Page 1 of 2
Suppose someone close to you, a family member or good friend even, was terminally ill or had an incurable condition which would making living difficult or impossible without machines and speciallist medical care (such as motor neurone disease).

If they asked, would you help them in taking their own life if it was their absolute sincere wish to die? Would you even do what many people have done before in taking them to Switzerland's Dignitas clinic?

Bonus questions to anyone who answers: what is your opinion on mercy killings? I've been reading about the case of Frances Inglis, who killed her brain-damaged son with a heroin overdose in what she described as an act of mercy. She told the court who tried her that her son would not have wanted to live the life he was leading after an incident where he jumped out of a moving ambulance that led to him being severely brain-damaged and unable to talk, walk or eat.

I personally can understand why people do such things and I can support genuine cases where the killer believes the other is suffering.
No. Never. Next question!
Seamonkey has my money!

Quote by shattamakar
My dog came into my room while I was fapping.
I couldn't look Wolfie in the eye for a week.
Quote by PeZ546
No, that sort of thing can prey heavily on your conscience.

If it were the absolute wish of someone I knew to die, or if I knew and believed honestly that a close relation was suffering, then I know I wouldn't suffer any guilt in helping them to die.
If they were terminally ill and wanted me to (and I was sure they were in a correct state of mind when condoning it), then yes I would.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
If situations were severe enough and I was ABSOLUTELY certain it was their wish, I reluctantly could. I'm sure it would bother me the rest of my life though.
Quote by Momentosis
You guys are getting raped and killed?

Quote by jonathan666666

You win.

In The Amber
Come check us out!
I would, since if they really wanted to die they would either find some way to kill themselves or just live in a state of huge depression and would lack any motivation to live. I'd rather make it easier for them.
if you help someone kill himself , is it still suicide ? xD i think your atleast a murder than xD

M-Audio Fastrack + Pod Farm

Korg Pitchblack
Boss ME25
Maxon OD808
Fame T120H
Framus 1x12 G12t100 Cab
Quote by darkcheef
No, I'm not going to jail for killing a dying person.

The CPS now is reviewing whether those who do assist suicides should be prosecuted. Quite a few people who assisted family to go to Dignitas haven't been prosecuted, and many mercy killers have also not been prosecuted.
I would if they were going to end up in such a way that their life was unbearable as I would want the same. Also I would feel more guilt if I said no and had to watch how much they suffered physically and emotionally
My Guitars:
Epiphone Flying V
Westfield SG
Laney Lc15110 230 G Tube Combo 15W
Presonus Audiobox USB

check out http://soundcloud.com/
eddiechance
It's my opinion that you should be able to go to any medical clinic and get an assisted suicide. We each have the right to end our own lives.
Quote by freighttrain
I would if they were going to end up in such a way that their life was unbearable as I would want the same. Also I would feel more guilt if I said no and had to watch how much they suffered physically and emotionally

This is true, I'm pretty sure I'd be more guilty of refusing than actually helping to end their suffering.
yes, but I'd do so in the most brutally and painful manner possible.. most likely involving a chainsaw
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
No. It's a crime called murder around here.
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
to be fair, it's a bit illegal here in the UK. so probably not.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
I would.It's..humane.I wouldn't let someone really close to me suffer because I was too much of a pussy to help.I think it would be easier on my consience than watching that person suffering the way to oblivion knowing I didn't help on a last wish because I didn't have the balls for it.That's kind of the extra mile..
If you could reason with religious people,there would be no religious people.
It's sad that if an animal is suffering from an illness, we can easily put them to sleep yet a human has to suffer until the end.
It's not the same, but I had to make the DNR decisions for my father and posters are right that it bothers you the rest of your life. I could do it if someone asked me to if the circumstnaces were as you said, considering I've had to make the decision without their consent before... It's not right to let a human being turn into a vegetable because you are to afraid to go on without them.
Uncle aciD

&

The deadbeatS

Do What Your Love Tells You
Yes.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Nope. If they wanna do it themselves, then I won't stop them. I'm gonna let nature run its course otherwise.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
yes, i put my animals down when they are that way, no reason not to let my family have the same benefit.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Depends how much pain they're in. I probably still wouldn't do it in that case though, since it's illegal.

Tricky subject.
Quote by Stormx
I tremble before your enormous penis.
Quote by molala2
and i farted, it was really stink
Quote by italiarlz135
Led Pepplin, you are god because of this thread.
Quote by josh999x, Brick23

I'm a supporter of euthanasia in certain situations. Quebec has actually very recently opened up a commission on looking in to legalizing it due to 70% of the population supporting it. I'm not from Quebec myself, but that might be something of interest to you guys.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
I'm a supporter of euthanasia in certain situations. Quebec has actually very recently opened up a commission on looking in to legalizing it due to 70% of the population supporting it. I'm not from Quebec myself, but that might be something of interest to you guys.

Yeah, the CPS (Crown Prosecution Service, the guys who decide which cases go to court) have said they're reviewing their guidelines for prosecution of those who do assist in suicides. It'll essentially legalize it unless there is evidence to suggest that there is reason for prosecution.
Would i be comfortable with it? **** no. If i believed it was really in their best interest though, i probably would, surely it would be imoral to let them suffer.
Yes.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
In all seriousness, now that I got my dick post out of the way, I know that if I was quadraplegic, I would no longer want to live. I would feel as if I was just in the way of the people forced to take care of me. And being paralyzed neck down, would be boring as hell.
I support allowing assisted suicide in hospitals under professional supervision, but I wouldn't want any part of doing it myself, no. I believe it should be legal for somebody who is terminally ill and rational enough to make the decision to end their own life, and I believe hospitals should assist them in this. I don't need to be a part of it myself.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
I don't believe in mercy killing, for political and moral reasons.

That being said, if I got verbal confirmation that my friend wanted to die, I'd help.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
It's sad that if an animal is suffering from an illness, we can easily put them to sleep yet a human has to suffer until the end.

It's quite worrying, I'm agreeing with Fassa quite a lot lately.

You make some good points.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by GodofCheesecake
I support allowing assisted suicide in hospitals under professional supervision, but I wouldn't want any part of doing it myself, no. I believe it should be legal for somebody who is terminally ill and rational enough to make the decision to end their own life, and I believe hospitals should assist them in this. I don't need to be a part of it myself.

Actually, this. He just managed to articulate what he meant over 9000 times better than I did.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Only if I can strap them to a bomb and blow them up, yes.

Oh wait...
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by TomusAM
In all seriousness, now that I got my dick post out of the way, I know that if I was quadraplegic, I would no longer want to live. I would feel as if I was just in the way of the people forced to take care of me. And being paralyzed neck down, would be boring as hell.

Well unless you were a complete vegetable. I think there would be something that would make you want to keep living, like (assuming you'd be a young quadraplegic) friends and family.
Page 1 of 2