Hey everybody, need some advice.
I'm going to be doing some home recording soon, and I need to mic both my guitar amp and my acoustic. I was going to go out and buy a Shure PG-81 for the acoustic, and a Shure SM-57 for the amp. However, I came across this today:
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/AKG-D-22-Dynamic-Instrument-Microphone?sku=275670
and it looks like it does both pretty well. Does anybody have any experience with this?
Quote by DevilsDance76
rigeljs is on the money...

PRS 513 Mahogany>Fulltone Clyde Wah>Tonebone Classic>MXR Dyna Comp>ISP Noise Decimator>Boss TU-2>Mesa Lonestar Special
Last edited by rigeljs at Sep 23, 2010,
No personal experience with that mic... however I can tell you from experience with other products that if something cheap advertises that it can do anything, it generally ends up sounding pretty mediocre. If you can afford the Shure mics, then that will serve you better in the long run. [DISREGARD]Though I think you have your mics mixed up... the SM57 is definitely what you want for your amp, and the PG-81 is an acoustic instrument mic.[/DISREGARD]

EDIT: HEY way to edit your post and make me look like an idiot! just kiddin brah.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Last edited by MortifiedLizard at Sep 23, 2010,
I've not used that specific mic, but it's virtually impossible to tell from an internet review/abstract how a mic will sound - there's no way that much info can be conveyed in words. What i can say though is that any mic which reckons it's good for everything probably isn't. I fail to see how a mic can pick up a kick drum and a wind instrument - it just can't happen!

i would go with the SM-57, they're absolutely standard workhorse mics which work very well and sound good (not quite exceptional)
My experience with the PG range is limited, but they're the cheap knockoffs of the SM range, think of them as a squier to your fender...

EDIT:
Quote by WtrPlyr
AKG makes quality products. I used two mics from them (don't remember which models) and I liked them better then the SM57.
Equally:- marshall make quality amps, i've played a '62 bluesbreaker and handwired '59, which played much nicer than a Vox AC30, so you're definitely better off with a Marshall MG than a vox AC30
Sorry to be harsh, but top end quality -> all their products are good...
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Last edited by doive at Sep 23, 2010,
Always good to have a SM57 in your aresnal.

What audio device are you using to recording into your pc? If you've got a mixer or multi channel audio device then you should try and use 2 mics on your amp.

Hook up an SM57 and point it at your amp speaker off centre about 6 inches away. Then place your condenser mic about a foot away from the speaker. If you can also have a direct "emulated output" on your amp, then plug that into a third channel. Balance it all on your mixer to see how each mic affects the sound.

We've just been doing things this way using an Alesis Firewire Mixer and Logic Express with a Mac. Sounds awesome!
Quote by doive
EDIT: Equally:- marshall make quality amps, i've played a '62 bluesbreaker and handwired '59, which played much nicer than a Vox AC30, so you're definitely better off with a Marshall MG than a vox AC30

Way to take things out of context. I never said that particular microphone was good, I just said what kind of experience I had with AKG mics. Like I said, I don't remember what model it was.

If I had said: 'Yeah I used a high end AKG and it was great so get this low end because AKG must be awesome', then you'd have right to speak.
Last edited by WtrPlyr at Sep 23, 2010,
You can't really go wrong with an SM57 man. I'm gonna get one soon, though I just use an interface for my guitar, but I'm gonna get an SM57 soon for vocals, and maybe in the future for amp and acoustic micing.
I wouldn't use just an SM57 for acoustic micing. You need a condenser mic aswell for that really.

Using the three-input method I was talking about above, we do the following when recording acoustic.

1 direct connection from the acoutic's jack (if applicable)
1 condenser about 6 inches from the sound hole
1 SM57 pointing at the 11th/12th fret from about 6 inches

Use your mixer to hear the differnece each input brings to the table and blend them together by taste.

Mint.
Quote by doive
I've not used that specific mic, but it's virtually impossible to tell from an internet review/abstract how a mic will sound - there's no way that much info can be conveyed in words. What i can say though is that any mic which reckons it's good for everything probably isn't. I fail to see how a mic can pick up a kick drum and a wind instrument - it just can't happen!

i would go with the SM-57, they're absolutely standard workhorse mics which work very well and sound good (not quite exceptional)
My experience with the PG range is limited, but they're the cheap knockoffs of the SM range, think of them as a squier to your fender...

EDIT: Equally:- marshall make quality amps, i've played a '62 bluesbreaker and handwired '59, which played much nicer than a Vox AC30, so you're definitely better off with a Marshall MG than a vox AC30

dude, the PG-81 is a condenser. http://www.shure.com/americas/products/microphones/PG/pg81-instrument-microphone
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Last edited by MortifiedLizard at Sep 23, 2010,
AKG mics are quality- I've used them a few times and always been happy with the sound.
Gibson Les Paul Standard 2004
Fender Telecaster Custom 72RI 2009
PEDALZ
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60DSP
Fender Blues Junior
Ashton MPA100
I wouldn't buy the PGs. They're alright, but for the price you pay for that mic - You could get a set of Samson CO2s and get a much better recording on an acoustic IMO.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com