Does someone having different opinions than you affect your view of them?

Poll: I
Poll Options
View poll results: I
COULD quit a friendship if someone differs from my opinion of something!
29 40%
COULD NEVER do that
29 40%
Asterix and Obelix.
14 19%
Voters: 72.
Page 1 of 2
I am a pretty opiniated guy. I feel very strongly about many things and will defend my opinion against anyone.

However, if someone disagrees with me, that doesn't mean I do not like them. My question to you is, if someone is of a different opinion on a topic you feel strongly about, does that change the way you look at them? Would you ever quit a friendship because of differing points of view?
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Sep 23, 2010,
Depends on the specific topic at hand, but yeah.
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
Depends how strongly they disagree and about what.
Appreciating Metal since 1998

R.I.P - Ronnie James Dio

1942-2010
There's some things that will do that, like if the person feels it's acceptable to be judgemental or hurtful on purpose.

For most of the trivial things however, no, it doesn't make a difference.

You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.

Steam: | PSN: Zeroxxed | Twitter:
No, I like people for who they are and it doesn't matter to me if they have different view points, not everybody thinks the same, and I don't expect everyone to think the same as me.
STಠ_ಠ
Yes because I'm a tremendous asshole.

No.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Nope, nobody I know agrees with me on anything so I'd be prety screwed if I only liked people who agree with me. I like conflicting oppinions, keeps things interesting
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
One of my really good guy friends is like strongly Christian where as I'm Agnostic and normally we just agree to have different religious opinions, but sometimes it does affect things like how I'm getting a tattoo in 2 weeks and he doesn't agree with it since there's something about not permanently marring your body in the bible. Though it doesn't change the way I look at him like he's still my best friend lol and same with other people in situations like that, most times you just have to agree to not let it get in the way.
Music is my refuge.
I can crawl into the space between the notes and curl my back to loneliness.

Depends on the subject.

If they're religious views are different to mine then that's fine.
If they're all Jehovah's Witness about it and shove their religion down my throat (inb4 Catholics are pedos joke) and keep talking to me about the bible and how I should repent for my sins, etc. Then I'd end it.
E-adopted by Andrea55

Quote by RubberPuppiessu
sucks to be you

Quote by metal4eva_22
you fail on so many levels it's funny

Formspring

[Insert statement here]
Depends on many things. Are they very preachy about it? Does their opinion affect their behaviour? Although, now that I think about it, if they were so open about their opinions that I don't agree with we probably would never have become friends in the first place.

It's hard for me to say since there isn't much that I very strongly believe in.
I voted that I could.

For most things - I don't mind. Conflict of interest can have very nice results.

But if someone has things in common with me but then is just so anti-abortion or so anti-atheism or so racist or anything else that is so full of hate, with a bad attitude then tbh they can bugger off.
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
If I said to a buddy, "You know, I'm just not into date rape." and he says, "What? Why not?!" then that might change things a little bit.
Something like an opposing ideology would make a difference.

I wouldn't associate with someone with a very conservative agenda.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Hamburger Phones.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

If they're racist, I won't even bother to tell them Im cutting 'em loose from my "network" of friends.

If their beliefs differ, then fair enough. Live and let live, as long as they let me be me.
Not really, I have close friends who are huge right wingers and some very religious friends. I'm not gonna go set up a political party with them but they're fun people.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
I would only end a friendship with someone because of their opinions if they either got in the way of our friendship or if they are harmful (i.e. racist, etc).
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

We raise the Vibratory so high
That all untruth will fall of its own dead weight
I don't care if someone has a different opinion than me. I mean, if they're really, really racist, or prejudice, etc. then I just tend to not talk to that person.

But, really, it's the people who are REALLY vocal about their differing opinions. Shoving it in your face, or seeing/reading something and then asking asking you forced questions like, "Doesn't that just make you sick?" forcing you to either agree with them, or chance getting into an argument.

I'm friends with people who have different opinions than me on a lot topics, but they don't make you feel like an asshole for not agreeing with them.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by CoreysMonster
Oh cmon Steve, it's a fun little inside joke

I think you misinterpreted

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Depends. If it's something like politics or religion or music or something like that, I couldn't give a shit.

Other things like hate, then maybe.
If they have the views of a killer, I'm not going to hang out with them...or let them know where I live
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Not really, I have close friends who are huge right wingers and some very religious friends. I'm not gonna go set up a political party with them but they're fun people.

Well yeah. I don't care if people have different views on religion to me, or if people get creeped out by more extreme piercings I have or even when friends of mine don't get on with one another.

But if they're Christian and try to put that on me it's just.... why would you try to do that?
Quote by SteveHouse
If they're really aggressive about forcing their views on me, yes. If they're a nice person and are willing to accept the fact that we simply think differently, then I have no issue with them.

Actually, I have some very good friends that are also strong conservatives.
Actually, I don't really understand people who can't get on with someone after discovering that they hold a different opinion about things. I mean, surely everyone has a controversial viewpoint or two; I'm a big dirty commie but I'd hate to think that someone would refuse to speak to me upon discovering that and because of that I'd never do that to another person. Surely everyone is relatively sure of their beliefs at any given time until they are convinced otherwise, so why can't they see that others are the same and treat them with the respect with which they themselves would like to be treated. You can respect the person without respecting the idea, because even if you feel the person is completely wrong they may feel the same way about you.
It's a terrible feeling to be shunned for beliefs that you hold in a genuine manner. I left a political party I was involved in because I no longer agreed with their agenda, and since then one or two individuals from said party won't speak to me, which is pretty whack. Seems like a sad way to go through life, sure we all like to talk to people who share our outlook on life, but to be unable to separate "I disagree with your views" from "Man, you're fun to have a beer with" must suck.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
^^ racism is never okay in a person. I will not accept people that are.

I won't ignore them, but they will never be good friends with me, even if we have plenty else in common.
Quote by SteveHouse
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Well yeah. I don't care if people have different views on religion to me, or if people get creeped out by more extreme piercings I have or even when friends of mine don't get on with one another.

But if they're Christian and try to put that on me it's just.... why would you try to do that?

Agreed. However it's usually pretty easy to steer clear of controversial stuff like that with people; unless they're complete tools.
I've a mate who's pretty homophobic for example, but he's got great taste in movies etc and that's the kind of stuff we talk about, when stuff related to his homophobia comes up, as it inevitably will now and again, we generally just ignore it or occasionally have a discussion about it, which can be fun because we're both mature enough to discuss it in a way where no-one feels hurt or put down.

I think that t's not so much the views a person holds, but the personality of the person that makes the difference.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Depends on the opinion obviously.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
others opinions rarely affect my opinion of them, as long as they don't try to force their ideals on me then i can get along with just about anyone.
If it's something that I strongly disagree with and is just something that a decent human being shouldn't believe in, then yes.
Everyone who keeps saying things like racism, and intolerance in general, and pushing beliefs on each other:

There's a difference between difference in opinion and being a prick.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Page 1 of 2