Is have a myspace even worth it now?
I mean the time , effort and or money to even create a nice one.

I know 2ish years ago it was a MUSTTTTTTT have.
But now .... idk.

I don't know anyone who logs onto myspace even semi regularly anymore. I mean I hate even getting on to listen to bands now. The site is slow as hell. It seems like 95% of comments are spam or other bands spamming other bands pages.
Should I just invest on building a nice website and use facebook as a catalyst to move people towards it?

Kids just aren't getting on anymore searching for new bands IMO.

So in your opinion .... if you were starting a band/music project...

Is a myspace worth having or should I invest my energy and time else where?
Myspace is still a must have like facebook, but a webpage is even more necessary. As soon as facebook releases a music player widget THEN myspace is gonna die.
You don't "have" to have one, it helps though. If you don't have a website for your band then myspace is about the best thing you can do. The reason so many people use myspace is because it is very user friendly as apposed to building an actual website. A lot of venues will want to hear your music before putting you on a show too. This is where having a myspace or a personal site with your music is necessary.

I mean hell 10-15 years ago there was no myspace or any type of social networking sites like we have now. And bands still got by, so obviously you can do it without one. But my question is why not have a myspace? One...It's free...Two...Even if you manage to find 10 more fans from myspace than you did before, thats still 10 more fans.

I'd personally love to find a band that can "make it" with out using the internet, just like the bands of old
Quote by zerocenx
Myspace is still a must have like facebook, but a webpage is even more necessary. As soon as facebook releases a music player widget THEN myspace is gonna die.

They already did.
Quote by Sant_iago_9

Yes, there are a coule third part widgets that come from decent sites. Purevolume type sites that allow you to link to bands, get your plays and DLs and make LOTS of connections.

MySpace is today's Friendster (anyone remeber that?) They tried to hard to add stuff that nobody wanted and now it's difficult to use, no one checks it and it's more of a pain then a help.
You don't need Myspace specifically, but a web page with your demos is usually helpful, at the very least to give promoters a place to look at your music. I don't think that Myspace is that great either, with one band recently I actually used an Ultimate Guitar page and referred people to that.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I agree that Myspace is pretty much dead. However, there's no reason not to have one, even if only as a space to host your recordings.

Facebook is clearly where it is at - for now. And I agree, in order to be perceived as professional, you also need your own dedicated website with a proper URL, etc.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Myspace is useful if you want gigs, well around here it is. Every time my old band asked about playing somewhere, the club owner said that they would need a myspace profile and quite a few wouldn't let us play if we didn't have one. It's basically used just to get gigs now. I say go for it, the worst that could happen is you don't bring any new fans in, and it's a free website so it's not like you are risking anything besides not being "trendy".
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Quote by axemanchris
I agree that Myspace is pretty much dead. However, there's no reason not to have one, even if only as a space to host your recordings.

Facebook is clearly where it is at - for now. And I agree, in order to be perceived as professional, you also need your own dedicated website with a proper URL, etc.

CT

I disagree. I spent a good chunk of my summer writing profiles for bands participating in some pretty major festivals in Canada, such as the SCENE Festival in St. Catherines, and a lot of them, when you clicked on the URL provided by their publicist, would redirect to their MySpace. A good MySpace page has everything you'd need from a dedicated URL - a good bio, pictures, a healthy amount of well-recorded songs, upcoming tour dates, etc...
People forget that MySpace was started as a music site, and only as a bit of a fluke did it take off as a social networking site. I think that now that Facebook has kicked its ass, it will revert to what it started out as - a fairly excellent way for bands to network.
I personally think that Myspace is important, especially for communicating with other bands around your local scene.

There are a few metalcore bands around here that have gotten big through the whole social networking site sorta thing. Not as efficient as getting out there and gigging a few times a week, but it seemed to work for them.
That's interesting. Given that you're involved in the festival scene and such, you'll know that many of those people responsible for filtering out the bands and selecting them will go through Sonic Bids, which also hosts your music.

