I'm pretty much set on saving for a PRS SE Custom 24, was just wondering though:

Are the stock electronics really good? I plan on getting this guitar and holding off on getting a new for awhile, so if the electronics are less than the best out there, then I can just replace them.

Pick-ups mainly, that is.

Is the bridge any good? Tuning machines? I will probably replace the strap buttons with strap locks.

Any help?
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
My friend abused his trem a bit and now it's kinda hard for his to stay in tune.

The pickups sound pretty clear versus my muddy stock epiphone pickups. I can't comment on the actual "Tone" of them because I heard them through an over-gained spider IV.

Sorely considering they had clarity in the same amp when my Epi didn't I assume they're decent pickups that don't need replacing. If you feel they're not right I'd figure you'd be perfectly fine with them until you had the money and were comfortable to get them replaced.

If anything I'd get straplocks and if you plan on diveboming a lot (I suggest you don't) then you should get locking tuners as well.
Quote by siverstorm
My friend abused his trem a bit and now it's kinda hard for his to stay in tune.

The pickups sound pretty clear versus my muddy stock epiphone pickups. I can't comment on the actual "Tone" of them because I heard them through an over-gained spider IV.

Sorely considering they had clarity in the same amp when my Epi didn't I assume they're decent pickups that don't need replacing. If you feel they're not right I'd figure you'd be perfectly fine with them until you had the money and were comfortable to get them replaced.

If anything I'd get straplocks and if you plan on diveboming a lot (I suggest you don't) then you should get locking tuners as well.

Straplocks are awesome. Divebombing, most likely a no-no, but I will definitely be doing some trem work.

I'm not going to abuse the trem, just use it to tweak solos probably.

Pickups won't be a problem for me, I just figured that all out a minute ago.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Yea if you string your guitar properly and only do light vibratos with the trem you should be perfectly fine.
Quote by Guitarbaddie
I'm pretty much set on saving for a PRS SE Custom 24, was just wondering though:

Are the stock electronics really good? I plan on getting this guitar and holding off on getting a new for awhile, so if the electronics are less than the best out there, then I can just replace them.

Pick-ups mainly, that is.

Is the bridge any good? Tuning machines? I will probably replace the strap buttons with strap locks.

Any help?

no.
Quote by AcousticMirror
no.

Hey look, someone who doesn't have a functional brain trying to give advice. Stay off the internet until you can actually think, alright? Thanks in advance.

I've always liked their bridges- they seem a step up from a Strat trem, though not as stable or as wide a range as a Floyd Rose. It doesn't surprise me that abusing them will damage them though.
Can't really comment on the tuning machines, all I used them for was making sure it was relatively in tune before trying it out.

The pickups were okay through the Vypyr. I like to test guitars through that while getting a feel for them first, then if I like it, I move up to a big boy- in this case, I tried the PRS out on an Orange Rockerverb 50. On the clean channel they had a nice chimey tone, but I thought they could use a little more character. They sounded rather flat, boring, for lack of a better term. But on the dirty channel, they just screamed. I don't like PRS' because of the necks and I still almost bought it, just for that sound.
Only other gripe is that it has a master volume, not seperate, but that's minor.

For what it's worth, Dunlop Straplocks have yet to fail me or anyone I know, and they're pretty cheap.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Last edited by Pink Muse at Sep 24, 2010,
it's a great guitar for the price.

the stock electronics are fine, i always find that choice of amp and pedals is more of an influence on sound in any case. i don't feel any desire to change them. they give good sustain when everything is cranked up.

the mechanicals are fine, tuning stability is as good as on my 2 MIA strats, but then I'm not a heavy trem user.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
IMO, you won't find a better guitar than the PRS Custom 24 SE in that price range.

The pickups are very good for a mid-ranged price guitar. Better than MIM fenders and Epiphone LPs. They're also very versatile.

As other people have mentioned, excessive use of the trem does cause them to go slightly out of tune, but used sparingly you'll be okay.

The tuning machines are also good, but you might want to replace them with locking tuners, as it may help out the issue with the trem.

I saw someone in this thread say they don't like the necks. Personally, I love the necks on them. They feel very comfortable in my hands and the action is great.

I don't think you'll be disappointed if you buy one...unless you get one of the rare lemons out there. I have read VERY few bad reviews on these guitars.
Custom 24's pickups are fine, above average for stock pickups. You probably won't need to replace them unless you're looking for a specific type of sound, in which case aftermarket pup's are your best bet.

The overall quality of the hardware is high, it's also unlikely you will need to replace any of it unless you abuse the crap out of the guitar.

A great guitar if you have the $$$.
-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3