Sorry for the general topic but I need some advice.

I want to gain a lot of speed since I like metal like Metallica, iron Maiden, megadeth and when I see those awesome riffs, I want to improve my speed.

So I use a Tortex .88mm pick (the really small ones) and I don't know how should I pick...

I'm used to hold the pick in a standard way with the rest of the fingers closed into my hand, but I play much slower.

So I tried putting the rest of fingers stretched ( like some metal guitarrists do) and it helps a bit, but I can't play chords or anything else with this way.

Should I use the first way and try to improve speed with that or should I try playing chords with the second way??
And another thing: When I try picking fast I notice that the pick starts hitting to much to the string which makes an awful sound. Any ideas?

Any Ideas will be helpful

Strat'z
Love the Guitar
Gear:
- Ibanez SZR520
- Peavey Vypyr 30w
- Alhambra 2C Classical Guitar
- Tortex .88mm/Jazz III 1.38mm
- Elixir Nanoweb Strings (.009)
1 thing, you should get a thicker more solid pic that can't bend!
That would help a little, and try to relax your finger/wrist
This pick since it's small it really doesn't bend, believe me

and I think metallica's james and kirk use .88 tortex like me and I feel confortable with it so
I think the pick is not the issue
Love the Guitar
Gear:
- Ibanez SZR520
- Peavey Vypyr 30w
Quote by TheyCallMeRune
1 thing, you should get a thicker more solid pic that can't bend!
That would help a little, and try to relax your finger/wrist

Urban legend. Thicker picks won't really help anyone pick faster.

http://www.paulgilbert.com/Guitars.html
(scroll down)

Base your pick choice on tone.

Can't really give any advice to op, without seeing you playing. Post a video.
Last edited by mdeeRocks at Sep 23, 2010,
I find Jazz picks allow ME to play faster. Also, that "stretched-out finger" thing that most "metal" guitarists do is rather pointless. It strains your hand as you're using muscles to keep the fingers straight. It's REALLY not necessary, just play with your hand relaxed
ty for the tip silver

BTW before i used the tortex i played with the JAZZ III x) but I prefer my tortex
Love the Guitar
Gear:
- Ibanez SZR520
- Peavey Vypyr 30w
lol a generic answer but check this out:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/guitar_techniques/shredding_part_1_-_fundamentals.html

helped out a friend of mine =)

do the exercises that are listed and i swear you will get faster and more efficient at playing.