So my dumb self broke a string one day on my Washburn Maverick and I decided to take a different gauge string ( I play 12's) because I broke my high E and put on a different high e string which was from a pack of 11's. Since then the strings wont stay in tune. Mind you this guitar played beautifully before my dumb ass did this. Did I just ruin a beautiful guitar?

I was thinking about taking it in to my local guitar shop, but I want to know if I ruined it beyond repair.
It'll just need setting up. I doubt that you've ruined it by going down from 12s to 11s on one string (and the thinnest one at that anyway).
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

proly jss a lil extra tension on the truss rod. i'd take it in and get it set up
this signature has my gear in it. nothing more, nothing less

Gear
Ibanez S770PB
Jackson Rhoads
Custom Strat
Agile Al 3100
Rainbow Music Shop Custom Les Paul
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Spider III
just buy a pack of 12s and swap the strings.

make sure you're using a good stringing technique.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
just buy a pack of 12s and swap the strings.

make sure you're using a good stringing technique.

really? so i don't have to pay my local overpriced guitar shop $50+ to get it set up? because if i could just buy another pack of strings and string them properly, i would save some serious cash.
Last edited by sugarveins at Sep 23, 2010,
its because the truss rod is trying to pull against 12s. when you change up, it messes with the tension.

no, you didnt ruin anything. your just changing stuff on your guitar. remember, its wood. it can move too. i mean it was alive at some point. so climate, modifications, etc can all have an effect.
i'm surprised that going slightly out on one string made any noticeable difference.

as said, just restring it with a set of 12's and you'll be fine.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by sugarveins
really? so i don't have to pay my local overpriced guitar shop $50+ to get it set up? because if i could just buy another pack of strings and string them properly, i would save some serious cash.

If you're paying $50 for anything guitar setup related, you really should learn how to do it yourself.

I don't know how but I usually get a free set up if I buy strings, so I never have to know.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

broke the lightest gauge A string there is and replaced it with a .10 scale A string and I never noticed a difference... I doubt it would make that big of a difference.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
it'd also go out if you had a locking trem. the smallest change in tensin will throw everything out a little bit.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"