play.

Beer is the solutions to the world's problems.