Right, to give a bit of background.
My band's bassist's girlfriend's brother (just to keep it simple ) is in a Ska band (and used to be in a fairly popular ska band which toured england and ireland a few times) who my band are fairly close with (we use the saxophonist's studio to practice and have gigged with the band a couple of times).

Anyway, their drummer was on holiday so my drummer came in while he was on holiday, shortly after this they fired their lead guitarist and singer. So I was suggested as a replacement (playing lead guitar only, the aforementioned guy does rhythm guitar and lead vocals now) though I have/had/still don't know how permanent my position within the band is.

I've played two gigs while with the band (only two weeks...) managed to learn their 10-ish song set-list in three days and have made sure not to cause any problems with the music (i.e. learning the songs extensively so any problems with the sound aren't based around not knowing the songs) in as proffessional style as possible.

Anyway!
My main question, as I really want to stay with this band (my band are currently slowly sinking due to a real lack of vision, I mean, I'm a fusion guy, the drummer's a prog guy, the bassist an altrock guy and the singer is a sort of...emo/screamo/nu-metal type so it's hard to get one vision) not only cos it's great fun with them, but it'll give me great stuff to put in my "portfolio" for university in a couple of years.

So I'm wondering any ways I can really dazzle them or make me seem insanely committed.
I was going to mention last night at practice that I've learnt all the songs they're planning on doing, but I hadn't learnt the songs for my band who were also present, I thought it might cause some uncomfort.

Apparently the decision will essentially be aided by the drummer when he comes back, which is in a couple of days, assumably next practice (next week sometime) I'll find out what's happening, and apparently the drummer pretty much loves the guy they fired, and also may have a guy in mind. So I'm a bit worried about my own position, so I really need to dazzle them and make them feel they need me in the band.

Okay...
As that was a bit rambly I'll make a "TL;DR":
I'm currently in a band, possibly as a temp, but I don't want there to be any possibility of me being a temp, I want a permanent spot, so I need ways to make them think I'm the best possible option to have as lead guitarist.
I already know the songs they do, and the ones they're thinking abotu doing next, and their original songs (including one they don't do anymore), what else can I do to seem like I'm committed?
(Preferably without seeming too eager, I haven't fully judged their opinions yet.)

Thanks.
Just Flat out ask them if they think of you as a temp or permanent. If they think of you as permanent, you're golden. If not, then you have a couple of choices, either be direct and tell them that you would like to have a permanent position, or drop hints around them i.e. "really this band is what takes up most of my time" or "I'm really glad you guys asked me to be a part of the band, it's really fun." Outside of those things there's not a whole lot you can do.
...just realised I majorly typo'd "Bit of" in the thread title.

I pretty much do tell them stuff like that, and I guess I will have to be direct at some point. I'm just worried that they'll think I'm too assuming or something?
If you are brought in as a replacement for someone who has left the band or was fired from the band, it is generaly considered that the job is yours unless otherwise specified.
If you are brought in as a replacement for a member who is ill or has other commitments (family, ect) that make them temporarily unavailable, then it is generaly considered that your position is temporary.

They may be thinking about auditioning other guitarists, but they'd be mad to be looking for someone else if you are adequate in your playing and personality and now know the set.
Quote by tonybony1491
Just Flat out ask them if they think of you as a temp or permanent. If they think of you as permanent, you're golden. If not, then you have a couple of choices, either be direct and tell them that you would like to have a permanent position, or drop hints around them i.e. "really this band is what takes up most of my time" or "I'm really glad you guys asked me to be a part of the band, it's really fun." Outside of those things there's not a whole lot you can do.

That's two extremes you have there. The first approach is demanding and needy, the second a bit pussy-foot for my style. Do you just mention off the hand to a girl you like that you think about her all the time? Nah, you just ask her out. If you don't you really should. And also telling a band "that they take up most of your time" sounds like you're too busy to be in the band.

Just tell the band at the end of next practice, or at next gig (whatever's first) that you really enjoy playing with them and would like to keep the job. How they react will generally give you the answer you are looking for.

As for the fired guy, well, he's the fired guy. Don't worry about that.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
That's two extremes you have there. The first approach is demanding and needy, the second a bit pussy-foot for my style. Do you just mention off the hand to a girl you like that you think about her all the time? Nah, you just ask her out. If you don't you really should.

This bit made me laugh!

On topic: Find myself agreeing with Slacker again.
SlackerBabbath, as much as I heard I was helping the band out, while they got sorted (they're needing a new singer, a trombone player and a keyboardist), what I heard initially was that the drummer knew a guy who he wanted to do the job, though I have no idea what's going on with that, personally I thikn they would be pretty insane to get rid of me, cos I'm very committed to these guys, moreso than my other band even, but I dunno what they're thinking.

AlanHB, the only problem with making a comment like that usually, is often when I'm with them, my other band is around (I think that'll change next practice as their drummer's back so there's no reason for my drummer to be about, meaning there's probably no reason for my bassist to be about (he knocks about sometimes to backing sing, more just to be around than anything else)) so I'll give that a shot.
Before the second gig with them the rythm guitarist/singer did ask me if I was up for the job, but I kind of stuttered and stumbled on my words when I replied so I don't know what he thought of it.