Sure, most bands do have a myspace, and for that reason. But, as far as a tool for promoting your band to listeners.... not so much, I don't think.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by axemanchris
That's interesting. Given that you're involved in the festival scene and such, you'll know that many of those people responsible for filtering out the bands and selecting them will go through Sonic Bids, which also hosts your music.

Sure, most bands do have a myspace, and for that reason. But, as far as a tool for promoting your band to listeners.... not so much, I don't think.

CT

Well, I was involved in the press side of things. As a Canadian rock musician, I'm sure you used to read CHART magazine, or CHARTattack.com. If you read them in the last 5 months, well, there's a good chance you were reading my writing. We almost never got a sonicbids link, but we got lots of Myspace links. Hell, when we got a press release from Ozzy's publicist (I think it was for his mass scream at Dodgers Stadium), we got a Myspace link. It's still seen as an important outlet for band information. When a band wants me to listen to them, I still ask for their Myspace. Like I said, as a social network, it's pretty much dead, but as a way to promote a band, I think it's still pretty vital. Of course, as with all things related to the web, that could change in a month. But for now, I'd say a well-designed Myspace page is a necessary tool.
And in that much, I agree with you... just not so much for fans.

It was just that when you mentioned festivals, as a band who wants to access the opportunity to play those festivals, the festival organizers will ask for a submission through SonicBids. We have applied to the following, who only took submissions through SonicBids: SCENE, NXNE, CMW, Sound of Music.

CT

To answer your question, it can't hurt, especially if you don't have the tools to have your own website for your material. At this moment, it's not completely dead and it can prove to be a useful booking tool for agencies and venues still using Myspace as a part of their promotions, as more than a few I've looked at have booking policies even ONLY on Myspace.

If you care more about promoting, the best thing to do is maintain a prescience in all areas of consciousness, both online and offline, and not to become too preoccupied with one or the other. My band has four online locations: Myspace, Facebook, Reverbnation, and UG, with the least updated being the UG one. Offline, I tell friends about upcoming shows and me and my band put flyers up for them everywhere we can, and we try to befriend other bands at shows and network that way.
I assume the thread has moved passed this now, but, I'd say that every band should have a Myspace, Facebook, Twitter and a Youtube page.

Just thinking, whenever I hear of a band playing a local venue, I'll google their myspace so I can check them out, I'll check 'em on Facebook so I can clarify the dates, I'll check 'em out on youtube so I can see how they are live. Those three things are vital.

And with Twitter you can keep fans in the know.

Also some people are faithful to one networking site, you need to keep yourself open.
It also gives you 4 different avenues (if there are any other networking sites you use then even more!) for people to get in touch with you.
I still check myspace pages for blogs and tourdates. It's just another website in case your own goes down.
My opinion is that if the avenue is free and people use it, then why not utilize it to promote your band? We all care so much about getting the word of our music out there, and Myspace is just another tool to help us do it. Many venues will look at a band's myspace when considering them for a show, so yes, it is helpful.
In my expirience, I'm finding it's best to be anywhere you can be online. I currently have my band on myspace, facebook, lastfm, and reverbnation. I despise twitter, however I'm considering getting us set up with a twitter account just to get us in another place. As soon as we have a little video content, we will have a youtube. It's all about exposure, and if you stick to just one or two websites your chances of exposure are lessened.
Quote by Momentosis
You guys are getting raped and killed?

Quote by jonathan666666

You win.

In The Amber
Come check us out!
Hey, you guys over the pond need a Lemonrock. It's a website in the UK for 'unsigned' bands. Free to fans but it costs bands and venues £20. All the fans within a set distance of any gig get emailed 10 days before a gig and you get your own page which is as easy to set up and maintain as any on the web. No pop ups or ads either. You also maintain a diary and anyone who wants a band can check out who is available, have a listen look at their pics and videos.

As someone who regularly goes to see local bands I can go on and check local concerts and listen to the bands before I leave the house. I can even check their set lists if they've put them up.

www.lemonrock.com if you want a look
Last edited by Phil Starr at Oct 3, 2010,