So I got a cab with the Warehouse v30 copy and an ET 65. To make a long story short, I love the ET65 and don't like the V30.

So my question, if I got the G12H30 copy, would there be a large difference in sound between that and the ET65(it is 30 watts vs. the 65 watts in the ET65)?

Probably a silly question considering many people pair G12H30s and V30s, but I am also going to be using 50 watt amps to power it, so should that be safe?
not sure about the specific speakers, but if you combine speakers, as far as i'm aware, the load is split equally between the two speakers. So, if a 60 watt speaker is combined with a 30 watt speaker, you have to assume you have two 30 watt speakers, and then add the wattage.

That's an incredibly bad way of explaining it.

Basically, if you have more than one speaker, and the speakers are different, take the wattage handling of the lowest-powered speaker, and multiply it by the number of speakers.

In your case, if you were to get a g12h30, it's rated at 30 watts, so multiply that by two and your cab should handle 60 watts. So... probably just about safe. But if you want to be sure, go for a higher-wattage speaker... maybe the eminence equivalent (wizard?) or maybe a weber?

EDIT: the power rating shouldn't have anything to do with which speaker dominates the tone, it's the sensitivity that would affect that (plus the voicing of each speaker, presumably). If one speaker is a lot louder than the other, it's going to dominate.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by patriotplayer90
So I got a cab with the Warehouse v30 copy and an ET 65. To make a long story short, I love the ET65 and don't like the V30.

i liked my V30's for a bit, but you do realize that you can get something more 'personalized' fairly quickly. it became really apparent to me that V30's weren't my thing after extensive recording and comparing.

Quote by patriotplayer90
So my question, if I got the G12H30 copy, would there be a large difference in sound between that and the ET65(it is 30 watts vs. the 65 watts in the ET65)?

the G12H-30 is a 50 oz magnet version of the G12M-25. the G12M-25 was used by many many artists (van halen, eric johnson, hendrix, etc). i know the 'M' for a particularly 'dry' and 'woody' sound with great attack, sounds great overdriven and actually seems to thrive with abuse. i heard celestion made the 'H' to help bump power handling so cabs would blow less speakers, but the H is known quoted as having 'syrupy' low end. i don't really agree with that, i find it to have a more pronounced low end while keeping most the attributes of the M but i don't think it sounds as good when 'abused' as the M does.

personally i prefer the M, it sounds a bit more ballsy. the H sounds a little more refined to my ear (which may be what you want).

and yes, there should be a good amount of difference between the 65 and the H, the 65 was marshall stock speaker in late 70's and earlier 80's cabs, and have quite a different voicing.

Quote by patriotplayer90
Probably a silly question considering many people pair G12H30s and V30s, but I am also going to be using 50 watt amps to power it, so should that be safe?

yeah, you'll be fine with a 50 watt amp. the rated power handling of a 2x12 cab with an H-30 and a 65 would be ~60 watts.

edit: dave beat me with the power handling. but that formula dave used is how i figured it out.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Sep 23, 2010,
^
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks alot, I have been told that wattage handling should be far above amp output. I was aware that handling would be 60 watts, just didn't know if it was enough.

The v30 types just really aren't my thing. The et65, however, totally rocks. It is very gnr, ac dc'ish which is what I am looking for. It sounds smoother than the v30, the mids just kill my ears.
it seems to be very popular to recommend "wattage handling far above amp output", i mention plenty of times on other threads that it is a great recipe for speakers with a fairly flat response across a wide range of volume, but is far from necessary. a speaker's wattage rating is just that, it's the amount of wattage it can safely handle, mind you a 50 watt speaker matched to a 50 watt amp may not respond favorably when dimed out on brootalz tone (it'll be muddier than hell for a number of reasons, including speaker rounding and power amp saturation), but classic rock guitarists love the tone.

i believe the 'more power handling in speakers is necessary' thing is derived from the fact that we have a bunch of people here who like slack tuned, highly distorted music and a cab with higher wattage rating tends to handle those tones better.

btw, dave also mentioned 'sensitivity', that is a very important aspect of how loud a speaker is. you use power handling and sensitivity rating to figure out how loud a speaker can be, then you can figure out how loud it can get when driven at different levels you can kinda 'predict' the response of the speaker at a given volume.

-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
it seems to be very popular to recommend "wattage handling far above amp output", i mention plenty of times on other threads that it is a great recipe for speakers with a fairly flat response across a wide range of volume, but is far from necessary. a speaker's wattage rating is just that, it's the amount of wattage it can safely handle, mind you a 50 watt speaker matched to a 50 watt amp may not respond favorably when dimed out on brootalz tone (it'll be muddier than hell for a number of reasons, including speaker rounding and power amp saturation), but classic rock guitarists love the tinge.

i believe the 'more power handling in speakers is necessary' thing is derived from the fact that we have a bunch of people here who like slack tuned, highly distorted music and a cab with higher wattage rating tends to handle those tones better.

btw, dave also mentioned 'sensitivity', that is a very important aspect of how loud a speaker is. you use power handling and sensitivity rating to figure out how loud a speaker can be, then you can figure out how loud it can get when driven at different levels you can kinda 'predict' the response of the speaker at a given volume.

That really clears it up. I always took it as a safety precaution
Quote by patriotplayer90
That really clears it up. I always took it as a safety precaution

i always kinda took it like that too, but then i was reading an sound engineering book that put it in a completely different perspective. he went on about how running highly overrated speakers can actually be dangerous cuz you have less idea when you are running the amp too hard.

i never heard of anything like that, but from his perspective, he saw the speakers as the 'cheaper' component and was more willing to sacrifice the speakers instead of the head. in his opinion, you should use underrated speakers so that the speakers would distort before the power section, thereby placing the stress on the 'cheaper' speakers and protecting the 'more expensive' amplifier.

all about perspective. the story always tends to end with 'but if you here any overly distortions you should probably turn down to save your equipment'

-ae
yeah, something rated closer to the amp's wattage should break up more, and for certain types of music that would be preferable. I think that how quick a speaker breaks up is also another different spec, though, which is unrelated to the other two. I know that eminence lists how fast its speakers break up as a separate property of the speaker, and I think weber will tune how fast they break up.

when I recommend speakers higher than the given wattage, it's solely as a "better safe than sorry" exercise. I don't want someone coming back blaming me for their blown speaker! But I agree that it's somewhat overdone in here, too highly-rated a speaker will probably result in a sterile kind of tone, which probably isn't what you want. If the speaker doesn't sound good you're wasting your money just as much as a blown speaker will waste it...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?