Hi

I currently have an SS Peavey studio pro 112 amp that sounds pretty good but I've never had a tube amp so I'm not entirely sure what tubes sound like in person (I've heard thousands on youtube and things). I'm just wondering if you people think I should stick with my Peavey or save for a tube head like an epi hot head or fender champ 600?

Thanks
James
Guitars:
PRS SE Chris Robertson Ltd. Edition (Red)
PRS SE Chris Robertson Ltd. Edition (Blue)
Gibson Les Paul Junior
Fender Standard Stratocaster (MIM)
Vintage V100
Encore Acoustic

Amps:
Marshall Class 5
Blackstar ID:CORE 20
FX:
Boss SD-1
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Well if you want a nice cheap tube amp, Epiphone So-Cal amps sound really good for the price! I would recommend that if you just want a cheap tube, but style?
Ah sorry, I always forget to put my style . Mostly rock/ classic rock. Bands like led zep and AC/DC but I also play foo fighters, green day and them crooked vultures. From what I gather, the so-cal is much higher in price than the valve junior hot head?
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Junior
Vintage V100
Encore Acoustic

Amps:
Marshall Class 5
FX:
Boss SD-1
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
If you're happy with your sound, keep your setup. There's nothing wrong with SS amps.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Try jet city maybe?

Agreed. For the stuff you're playing, a JCA20 might not be bad, nor would a JCA50.

Quote by Jhachey22
If you're happy with your sound, keep your setup. There's nothing wrong with SS amps.

This is also true. I for one think tube amps are over rated. Yes, I own one, but still.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Ok thanks everyone. I'll give the jet cities a look and see if I can stretch to their prices. I think I maybe need to try out a few tube amps just to see how they compare to my peavey and I guess that'll help to make the decision for me
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Junior
Vintage V100
Encore Acoustic

Amps:
Marshall Class 5
FX:
Boss SD-1
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Depending on your budget and playing needs you may wanna look into a Blackheart Hothead and a nice 2x12 cab. The Hothead is very, very Marshally sounding and would do Ac/Dc and Zeppelin well.

But, as said, Jet City amps are definitely worth looking into - they sound great and are very reasonably priced, imo.
JCA20c For sale on MF now for only $300. Otherwise it would be closer to $400usd

Kustom Defender 5 maybe? It lacks features, but paired with a good 1x12 cab I think it would sound good.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind getting a White Box Cab when they come out, only $250usd for one, and they are high quality.

Of course, this is just GAS.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
first time i tried a good tube amp at a decent volume, i had a shit-eating grin on my face for about the next 3 hours.

Yeah, they're that good (if you get a good one, and it suits what you play).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have heard the Jet City amps are good, and also Blackstar HT-5's too. I'm going to be going to Guitar Center soon and see if I can mess around with those two, because I need a small, in-house tube amp.

If you are happy with your current amp, then you don't have to change. But, I bet if you did get a tube amp you would love it. IMO, there is no substitute for a tube amp. They aren't over-rated to me. But thats my opinion.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
Sorry for the slow replies everyone.. I'm pretty tight on money at the moment so I was wondering if its possible to get a good tube amp for around £250? I've got a cab so it could just be a head, doesnt have to include a cab.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Junior
Vintage V100
Encore Acoustic

Amps:
Marshall Class 5
FX:
Boss SD-1
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
yeah, probably, especially if you're more into the classic rock stuff you listed. You can get a valvepower marshall 18 watt clone for £350 (I realise that's over budget, I just mention it in case you can save for longer)- that'd be my pick for classic rock tones if you can stretch or save longer.

If not, there are some more vintage-voiced bugeras (which I haven't tried) around the £250 mark, the v-series... i think the jet city jca20 is around your budget too (haven't tried it either ). Is it for home use or gigs, or both?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by jihedley
Sorry for the slow replies everyone.. I'm pretty tight on money at the moment so I was wondering if its possible to get a good tube amp for around £250? I've got a cab so it could just be a head, doesnt have to include a cab.

If you were to sell your two amps, you could probably find another £100 and get the valvepower like Dave mentioned.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
^ or at least get a good bit closer. Good idea, I didn't think of that.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I was going to sell the fender but 1. I dont think I would get much for it since its a pretty crappy cheap amp and 2. It has this strange problem where it cuts out unless I hit it on the side . I also thought about selling the peavey but I really like the clean tones and I would like to keep it if possible. Sorry that i'm being awkward, I seem to be very picky with amps .
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Junior
Vintage V100
Encore Acoustic

Amps:
Marshall Class 5
FX:
Boss SD-1
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by jihedley
I was going to sell the fender but 1. I dont think I would get much for it since its a pretty crappy cheap amp and 2. It has this strange problem where it cuts out unless I hit it on the side . I also thought about selling the peavey but I really like the clean tones and I would like to keep it if possible. Sorry that i'm being awkward, I seem to be very picky with amps .

you can still sell the amp. the name will help it move. seriously, just out it in the classifieds for $50, and someone will pick it up.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by Jhachey22

+1
Ok.. I went and tried a Vox AC4TV at my local store (it was one of the only 5w tube amps they had). Now I dont think I can get a tube amp as it seemed wayy too loud for my bedroom. That was on the 1w setting aswell. The tube overdrive was delicious but it just seemed way too loud. I have to play quite quietly because of bitchy neighbours .

Anyway thanks for everyones help

James
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Junior
Vintage V100
Encore Acoustic

Amps:
Marshall Class 5
FX:
Boss SD-1
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
bear in mind the vox doesn't have a master volume- that means you have to crank it up to get overdrive. if you get a tube amp with a master volume/preamp gain control, you can get overdrive at low volumes (though at really low volumes it can sound a bit fizzy, depending on the quality of the amp).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeh, the problem is, most small tube amps dont have 'high tech ( )' features like that so I seem to be a bit limited. I've just seen the blackstar ht-1 and that would be amazing if I could get that to work at quiet volumes.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Junior
Vintage V100
Encore Acoustic

Amps:
Marshall Class 5
FX:
Boss SD-1
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
yeah, that's the problem. people see low wattage tube amps and think they're for home use, but 5 watts cranked up is still pretty darn loud. They're easier to crank up than a higher wattage amp, and have a lot less headroom, but they're not really for home practice (unless you live out in the middle of nowhere or something). For home practice something which is higher wattage but which has a good master volume is probably a better idea.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?