I know there will be several threads about similar issues already but i need a response fast before it happens again.

I resently reinstalled Win XP Home SP2 and now my PC keeps resetting itself without warning. It doesn't matter what I am doing on the PC either, I could be playing music or watching an .avi file or whatever and it'l just shut down and restart.

I don't get a blue screen of death (or else I would know what is wrong), my BIOS is showing no information with regards to over heating or I/O errors (or again I would have an idea what is wrong) and I have replaced all connections, RAM and the motherboards battery. I have also reinstalled Win XP as well.

So any ideas what is wrong? And how to fix it?

I have a pretty good knowledge of Windows OS and PC hardware.

Cheers in advance
My Guitars:
Epiphone Flying V
Westfield SG
Laney Lc15110 230 G Tube Combo 15W
Presonus Audiobox USB

check out http://soundcloud.com/
eddiechance
Are you sure it's nothing to do with heating, the temperature would be ok upon restart and checking the BIOS because it had a little while to cool down, but it may reach a critical heat point and reset beforehand?

Alternatively, make sure all the processes in task manager are working properly and none of them are ending suddenly or whatnot, because they can cause it to restart
Already checked the even logs for windows program faults, errors and system shut down. I monitored the BIOS core temperature to see if it still shutdown before loading windows to rule out HDD and/or OS faults and the temperature was stable and shutdown with out hitting a critical level
My Guitars:
Epiphone Flying V
Westfield SG
Presonus Audiobox USB

eddiechance
Could be a virus, are there any weird services/processes running? Just to be sure it's not virus, scan it using Hitman Pro
Epiphone SG-G400.
Crate Flexwave 15W
Korg Toneworks Modeling Signal Processor AX3G
Nope. Power supply. I faced this dilemma a few years ago.

You may be able to replace it, but for what they cost you might be better off with a new machine. Basically it is a gigantic coil of copper weighing most of the weight of your tower and because copper is so expensive these days, that giant wad of copper is expensive.

Sorry.

You can always salvage your hard drive, though. It doesn't sound like anything's wrong with it.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

As I put in my original post I have reinstalled sindows twice, all that is on the system at the moment is firefox, windows XP home sp 2, my wireless drivers and Bitdefender Total Security 2010 (original copy not a pirate)
My Guitars:
Epiphone Flying V
Westfield SG
Presonus Audiobox USB

eddiechance
Quote by Bubonic Chronic

You may be able to replace it, but for what they cost you might be better off with a new machine. Basically it is a gigantic coil of copper weighing most of the weight of your tower and because copper is so expensive these days, that giant wad of copper is expensive.

Sorry.

You can always salvage your hard drive, though. It doesn't sound like anything's wrong with it.

This. It seems like it restarts when you're doing something that consumes more power, but the power supply can't keep up.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Quote by Bubonic Chronic

Sorry.

I know its not the HDD now I ran all the tests I was trained to on an MCSE course I took

If it is the power supply I would only need to by a new one and they cost about £17 (if that) as this is a very old machine so only needs a 20-pin 400-watt power supply.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by a power supply being a giant copper coil though
My Guitars:
Epiphone Flying V
Westfield SG
Presonus Audiobox USB

eddiechance
Quote by zgr0826
This. It seems like it restarts when you're doing something that consumes more power, but the power supply can't keep up.

It reset when all I had was the BIOS running as I monitored the core temperature
My Guitars:
Epiphone Flying V
Westfield SG
Presonus Audiobox USB

eddiechance
If you have a reset button, check to see if it's stuck. You can pull the reset button wire off the mobo.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Quote by OldRocker
If you have a reset button, check to see if it's stuck. You can pull the reset button wire off the mobo.

Yea I thought that as well but that wouldn't explain why it resets randomly and not after a specific time or how it generally manages to start all the way up without a problem.

Although so far it has stayed on for a few hours but I don't want to tempt fate too much lol.

I think it may be time to just save and build a new machine as this thing is ancient like, infact it is unupgradeable now lol
My Guitars:
Epiphone Flying V
Westfield SG
Presonus Audiobox USB

eddiechance
Quote by freighttrain
If it is the power supply I would only need to by a new one and they cost about £17 (if that) as this is a very old machine so only needs a 20-pin 400-watt power supply.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by a power supply being a giant copper coil though

Well, the transformer (the coil) is a part of the power supply, I think. I believe computers run on DC, and there's got to be a transformer and a rectifier in there if that's the case.

Anyway that's a major source of computer restart problems, especially on a fresh install of XP, one of the more stable Windows OS's ever.

Now if you told me it was Vista, I would cyber-slap you and tell you that explains everything!!!
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Quote by freighttrain
Yea I thought that as well but that wouldn't explain why it resets randomly and not after a specific time or how it generally manages to start all the way up without a problem.

Although so far it has stayed on for a few hours but I don't want to tempt fate too much lol.

I think it may be time to just save and build a new machine as this thing is ancient like, infact it is unupgradeable now lol

I had the same problem and happened at any time so I pulled the wire and it stopped. I guess the switch was barely touching and it became an intermittent problem.

Another thing you can check is your bios and see if you have cpu thermal shutdown or throttling enabled. I'd set it to throttling and see if your system slows down.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+