Hello, so i just got my guitar yesterday. Its a Hagstrom Ultra Swede. Been playing on it for 40 mins now just trying to see what it can do. Ive figured out what controls are which on this guitar but I am a bit stumped by the Coil Tap switch. I know what the switch does but I am not sure which position is which. Can anyone give me an idea of which way it is? like general wiring or maybe what I should listen for? My last guitar only had single coil pick ups so this is the first time ive played a guitar with humbucker pickups

Edit: only difference I have noticed is that one setting is slightly louder that the other one lol
Quote by GezzyDiversion
Sadokun: Eating cardboard never tasted this good!

Quote by Otis Lee Crenshaw
Billy Ray Cyrus? Billy Ray Cyrus is about as f****** country as a bag of f****** wet mice, alright?
Last edited by Sadokun at Sep 23, 2010,
Is it a switch, or a push/pull pot? If its a pot, pulled up will be split.
You should be able to hear the difference, split will be quieter and a bit cleaner and weaker sounding.
Also, if you get a screwdriver or some other smallish metal thing, touch the polepieces of the pickups when plugged into your amp (preferably with a bit of distortion), if one coil of the humbucker makes a popping noise when you tap the polepiece, but the other doesn't (It will still click, but a lot quieter) then the pickup is split.

EDIT: The quieter setting is the split
this^ also, what amp are you playing through?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by littlephil
Is it a switch, or a push/pull pot? If its a pot, pulled up will be split.
You should be able to hear the difference, split will be quieter and a bit cleaner and weaker sounding.
Also, if you get a screwdriver or some other smallish metal thing, touch the polepieces of the pickups when plugged into your amp (preferably with a bit of distortion), if one coil of the humbucker makes a popping noise when you tap the polepiece, but the other doesn't (It will still click, but a lot quieter) then the pickup is split.

EDIT: The quieter setting is the split

I have a switch. Erm I think that all makes sence. Ill try the screwdriver thing later on.

EDIT: A Vox VT15. why?
Quote by GezzyDiversion

Billy Ray Cyrus? Billy Ray Cyrus is about as f****** country as a bag of f****** wet mice, alright?
The quieter position on the mini switch will be the split.
If you only use one pickup, you'll notice there will be hum when you toggle the switch. When its humming, the pickup is split. You don't really need to do the screwdriver thing.
I have been told that coil tapping has a much more noticeable effect on valve amplifiers, rather than solid state ones. I hardly notice any difference at all on my guitars (playing through a roland cube 60).
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
Quote by littlephil
The quieter position on the mini switch will be the split.
If you only use one pickup, you'll notice there will be hum when you toggle the switch. When its humming, the pickup is split. You don't really need to do the screwdriver thing.

okay then. I think that has answered my question and I now know. Thank you very much littlephil (and everyone else who posted)
Quote by GezzyDiversion

and i asked, because like said, coil splitting is a lot more noticeable on some amps verses others.

i was wondering why you weren't hearing the subtle tone changes.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
how many ways is your switch?
Quote by theogonia777
Lefthandedkid is super awesome, ja?

Quote by rgrockr
I guess fire extinguishers have to be filled with something other than fire retardant now, because apparently that's offensive.

Watch my stream?