Page 1 of 2
Looking to up my gear. Currently have a Epiphone LP Goth and Ibanez RG350EX through a MarshallMG15(don't bite my head off, i know its shit) and Korg AX3000G. The guitars are going to be replaced soon, as is the amp but i wanted to know what the best pedals on the market are? Money isn't really an issue. Im looking for:

Distortion pedal
Chorus pedal
Flanger pedal
Maybe an overdrive pedal
etc

I play alot of metal/hard rock music, but i love my clean sounds too. Pretty much into Megadeth, Metallica, Judas Priest, Guns N' Roses, Black Sabbath etc etc. Im all ears for an suggestions. I've heard the Blackstar HT-DISTX is awesome for distortion, as is the metal muff. I'd like it if the pedals were analogue sounding and not the digital type.
EHX is a nice chorus. I think their flanger is too but I am not sure though.
But why dont you use the effects of your multi fx?
Gear:
----------------------
Jack and Danny Brothers Ls-5
Ibanez Gsa 60
----------------------
Zoom g9.2tt (for sale (NL))
----------------------
Blackheart Little Giant
Get an amp that has proper distortion and you won't need a pedal, that's usually the best sounding solution. Having an OD is nice for boosting amps though.
Quote by niels-uiterwaal
EHX is a nice chorus. I think their flanger is too but I am not sure though.
But why dont you use the effects of your multi fx?

Il be upgrading amps soon(probably a Peavey 5150), and im not really happy with the sound my multi fx is giving at the moment. Pedals sound so much better in my opinion...
klon centaur
suhr riot
analogman chorus?
dunno about the flanger

of course, that'll cost like ten times what your amp does, so just buy a better amp and be done with it. EDIT: ok fair enough. you won't really need a distortion with a 5150. boost wouldn't hurt... tubescreamer or clone? chorus and flanger... depends on how much money you have left...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 23, 2010,
^^Your MG probably isn't helping there. Give your multi-fx a chance with the new amp. But yes, if you use certain effects a lot and want the best quality, single pedals are usually better than a multi.
i too have an MG (15DFX) and to be honest, no matter how good the pedals are, it won't make it sound much good playing through an MG
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Distortion and overdrive:
Greenhouse effects no-brainer distortion and goldrive/roadkiller overdrive
clips on youtube
for chorus I'd go tor ZW38 Black Label Chorus - I've bought this baby a mont ago and can't stop using it. It has it all from vintage to modern sounding units, and a price is good enough.

for distortion, +1 goes to TheQuailman. Good (preferably tube) quality amp distortion/overdrive sound more natural than any solid state unit is able to create.

if not better amp, You might consider some of tube DS/OD on the market: ibanez, damage control, EHX, even berhinger (VT999, which is quite ok unit for the money)
For a good distortion I would suggest a Boss MT-2 metal zone pedal. It is great tone range and you can really shape the sound you want. For chorus you really have to try a bunch out to see what you like but for a surprisingly solid pedal I would say the Danelectro fab chorus pedal. It give you all the needs of a chorus plus its only 15 bucks.
Just in general I have to say go with the Digitech Hardwire pedals. Distortion, Overdrive, Chorus, all phenomenal. If I could only have one brand of pedals that would be it.
Peavey XXX 40efx
Schecter C1+ (sd 59bA4 neck/sd Custom8 Bridge)
Washburn Idol WI45(AirNorton/CrunchLab)

ESP/LTD Viper 300(EMG81b,89n)
Boss SD-1, Crybaby, MXR 6-band EQ,
Digitech DL-8 Delay Looper, SupaCharga
Distortion - Suhr Riot or something
Chorus - Analogman Bi-Chorus or the Strymon chorus
Flanger - First version Hartman Flanger or vintage Electro-Harmonix Electric Mistress (basically the same)
OD - Klon, TIM, Boiling Point
TC elec Nova system.......
Well, if money is not a issue then:
Overdrive: Klon Centaur, Boiling Point, Sweet Honey overdrive
Chorus: Jam pedals Waterfall
Flanger: Foxrox TZF
Distortion: Wampler Triple Wreck, Emma Pisdiyauwot
distortion = fail
overdrive = win
fuzz = double win
Gear:

Ibanez RG350M
Peavey 6505+112

Boss CS-1
EHX Big Muff Pi
EHX Small Clone
KORG Pitchblack
Quote by Dannnn_xD
distortion = fail
overdrive = win
fuzz = double win

erm...why?
Quote by Sguit

Actually, I agree with this more than with my own post. I'd still add the Suhr Riot to distortion though.
I don't know if you've already set in your mind what amp you want TS, but I honestly mean to help you/ give you good advice by saying that I don't think a 5150 is a good amp for the bands you listed. I think you would be much happier with a JCM800 combo.

The bands you listed really don't use that much gain (compared to heavy stuff that's out today), and the 5150 is pretty much a beast bred for modern levels of gain.

Just think about it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I don't know if you've already set in your mind what amp you want TS, but I honestly mean to help you/ give you good advice by saying that I don't think a 5150 is a good amp for the bands you listed. I think you would be much happier with a JCM800 combo.

The bands you listed really don't use that much gain (compared to heavy stuff that's out today), and the 5150 is pretty much a beast bred for modern levels of gain.

Just think about it.

Thanks for the replies guys, keep them coming.

