The good news

I personally think this is ridiculous. Those who may have encouraged the double suicide could be facing 14 years in jail. That's more than the average murderer would get. What are you views on this?

Quote by News Article
An expert said: "Not many are aware of it but it means that anyone who thinks it is fun to post information about suicide could be jailed. "It doesn't matter if they are never in contact with them or the suicide attempt never happens.
"Anything capable of encouraging suicide is a crime."

So UG, in all seriousness, as there are some depressed people on this site, if anything comes up in relation to suicide, be careful what you say! (This is an English news story)
Pffft

most anybody would probably get would be a shitty community order.

the CPS would probably reject most cases as they would never claim there was sufficient evidence.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Putting them in prison will do no good what so ever. Make their life consist of community service would be a much better alternative.

Gurgh should really read the article next time. If they aren't directly linked I don;t see what you can (or even should) do.
Quote by Nosferatu Man

T-shirts are a sign of degeneration and decline.
Last edited by leeb rocks at Sep 23, 2010,
Murderers get less than 14 years in England? Remind me to commit all my murders there from now on.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by element4433
Murderers get less than 14 years in England? Remind me to commit all my murders there from now on.

I also find this to be quite strange
kthxbai.
Quote by element4433

they get a life sentence with a minimum term i.e. they have to serve that amount of time before they're even considered for release. If they've shown considerable reformation, they may be given a second chance. It's usually around 10-15 years but people see a number and go "OMG he's only got a 12 year sentence for murder".

This is potentially 14 years meaning it'll save that for those who encourage and provide information to a specific person.

It's similar to how you can potentially get life for GBH.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
I like the idea but there would need to be a direct relationship and proof that an action contributed to a specific suicide or that there was intent to cause a suicide for me to fully get behind it.
Then again I'm American so I have no say either way.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Not sure about the jail time/punishment but encouraging suicide should be illegal.

Quote by RU Experienced?
Lol, UK.

What about the university of kentucky?
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
If you tell an annoying fat girl she's fat and she kills herself then, would that give you 14 years of prison?
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
I'd be fucked, I encourage people to die on a daily basis.
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Marshmelllow
graphs. graphs always work. my old work place had an awesome printer, so i was constantly making graphs.

that was until i made a graph of how much my boss pissed me off. but seriously dude, graphs.
Wow, well that's a bunch of counselling services ****ed so.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Kensai
Not sure about the jail time/punishment but encouraging suicide should be illegal.

ololololol icwutudidthar
Quote by Kensai

It's marked by fantastic basketball, and xenophobic intolerance of spics.
As the authorities have already found out, policing the internet is damn near impossible. Besides, i really can't see the general public warming to this idea when convicted murderers are released every year for 'good behaviour'
Appreciating Metal since 1998

R.I.P - Ronnie James Dio

1942-2010
Quote by element4433

In Norway, one has to be insane or something to get more than 21 years.
Agreed, I love the idea that something should happen to people who encourage suicide. I don't think 14 years in prison is the correct sentence though. More agreement on the community service. Sticking them in jail will make them worse and is a strain on resources, community service only helps the world.

That or at least force them to go to some kinda counciling or group sessions about empathy or something :P
Quote by GisleAune
In Norway, one has to be insane or something to get more than 21 years.

In the U.S. if you can be proven to be insane you are exempt from responsibility for your criminal actions and placed in a psychiatric ward.
Quote by RU Experienced?
In the U.S. if you can be proven to be insane you are exempt from responsibility for your criminal actions and placed in a psychiatric ward.
It's not quite that simple, the average person found not guilty by reason of insanity faces far longer incarcerated than a standard prisoner. Some states only have a "guilty but insane" option whereby you're still considered guilty and incarcerated, and other US states have no insanity defence.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
I agree, in principle...

I'd give between 2-5 years, though.
Quote by necrosis1193
John Entwistle once in a while. I had to try to find him when I saw The Who two years ago.

Quote by sticksause
butthose bagpipes sound awesome.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
It's not quite that simple, the average person found not guilty by reason of insanity faces far longer incarcerated than a standard prisoner. Some states only have a "guilty but insane" option whereby you're still considered guilty and incarcerated, and other US states have no insanity defence.

I'm aware, but I can see where the ambiguity in my post came from.

When I said exempt from responsibility I meant that they would not be placed in the traditional penal reformation system.

I'm aware that insanity is very rarely applied as a defense in law, and when it is successful people are placed appropriately in a psychiatric hospital for extended periods of time. That's still a more desirable outcome than prison, as they'll get a lot more specialized care and attention that they need.
We have the same law here. There was a case of a guy who convinced a bunch of people to commit suicide, one of them one a girl from mcgill I believe. I don't recall exactly what he got since the guy was american, but it was a big deal whem it happened. I think there should be more of a focus on rehabilitation, but I think thag about every law we have anyways.
Quote by RU Experienced?
I'm aware, but I can see where the ambiguity in my post came from.

When I said exempt from responsibility I meant that they would not be placed in the traditional penal reformation system.

I'm aware that insanity is very rarely applied as a defense in law, and when it is successful people are placed appropriately in a psychiatric hospital for extended periods of time. That's still a more desirable outcome than prison, as they'll get a lot more specialized care and attention that they need.

Only if they happen to be in a jurisdiction that doesn't have "Guilty but insane" or simply doesn't have an insanity defence.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Only if they happen to be in a jurisdiction that doesn't have "Guilty but insane" or simply doesn't have an insanity defence.

Right.
In the US we have similar laws. Most states have made suicide illegal, which sounds silly on the surface, but makes sense when you consider the its implications on accessories, accomplices, and others involved.

And in the US murderers generally get 25-life, as opposed you your less than 14 year system.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by Kensai

I remember that thread

and I agree, it should be illegal, but I think several years of community service is a better options
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing