Ever since I started playing, I have used an unorthodox picking style because it was most comfortable. I found out a year or so later (a while ago) that my style was not "correct." I tried the correct style (the standard one most everyone uses I guess) and it hurt my right index finger where the skin and fingernail met (on the outside, the side facing the thumb). That being said, I didn't continue using the standard technique because it was very uncomfortable. As I have become a better guitarist, I really have noticed my picking technique has been hindering my ability to play, and I've been giving the normal picking stance another go. It still hurts that part of my finger, and I need to know...when you guys started playing, was it like that for you? Did you have to develop a callus on your picking finger as well? I've also noticed, while uncomfortable, my accuracy and attack is GREATLY improved while using the standard picking technique as opposed to my current picking technique.

SORRY FOR THE WALL OF TEXT

TL;DR I use a weird picking technique, trying to go to standard, but it hurts my index finger where the skin meets the fingernail. Any suggestions (am I supposed to have a callus there?)?
Quote by tomc2
i'd probably say just keep playing that way, and if your fingernail is really short, let it grow a little bit, so it's a little bit over the end of the finger

Sorry I guess I wasn't specific enough, the fingernail is the problem. It hurts where the fingernail ends (facing the thumb), where the end of the fingernail meets the skin, so I think if I grew my fingernail it would only worsen the problem.
i had the same problems. i recently changed my picking technique from something unorthodox to something more standard. It took a little while to get the pick position that was the best and to get somewhat comfortable with it. Im still not 100% comfortable with it like i was with my previous picking style, but it has greatly improved my endurance because i now pick from my wrist a lot easier. It has since improved everything else as well.
If I'm not misunderstanding you, while holding your palm out, the left side of your right index finger hurts.

Also, are you sure you're holding it correctly? Or could it be you holding your pick too tightly?
I found this also, but there were some techniques taht i could do much better with my old style (sweep picking mainly), so i just switch between them. And all is well for me.

Toodles!
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
Quote by triface
If I'm not misunderstanding you, while holding your palm out, the left side of your right index finger hurts.

Also, are you sure you're holding it correctly? Or could it be you holding your pick too tightly?

Yeah, I'm holding it correctly, and I do hold it pretty tight. The reason for that is I use thick strings and I have to hold it tight to do any sort of fast/accurate picking, maybe I'll pick up some lighter strings (like the old days )