Hi Guys,

I recently got a Peavey VK100 head and 412 cab. I mainly play guitar but sometimes stand in as bassist for another band. I used to use my Musicman HD 212 130 as a bass amp as well as the intended use as a guitar amp. Would my new VK100 be fine doing this as well, has anyone tried it out and could you recommend any setup.
probably won't sound good at all, but its safe as long as you use a bass cabinet
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Rule number one for amps:

Guitar amp = don't put a bass through it. It WILL go bang. Lowering the volume just prolongs the inevitable.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Quote by GDM
Hi Guys,

I recently got a Peavey VK100 head and 412 cab. I mainly play guitar but sometimes stand in as bassist for another band. I used to use my Musicman HD 212 130 as a bass amp as well as the intended use as a guitar amp. Would my new VK100 be fine doing this as well, has anyone tried it out and could you recommend any setup.

I don't recommend it at all.

Just sell the guitar amp and get a real bass amp.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by druggietoad2k5
Rule number one for amps:

Guitar amp = don't put a bass through it. It WILL go bang. Lowering the volume just prolongs the inevitable.

Not true, Robert Trujillo uses a Mesa Triple Rectifier through bass cabinets.

As long as you play it through bass speakers, OP, you should be fine.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Not true, Robert Trujillo uses a Mesa Triple Rectifier through bass cabinets.

As long as you play it through bass speakers, OP, you should be fine.

Wait wait what?

That kinda surprises me tbh. The EQ is in a weird place for a bass guitar.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Wait wait what?

That kinda surprises me tbh. The EQ is in a weird place for a bass guitar.

http://www.guitarworld.com/metallica_death_magnetic_gear_rigs_robert_trujillo

DUAL Rectifier, actually, not Triple, it seems.

He also uses Ampeg SVTs, so I guess he uses the Rectos for distorted tones?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Don't use it with a guitar cab, it will blow the speakers. If you play it through a matched bass cab, it will be safe but probalby sound like shit.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
yea i dont really see any problem, youd just need speakers that could handle the frequencies. the amp will be fine, its just like having a guitar with way lower strings/tuning. imo it makes for great stoner tones sometimes. the only other issue i could see is that bass pickups typically have more output than guitar ones just by nature, but then there are all these people doing 18 and 27 volt mods on their emgs so that leads me to rule that out, but im not sure i guess.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
what about guys who play teh b00talz in on a seven string like octave down through guitar amps... isn't that the same thing.
Quote by Linqua5150
yea i dont really see any problem, youd just need speakers that could handle the frequencies. the amp will be fine, its just like having a guitar with way lower strings/tuning. imo it makes for great stoner tones sometimes. the only other issue i could see is that bass pickups typically have more output than guitar ones just by nature, but then there are all these people doing 18 and 27 volt mods on their emgs so that leads me to rule that out, but im not sure i guess.

I was researching all the issues with using a guitar amp for playing bass, and basically it came down to the EQ not quite being right (I would assume a separate EQ would help?) and the output of active pickups. I wasn't able to find anything specific about it though and kind of gave up looking into it anymore, but I think passives wouldn't cause any problems at all. Seemed to be a lot of differing opinions on whether bass pick ups had too much output for a guitar amp.

I never ended up getting a bass cabinet to try it out so I can't offer any opinion of how it would sound but if it's just a now and then thing and you don't need it to sound awesome, all you need is a bass cabinet.
Quote by seanxbrulon
what about guys who play teh b00talz in on a seven string like octave down through guitar amps... isn't that the same thing.

Not quite. Yes, guitar speakers aren't designed so much to handle those lower frequencies, but a lot more of it has to do with the sort of "pop" that a bass creates when you hit the strings (especially so with slap style). Bass speakers have a higher 'x-max' than guitar speakers do, which essentially means the cone is allowed to move further.

If you google it speaker xmax you can find a lot of info about it written much better than I coudl