Yo

I'm currently in college in the bay area.
My plan is to generally stay inside for the first year of college to just learn my chops and get adjusted to the San Francisco Bay Area. And then for the rest of the years I will start joining bands via craigslist.

Should I just get a small dorm amp and then sell it off later then get a bigger amp for when I start practicing with other people? or should i just have a medium size amp with a headphone jack right now?
ESP LTD M-100FM Tone Zone (B)/Breed Neck (N) w/ Coil Splits
Fender Electro-Acoustic
Line6 Studio UX2
BOSS DD-6 Digital Delay/DS-1 Distortion Robert Keeley ULTRA Mod
Electro Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb
Dunlop SW-95 Crybaby Slash Wah
A good solid state amp with modeling would be ideal, IMO. plenty of tonal options, they often have headphone jacks, and they can be turned down to a low volume.

Get one that will be able to keep up in a band situation, one that's around watts. That's a good amount of power able to keep up with a drummer.

Here's some options I know of:
Line 6 Flextone III (Buy used.)
Peavey Vypyr 75
Vox VT50
I got a Flextone 3 a few weeks ago and it's really decent for bedroom playing and rehearsals with the band. It has a great variety of tonal options that resemble the amp models well enough that you can get an idea of what kinds of amps you like and what you don't for future reference.

Judging from bands I always figured I'd be a Mesa Boogie man but I actually like the Hiwatt and Marshall models better, meaning I probably would've been happy with a JCM800 than a dual rectifier. Glad I got the flextone!
Just use software modeling and headphones. It’s not perfect, but it’s infinitely better than trying to coax a good guitar sound out of a 10" Celestion at whisper volumes.
I use a Line 6 Toneport with POD Farm through headphones on my laptop. I don't think anything can beat that for practice, except maybe a better program then POD Farm. POD Farm is still excellent though.
Quote by Levi79
Best option would be to get a used POD XT or X3 for 200 bucks or something and hook it up to some decent speakers.

If your dead set on an amp, I wouldn't reccomend a Valvetronix. It's muddy and gross. If you get a modelling amp get a vypyr or cube.

Valvetronix muddy and gross? What are you talking about? My VT50 can get muddy with a big treble roll off but can also get very crisp sounding too. Valvtronix
are great in my opinion.
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
Peavey Vypyr, you can't go wrong with them. Yeah, it's a bit of a toy and not suitable for playing live if you go with a 15watt, but they are just perfect for playing in your room. I have a peavey xxx for playing loud, but my peavey vypyr 15 is so handy for carrying around and having something small and awesome to play on when I'm out on the deck or traveling.
Peavey XXX 40efx
Schecter C1+ (sd 59bA4 neck/sd Custom8 Bridge)
Washburn Idol WI45(AirNorton/CrunchLab)

ESP/LTD Viper 300(EMG81b,89n)
Boss SD-1, Crybaby, MXR 6-band EQ,
Digitech DL-8 Delay Looper, SupaCharga
Hmm, I'm looking to play mostly metal with this thing, something that can handle some decent chugging. But I also play some things that require some nice cleans, i also like to do some blues once in a while. So basically something versatile.

What's this about the Line6 Toneport? It sounds interesting and compact.
Has anyone else had experience with the Toneport with the POD Farm?

EDIT: I see it also depends on computer hardware or else it could lag and sound choppy. I think my laptop should be able to run it though. Just gonna google some computer requirements

Over at the local GC in San Francisco they have roland cubes and some Line6's, I'm not sure about the vypyrs, but I'll check next time i'm there. I can get some decent headphones with it too so it doesn't bother anyone.
Fender Electro-Acoustic
Line6 Studio UX2
Last edited by Esparko at Sep 25, 2010,
Vypyr Tube 60, it has a headphone jack and will be able to bring the volume when you need to jam with a band.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Alright, I think I've narrowed it down between the Line 6 Pod Studio UX2 and the Peavey Vypyr.

But the Pod Studio looks really interesting for me right now because of the compact-ness and recording capabilities, i might go with that.
Fender Electro-Acoustic
Line6 Studio UX2
Save money: buy a Behringer UCG102 guitar-to-USB adapter and a copy of Peavey Revalver HP. For under $120 you get USB connectivity, five great Peavey amp models and and a couple dozen effects. It’s a steal.
i play through an axe-fx ultra, with a pair of dynaudio bm5a mk2's, which are active monitors. i'd recommend a setup of this sort.
"Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the boat." -Mark Twain