Quick question, just after you guys educated opinions really.

I'm after a new "proper" cab having been using my old Vox AD100VT combo as a 2x12 cab for the past few months.

I have a Blackstar HT20 Head. It's a 20w head from their new Venue Series. More info here

They released a corresponding line of cabs to go with it. A 1x12, 2x12 and 4x12. I like the look of the 1x12 as I imagine it will be a lot easier to cart around but will still have enough volume for most small venues and our practice room.

The HTV112 is the natural choice for me then, but I noticed that they released a 1x10 cab to accompany their HT-5 Head. More info here.
Bearing in mind that this cab is designed to partner up with their 5-watt HT5 head , do you think it will be a good match for my 20-watt HT20? Will the volume be there or will I be overloading the speaker?

tl;dr
Blackstar HT20 20-watt Head with a Blackstar 1x10 "5-watt" cab
So what are your thoughts on this?
I honestly dont think you should buy that 10" cab, seriously, if you are used to 12" speakers you won't like the sound of the 10" (it just lacks so much body imo)

Stop highlighting my signature!!

</td><h1>yay!</h1>
i'm not the best to ask about used cabs,
but make sure they have 12" speakers as mentioned! and check out the speakers in the cab,
browse gumtree/ebay....
Quote by numinis
I honestly dont think you should buy that 10" cab, seriously, if you are used to 12" speakers you won't like the sound of the 10" (it just lacks so much body imo)

Cheers for the insight mate, having never used a 10" driver before I was a little worried that it'd be a bit lacking. Just what i needed to hear really.

I'm after a mellow bluesy sounding speaker. Thinking maybe Vintage 30's or similar, as apposed to the G12-75(?). I'm not into the whole mid scooped tight metal thang!
Quote by daverichards
http://brighton.gumtree.com/brighton/30/65892030.html

this seems good value, but not sure where you live!

I'm in Wolverhampton mate, West Midlands.

The thing with Marshall's is that's a bit of a minefield and I don't know where a good starting point is with them! Too much to choose from.

Can anyone point me in the right direction with regards to a Marshall with a bluesy "vintage" type speaker?
120 quid gets you a used Framus 1x12", which will be a lot better than the 1x10". You can get used Laney 1x12"s for even less, but the speaker in those isn't as nice as in the Framus (though still better than the Blackstar's 10" one).
Do you mean something like this - http://www.thomann.de/gb/framus_fr112cb.htm?sid=9b1577ca6b03f8fbc9e9423154a19c76

I'm a bit put off by that "Celestion G12T-Hot". Suggests "metal" to me. Can anyone enlighten me?

Is there any love for this cab?
http://www.thomann.de/gb/epiphone_valve_junior_1x12_cabinet.htm
Last edited by machin05 at Sep 23, 2010,
About the Framus and the G12T100:

It's a modern sounding speaker, but so is any mentioned in this thread so far. If you want something bluesy, you're better off looking into G12M Greenbacks or something with an alnico magnet.

Now unfortunately, with a budget of 120 quid you can't be picky and most cabs in your price range come with either a crappy speaker or a good, modern one. The only cab I can think of with something vintage-y is the Vox NT cab - but the cab is crap so the good speaker doesn't help.

Here come the good news: You can achieve nice bluesy tones with any halfway decent speaker, as long as the amp is up to it. Certainly an Alnico Blue would be nicer than the G12T100, but that's twice your budget for the speaker alone. The G12T100 will do the job just fine.

Here come even better news: The Framus cab is actually nice. It's solidly built and is big enough to give you a nice, full tone. So it actually pays off to buy it and upgrade the speaker at some point if you desire to do so. You can, at some point in the future, sell the stock speaker and buy a used Greenback with the money (G12Ms and G12Ts go for about the same money on the used market).

Beware that many speakers which give you a vintage tone are rated for low wattages - the G12M only takes 25w, for example. Add to that that your HT20 will output far more than 20w at peak and you can run into problems. So if you decide to swap speakers at some point, make sure to either get a model that can handle the power or don't have the amp's volume knob on 10.

