i just set up a drumset in the storage room in the basement of my house for recording and the problem is its really loud and the sound carries throught the house upset a few people so whats a cheap and easy way i can dampen the sounds or completly sound proof the room so my drumming doesn't desturb the other members of my house? it's just a large concrete room in the basement just so you know
2008 Fender Mex Tele
1994 Fender Japan Jazzmaster
2009 epiphone dot limited edition
personally build gibson sg junior
1974 Fender Pro reverb
2001 Fender Blues deville 4x10
TS-808 Ibanez tubescreamer
EH big muff
Yeah man, using egg crates and/or cup holders from mcdonalds or burger king will help dampen the sound alot!

putting the cup holders in and around the borders of the windows and around the doors with blankets on the walls will do you a great service by dampening the noise, you will also get less of an echo in the room.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
build a "room inside a room"

basically just frame it up and make sure there aren't many/any air gaps around the door to get in and stuff like that.

then fill the void with whatever you want between the box and the normal room. (newspaper, blankets, carpet samples, insulation, foam, basically anything).

if you can't do that, i'd suggest going on craigslist and getting a bunch of old mattresses and carpet scraps from behind carpet stored... really cheap and effective, just doesn't look too pretty
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
I should have added: If you live near any poultry farms, see if you can get an egg crate pallette of 96 count or so. It'll save you a lot of work once you get that in the basement.
the egg box thing is a myth dont bother wasting your time with that. Im in the same predicament with a room my bands having to jam in, I've been told that duvets are really good but really you're gonna have to do something to the ceiling if your in a basement, you cant fully sound proof a room unless it was originally build to be soundproofed but you can still dampen it. Best things to dampen the sound is anything dense, or a wall or in your case some kind of floating ceiling with an air gap, thats pretty much the only way. Also thick doors and any gaps being sealed will help too. I've found out all this myself recently from sound on sound and talking to people in my local music shops who know their stuff.

Hope this helps!
1980 Gibson Silverburst Les Paul Custom
Gretsch G5445T Electromatic Double Jet
De Armond MT-75
1978 Aria Pro 2 Les Paul Standard (Lawsuit)

Orange Rockerverb 100 Head
Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange 4x12 Cab
Vampower 4x12 Cab
Ampeg 2x10 Cab

Ain't telling you my pedals!
also neither do matteresses (spelling? lol)
1980 Gibson Silverburst Les Paul Custom
Gretsch G5445T Electromatic Double Jet
De Armond MT-75
1978 Aria Pro 2 Les Paul Standard (Lawsuit)

Orange Rockerverb 100 Head
Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange 4x12 Cab
Vampower 4x12 Cab
Ampeg 2x10 Cab

Ain't telling you my pedals!
Quote by qotsakyuss
the egg box thing is a myth dont bother wasting your time with that.

A myth huh? and mattresses wont work either? Egg crates and cup holders work wonders guys, they sure dont if you just stack them in the corner and leave them there but if you acctually hang them up around your windows and doors and on your walls they work.

a myth lol
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
The eggcrates don't do anything.

says Tweak from Tweakheadz.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
On soundproofing, something I posted pretty recently in another thread....

There is no such thing as cheap soundproofing. It's complicated, and it's expensive. Anything that does not match that description is going to be dodgy at best.

Essentially, soundproofing comes down to a simple formula:

mass + insulation (even air space is fine) + mass = soundproof. The effectiveness of this equation is dependent upon how much mass you have, and how air-tight the air space is.

Generally, what is done to soundproof a space is to build a room within the room such that the floor, walls and ceilings are not connected to the outer floor, walls or ceiling with anything that will transfer vibration.

The "outer room" will have studs placed not against the wall, but in from the wall a little bit. The wall frames and floor of the "inner room" will be elevated and placed on dense absorptive foam rubber or similar material. The "inner room" will also be connected to the ceiling of the outer room with a similar kind of material. The "inner room" will be constructed with drywall or something - maybe double-thickness - placed on *both* sides of the studs. This gives you an airspace between the two layers of drywall, and an air space between that and the outer room.

The studs for the walls will also typically be offset from one another so that the outer wall and the inner wall do not touch - almost like one frame for the outer part of the wall and another frame for the inner part of the wall.

Think of this... you know that old trick with the tin cans and the string where the sound travels along the string? Well, you can sound-proof the sh!t out of your walls and ceiling, but the sound will travel along the floor across the joists and follow the joists to the outside. Similarly, if your inner room and outer room are connected... say... the screws for the drywall going into the studs, and then those same studs touching the outer layer of drywall, you have the potential for sound transference from the inside to the outside.

Think of this too.... sound travels through the air in waves. That means that if air can get out, then logic says that sound can get out. No prob.... just block off all the air holes with enough mass and insulation and enough mass again to absorb all the sound waves. Er... wait a sec..... but if air can't get out.... how can it get in? Ooops.

So, about the egg cartons...

They will help control reflections.

They will NOT help to soundproof a room. Why? Basic science. They have no significant mass.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Good post again Chris

This is the sort of information it might be useful to make an FAQ about, considering so many people still seem so sure that egg boxes are the answer.
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
Was going to post about eggboxes being the wrong way forward, then saw CT's post...stealing all the fun Hehe
Hey, look. Sigs are back.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.