So the amp I bought has this Octaver effect built in. It's nice and all but how and when is it used actually?

Is it even used at all in Hard Rock or Heavy/Thrash Metal?
I got one, never use it cause it just ends up sounding muddy.
Arguing on the Internet is a lot like being in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you're still retarded
its used in lots of genres my teacher uses it in blues and jazz

protip: guy above mentioned the muddiness: use the higher up octave effect, not the lower one, or, use the low oct. effect sparingly. this things sorta depends on the quality of the octavier.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by Banjocal
its used in lots of genres my teacher uses it in blues and jazz

protip: guy above mentioned the muddiness: use the higher up octave effect, not the lower one, or, use the low oct. effect sparingly. this things sorta depends on the quality of the octavier.

Yeah but how is it used exactly? Could you please link me to any vids of the effect being given an awesome usage or something like that?
how many octaves can it go up and can you cut out the octave your playing in ??
Quote by Sant_iago_9
So the amp I bought has this Octaver effect built in. It's nice and all but how and when is it used actually?

Is it even used at all in Hard Rock or Heavy/Thrash Metal?

Not used on a record, but to give you an example of a good use:

The bassline from Sunshine of your Love by Cream is played in the 10th position. Try playing it with your an octaver. Sounds cool, right?

Best results IMO often come from using it with notes higher than your open A. Below can cause muddiness or tracking problems depending on the circuit