The VJ cab and speaker are okay, but if you can afford something better, buy something better. Nothing wrong with it, but I'd rather pick up a used cab with a better speaker.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Sep 23, 2010,
does blackstar have any shenanigans in their cabs? or maybe the shenanigans cancel out?

seriously, though, probably listen to teh quail
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah, something like that. maybe they don't work with non-blackstar cabs.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Wow, cheers for the info guys. Very helpful.

Quailman, you seem to be a speaker/cab guru!

I have a couple of noobish questions, if you don't mind.

What is the peak output of my HT20 likely to be? In other words what speaker rating should I be looking for?

And does the 70 is this speaker model refer to the watts rating? http://edinburgh.gumtree.com/edinburgh/59/61429959.html
i was under the impression that they rated speakers conservatively i.e. the speaker manufacturers know that tube amps put out more than their rated wattage when pushed, but I could be wrong.

i can't remember if the g12m70 is 70 watts... i think it might be, but i'm not sure. But i mean you don't have to go up to that wattage... 30 watts would probably be fine i'd have thought, but i could be wrong. g12h30 maybe. or you could consider eminence, tayden or guys like that.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^Yeah, they can usually take the full power they're rated at and a bit more before blowing, but I'd rather be safe then sorry.

I had a G12M70 once and if I'm not entirely mistaken, it really is rated at 70w. I had it in a 50w combo and didn't blow it out, so I guess it can handle some power. It's a relatively modern sounding speaker, not much unlike the G12T75 or G12V30. 25 quid seems like a good deal, though I'm not an expert by any means and haven't dealt with Celestions produced in the '80s, maybe wait for someone more knowledgeable to show up, or ask in the speaker thread (was floating around here somewhere). I liked mine, in any case (but it was a '90s one and looked a tad different).

I can't say for sure how much the HT20 outputs, but I'm guessing around 30-35w with the volume dimed. That's just a rough estimate though, I'll ask one of the techs around here for more.
So I should be safe with a 30-watt speaker, but pushing it with a 25-watt rated one?
Quote by TheQuailman
^Yeah, they can usually take the full power they're rated at and a bit more before blowing, but I'd rather be safe then sorry.

oh yeah, sure. I'm just saying that unless he's cranking it all the time (and even then), a 30 watt one would probably be ok, especially if it suits the tone he wants more. Or alternatively, get something made by eminence or tayden, they do higher wattage versions of the more classic-sounding celestions... I haven't tried them, but the wizard, gb128, private jack or tayden true brit (high power version) would probably all work.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^Word. I haven't tried many Eminence speakers, so I can't say much about them.

TS, unless you crank the amp really loud you don't need a speaker that can handle that much power. I'm pretty sure the HT20 puts out more than 30w, but you should be okay with a 30w or 25w speaker anyway. I just mentioned the wattage thing so you don't buy a 15w speaker, dime the volume and blow everything up. The G12H30 or G12M can take 30w and 25w respectively and have a vintage-y sound. Or you could do like Dave said and get an Eminence, they're based on popular Jensen and Celestion models but have higher power-ratings (dunno which speakers are based on what).

Anyway, I'd still recommend going for the Framus cab, because really, it is a nice cab and you won't have problems coaxing a suitable tone out of it. Play if for a couple of months and see if you like it. In the meantime, go around music stores and try out different cabs to see what different speaker models sound like. I can't offer an instant solution because I'm not you, and I don't know what sounds best to your ears.
Nice one, I'll check out the Eminence speakers, along with other suggestions you made.

I do like the look of the Framus cab, and I entirely trust your judgment on their quality, but the trouble is, I can't find a 2nd hand one anywhere!
they're quite new, that might be it. Also i'm guessing not too many people need a 1x12, and those who do are probably hanging on to it as there aren't too many options for 1x12s...

i could be way off, though. Just keep an eye out, 4 could turn up on ebay next week
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?