Thanks for all your advice.
This anticipation is what's killing me, cos I'm really hopeful about this band, it's got like, one session musician, an ex-studio drummer, someone who used to be in a touring band and an experienced bassist in it, meaning there'll be much more opportunities to just jump straight into the gigging/recording thing.
Where with my other band, the bassist's only been playing since the band started...which kinda sums up where we're at really! While I like that band, it's just not enough.
Especially considering that my possible uni courses will really dig me if i have a lot of experience with this stuff.
Just flat out ask. There's no point trying to be subtle. If they say they don't know then you need to encourage them to make a decision but it shouldn't really be a problem if you do everything perfectly.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
I guess yeah...

Well, last night he asked me if I wanted a jam so I was pretty hopeful, til on the way back he said something about "my band and your band" getting a gig and splitting the costs...mixed signals.

But he's also invited me to hang out with him and the saxophonist at the club that they're house band tonight (they're not playing tonight, their night was last week when I played with 'em).
So I'll probably bring some stuff up tonight.
Yeah just mention it, say something like, 'Hey, y'know I wouldn't mind doing this perminantly.' and see what reaction you get. They may be thinking that you're only helping them out because they are your friends but that you are more commited to your other band.

If they look at each other and smile with a relieved look on their face, you've cracked it.
That'd be fine, but I'm not sure if:

A) They assume I know I'm permanent (if I am permanent)
or
B) They assume I know I'm temporary (if I am temporary).

=/

I'm going in circles with myself, why can't things be black and white!?
Quote by Punk_Ninja
That'd be fine, but I'm not sure if:

A) They assume I know I'm permanent (if I am permanent)
or
B) They assume I know I'm temporary (if I am temporary).

=/

I'm going in circles with myself, why can't things be black and white!?

Then in that case the only thing you can do is simply ask them outright, just say 'Hey guys, I've been wondering, am I temporary or permanant?'

But just to weigh the odds on your side, do a gig with them first, and make sure you play a blinder.
I was in this position last night in a trio consisting of a singer, trumpet and myself on the guitar.

Although we'd been practicing together for a month or so, I wasn't completely sure whether they wanted me in, or wanted someone with better vocals, or a different way of approaching the solo guitar.

We did a gig, and a the end I just told them "hey guys, I really enjoy playing with you, if you're planning to keep this going I'd definately like to be a part of it".

The trumpet player (band leader) cracks a smile and says "I was just about to ask you if you wanted to stay on".

So there you have it, your situation, my advice, good result.

The alternative results are that they say "no", and you stop wasting your time and can invest it elsewhere. If they say "still looking around for other guitarists", ask for advice as to how they can choose you.

I don't know why your other band is always around, even at gigs and practice. That's just weird. I think the real problem is that you probably don't have too much confidence in yourself and really want a place in the band, so if they say "no" you really don't want to hear it.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
just ask:
is this a permanent kind of thing with me in the band or were you only looking for have me in for a little while?
unless you already asked. in which case asking again would be unnecessary
BrianApocalypse, sorry for the late reply, completely forgot about this thread.
But it didn't go so well, well...the old guitarist/singer has come back, this time he's willing of compromise so his problems are essentially fixed. Meaning there's no need for me. =/

But I gained a bit of bitter-satisfaction after hearing their new recording that they've put on their myspace, it's all good, except for this guitarist/singer's parts, which are all terrible and overbearing.

...and to be even more bitter I'm planning on covering the same song they did to tell myself I can do it better than him. >_>

Kraftmacaroni, the situation was a bit more fickle than knowing a definite yes/no as the band was facing some line-up changes, some absent band members and all sorts of other stuff, but either way, the problems sorted itself out now.
Quote by Punk_Ninja
BrianApocalypse, sorry for the late reply, completely forgot about this thread.
But it didn't go so well, well...the old guitarist/singer has come back, this time he's willing of compromise so his problems are essentially fixed. Meaning there's no need for me. =/

But I gained a bit of bitter-satisfaction after hearing their new recording that they've put on their myspace, it's all good, except for this guitarist/singer's parts, which are all terrible and overbearing.

...and to be even more bitter I'm planning on covering the same song they did to tell myself I can do it better than him. >_>

Kraftmacaroni, the situation was a bit more fickle than knowing a definite yes/no as the band was facing some line-up changes, some absent band members and all sorts of other stuff, but either way, the problems sorted itself out now.

Oh well, put it down to an experience gaining exercise and move on. I wouldn't bother covering the same song in public if I were you though as that may be construed as you bearing a grudge.
Remember, your reputation is paramount, it's the most important asset you can have as a performer, and that's not only with the audience but also with your fellow musicians, because quite often it's another musician who mentions you to someone else as a good person to work with that gets you work.

As it stands, this band will probably now be thinking of you as a genuinely nice guy who did them a great favour by standing in for their absent guitarist, think of that as money in the bank, it's an 'investment', and it's something that you really don't want to spoil.