Hey guys
Just looking for suggestions at the moment.
I've got a bugera 333xl, but its just not a reliable head. Its already broken down once and im not going to wait for it to happen again.

So im in the market for a new head. Info-
400 - 700 MAX budget
Used

Genre's - Heavy metal, Prog, Rock, etc etc.

Guitars - Rg's.

Bands I play - Lamb of god, Dream theatre, Satch, Vai, In Flames, Unearth, The black dahlia etc etc

So to sum it up, i want a head that can handle high gain riffing and smooth lead tones.

Any suggestions are welcome, Tubes only!
Gear

Ibanez J custom 8420ZE
Ibanez RGA42
Ibanez RG550
RG3120 Prestige

Framus cobra
How did your Bugera break? If you really want a new tube head for high gain I will say a JCA100 it doesn't really have an equal in the price range tonally.
Peavey XXX/Ultra Plus. Pretty similar sounding to the 333XL, and Peavey's are built like tanks.
One of those should cover all your needs pretty easily, and will definitely come under your budget.
Egnater Rebel-30 head
i have the 65w combo and its amazing
its 750$ though..
Last edited by alpinestar21 at Sep 23, 2010,
A JSX would do very nicely.

What happened to the 333XL?
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
There all pretty nice suggestions. Im just looking for a head at this point, upgrading to a v30 cab very soon however.
I was thinking maybe 6505 or 3120?
How does the 3120 compare to a 6505/jsx
Gear

Ibanez J custom 8420ZE
Ibanez RGA42
Ibanez RG550
RG3120 Prestige

Framus cobra
A 3120 is a XXX with EL34s. Kinda similar to a JSX.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
I'm not sure exactly what happened to the bugera. Just died on me, sent it off to get fixed. Only had it for a few months, just wanted to see what all the talk was about.

I think im leaning more towards a 3120 to be honest
Gear

Ibanez J custom 8420ZE
Ibanez RGA42
Ibanez RG550
RG3120 Prestige

Framus cobra
Quote by Pantera95
There all pretty nice suggestions. Im just looking for a head at this point, upgrading to a v30 cab very soon however.
I was thinking maybe 6505 or 3120?
How does the 3120 compare to a 6505/jsx

The 3120 is closer to a JSX than the 6505, though it still has more gain than you'll ever need. Great amp IMO, I absolutely love the rhythm channel on it. Quite nice cleans as well.
Hows the lead channel?
Can you get a smooth tone like petrucci/vai?
Gear

Ibanez J custom 8420ZE
Ibanez RGA42
Ibanez RG550
RG3120 Prestige

Framus cobra
In all honesty, when I played it I didn't demo the lead channel too much, it seemed pretty decent though. When I was playing it I didn't go to much for trying to get those liquid leads, I've gotta imagine it can get you somewhere in the ballpark though.

Best thing to do would be to try it out. Personally I found that online demos and peoples opinions on the amp really didn't do it justice.
Yeah i noticed there weren't many demo's around. Any other suggestions
Gear

Ibanez J custom 8420ZE
Ibanez RGA42
Ibanez RG550
RG3120 Prestige

Framus cobra
Quote by TheQuailman
A used Peavey 6505(+) or JSX should be nice for that. I got the feeling the JSX might be more suitable for you.

this is what I'd suggest... JCA100/50 are amazing amps but if you're ONLY playing metal they can definitely be beaten at that price point.
Yeah i do like the JCA's, however i don't think that they could handle some of the high gain stuff that i play.
Gear

Ibanez J custom 8420ZE
Ibanez RGA42
Ibanez RG550
RG3120 Prestige

Framus cobra
Quote by Pantera95
Yeah i do like the JCA's, however i don't think that they could handle some of the high gain stuff that i play.

They can, but they can do a bunch of other stuff too.

With a boost you can get teh br00tz no problem.

But if you are a strictly metal player, then look else where.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
I tend to play alot of lead stuff, so i need a nice lead channel. But i play alot of really heavy music aswell.
Any differences between jsx and 3120
Gear

Ibanez J custom 8420ZE
Ibanez RGA42
Ibanez RG550
RG3120 Prestige

Framus cobra
Quote by alpinestar21
Egnater Rebel-30 head
i have the 65w combo and its amazing
its 750$ though..
The Renegade is voiced pretty differently from the Rebel 30.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.