get me a strong, more impacting sound on my pinch harmonics?

at the moment i use 9's (super slinkies).

i know you usually say its in technique to pinch harmonic questions, but i can do them, and they sound ok, just a bit thin and not so exciting, even with vibrato.

so will thicker strings make them sound better?
Last edited by jkielq91 at Sep 23, 2010,
I think Zakk Wylde uses .11s.
Arguing on the Internet is a lot like being in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you're still retarded
From personal experience, no. I use super slinkies and I get a better pinches from them than I ever did on heavier strings. I also found lower tunings on slinkies produced a better tone within the pinch. But thats just me.
thicker strings will make it harder to do them, but it will give them a different sound as well. Go ahead and try it if you think you've got the technique down right...

But I'll also say that you should still be able to get a gnarly squealie on 9's
I disagree, Thicker strings = Easier harmonics
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
I remember seeing somewhere that thicker strings means a better tone, but thin strings also is easier to play on.
well, i use .13's, and i can gt natrual harmonics on the following frets (and the microtones): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 12.

pinch harmonic, every fret up til the 17th fret.

and 9's? O_O. you a baby, boy.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Thicker strings=for real men, better squealies, overall a lot better
Quote by BrokenDstring
Just smear poo all over everything he owns. Trade him for a fake les paul. Turtle his backpack. Bang his friends.

THIS IS WHAT THE PIT IS. RETARDED THREADS. ALL DAY, EVERY GOD DAMN DAY.
Quote by ishmonkey
Thicker strings=for real men, better squealies, overall a lot better

anything below 11 is floppy.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
I like my 9's and I can do great pinches everywhere, suck on that =P

EDIT: Pinch harmonics aren't about how thick your strings are or how much gain you use...its about the technique, because I can do pinches even on acoustics and they're usually pretty audible.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
Last edited by RBM01991 at Sep 23, 2010,
Quote by Banjocal
well, i use .13's, and i can gt natrual harmonics on the following frets (and the microtones): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 12.

pinch harmonic, every fret up til the 17th fret.

and 9's? O_O. you a baby, boy.

sounds like a technique flaw I use 13s for drop b nd I get them perfectly on all frets
Quote by BrokenDstring
Just smear poo all over everything he owns. Trade him for a fake les paul. Turtle his backpack. Bang his friends.

THIS IS WHAT THE PIT IS. RETARDED THREADS. ALL DAY, EVERY GOD DAMN DAY.
Quote by ishmonkey
sounds like a technique flaw I use 13s for drop b nd I get them perfectly on all frets

it is: on the higher frets my brain dosent work fast enough to find 12 frets above it to get the sqealie just right.

and the NH's: the 11th fret and 13th fret sound very slightly different, but basically, they sound almost exactly the same as the 12th.

im lurking btw.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by Banjocal
anything below 11 is floppy.

depends on you tuning... for anything below drop c, .12's give it a cleaner sound and less of that harsh bite you get with the smaller strings... but in standard? 11's are waaaayyy to big
Quote by bass-boy-garith
Quote by guitarhero_764
I guess I'm kind of like a hippie. I'm anti-war, do drugs, and like communism.
Your not a hippie, just a ****ing moron.
Quote by ishmonkey

I play with 11's in standard tuning and get them perfectly on every fret.

To TS, seriously dude, get bigger strings to beef up your tone, if for no other reason.

...and let me guess, you use "thin" pick's too, huh?
Quote by cukd7x-a2-
depends on you tuning... for anything below drop c, .12's give it a cleaner sound and less of that harsh bite you get with the smaller strings... but in standard? 11's are waaaayyy to big

in std, .12's are just right. Eb, .13s, and anything lower, .14's and .15's.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by cukd7x-a2-

and on your scale length.
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
Quote by adj209
and on your scale length.

+1

On my LP I play with 11's b/c of the scale. 10's are too sloppy (IMO)
I use PH's even in my fillers, rhythm, and leads. why not flaunt it if ya got, right?!

If ya got a 25+ scale guitar (thing strat scale length) then you should really use 10's It will really give your guitar a whole new feel and tone, too.

If you use and LP or 24.75 scale guitar I would suggest going to 11's. To me, they feel like a set of 10's on a 25.5 scale guitar. This is just my opinion. PLay around with different string sizes and see which you like better. The best rule of thumb is this;

in standard; 11's or 12's

1/2 step down; 12's

full step down; 12's or 13's ...and so on.
I'm trying out .12's now and my band tunes to D Standard.

I've found that I can still do the pinches, but it takes more accuracy and effort. That's not a bad thing, but it did take some practice.

As with anything, you may have to try a couple combinations to find what will work best for you.