In regards to the amp, i have been recommended the JCM800 combo, but are they still available brand new?
Buy the Digitech RP processor just like what Mustaine uses.... or Axe-FX like what Broderick use.. LOL
Some of these people here clearly haven't tried anything high end or boutique lol

Boss, Hardwire, Behringer, Danelectro, Ibanez, MXR, and most of the EHX recommendations... I mean, I'm not saying they're terrible, but they have no business being in a discussion of "the best pedals money can buy."
Last edited by josephde at Sep 23, 2010,
Quote by simpsonofadown
For a good distortion I would suggest a Boss MT-2 metal zone pedal.

OUT

anyways anything that isn't a boss.
The TC Electronic SCF Chorus sounds really good and has built in flanger.
Quote by beadhangingOne
Are you talking about those weird sphincter-spasms where it feels like there's a ghost dick in your ass for a little while and then it just disappears?
Quote by Sguit

/thread.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by Clay-man
OUT

anyways anything that isn't a boss.

Hey, Boss make good pedals
Quote by beadhangingOne
Are you talking about those weird sphincter-spasms where it feels like there's a ghost dick in your ass for a little while and then it just disappears?
Quote by Sguit
Fixed

I am not familiar with Bosses older pedals. The only Boss I actually own is a CH-1 Chorus but I have used plenty of other Bosses.
Quote by beadhangingOne
Quote by Megadeth09
Looking to up my gear. Currently have a Epiphone LP Goth and Ibanez RG350EX through a MarshallMG15(don't bite my head off, i know its shit) and Korg AX3000G. The guitars are going to be replaced soon, as is the amp but i wanted to know what the best pedals on the market are? Money isn't really an issue. Im looking for:

Distortion pedal
Chorus pedal
Flanger pedal
Maybe an overdrive pedal
etc

I play alot of metal/hard rock music, but i love my clean sounds too. Pretty much into Megadeth, Metallica, Judas Priest, Guns N' Roses, Black Sabbath etc etc. Im all ears for an suggestions. I've heard the Blackstar HT-DISTX is awesome for distortion, as is the metal muff. I'd like it if the pedals were analogue sounding and not the digital type.

First get a new amp. Second, I bet you hear all sorts of things, I heard the valve in the ht-distx is really pure.

Also, do the pedals just not do be analogue sounding? Do they have to be analogue? Can they be digital but sound analogue? I'm assuming that analogue pedals that sound digital are out of the question?

koch pedaltone

ethos overdrive.

carl martin chorus
(Invalid img)
Maxon jet riser
(Invalid img)
You'll also want a surf box

I think the Klon is overrated.

Alternatively, if money is truly not an issue like you said I would call up Bob Bradshaw or David Friedman and have them design a rack for you.
Last edited by AcousticMirror at Sep 23, 2010,
^Even if they were free?

Its probably what the pros used because without the invention of the tinterweb we wouldnt have heard of any of these boutique names. Youre also disregarding the fact that MXR, EHX and boss arent producing pedals to the same standard as they were way back when. Which is probably how most of these boutique companies started cropping up.

Klon being overrated, tbh ive never heard anyone say anything good about the klon. Im sure it sounds good, but not like £500 good.
Last edited by beckyjc at Sep 24, 2010,
i liked the centaur i tried, but yeah, I'm not sure it was £300 good. But it was noticeably nicer than the od boxes I've tried at half that price (which is still hardly cheap), so I dunno...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hmm, i might get a kit and build one lul.

I dont even know what one sounds like. I cant really distinguish online what makes it better than any other OD. D=
one cool thing is that you can use it as either a clean boost or an od. Though, considering how much it costs, it might be cheaper to just buy a clean boost and an od...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Megadeth09
Thanks for the replies guys, keep them coming.

In regards to the amp, i have been recommended the JCM800 combo, but are they still available brand new?

No, but why on earth would you want to buy new? Buying new is seriously one of the most overrated things I know of.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
i like buying new. If you don't like it, that's fine, but it's a judgement call and is very dependent on personal preference. don't try to pretend that everyone who buys new is an idiot, because that's not the case at all.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i like buying new. If you don't like it, that's fine, but it's a judgement call and is very dependent on personal preference. don't try to pretend that everyone who buys new is an idiot, because that's not the case at all.

I'm not. I didn't say all that...

But if you get something used in mint condition for half the price, why would you still prefer buying new? I'm not bashing anybody for their preferences, I'm just pointing out that most of the time it's a better value.

Also in this case, there is no option to buy a JCM800 combo new. Which is the case with a lot of gear - there is no way to buy new. Sometimes if there's something you want you have to go used.

And there's no reason why anyone has to do either one all the time. It's fine to buy both new and used. I do. Some things I want can't be found new so I go used, and vice versa.

Surely the TS would like to get something that would create the sound he is looking for? Even if that something isn't available new anymore? Unless he wants to save for the head version, which he is also perfectly entitled to doing.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
oh sure. Just there's a bit of a bandwagon around here that says that you're daft if you buy new, and I don't agree with that at all. I agree that if everything used you bought was in perfect condition and half the price of new that it'd make sense to go used, but it's rarely in that good condition, and it's rarely as cheap as that either. Way I see it, used is cheaper, but it's more of a risk. That's all. I also like the way new stuff is shiny and that I know that I'm the only one who's owned it and used it (buying from some unscrupulous online store which sells returns as new notwithstanding, lol)- I'm willing to pay a premium for that, if other people aren't, that's fair enough.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2