Page 1 of 2
Can you guys think of any? I'm enlisting in the Air Force soon, and I want to get trained in a job that will pay well once I get out of the service (I plan on still going to college, though).

Anyone have any ideas? Here's a list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Force_Specialty_Code

I'm looking at 'Cryptologic Linguist', but I'm not too sure on how to apply that one in the civilian world.

inb4: 'Pick a job you'll enjoy'. I'm considering that as well, but the money also matters.
A job in maintenance will assure a job in future. People who are able to work with engines on high-tech equipment will always be assured of a job for as for as I know...

Not to mention it is extremely fun to mess around with engines and tech
Quote by Snowblind 911

maybe it's because of your description, or the fact that it's 1:30am here, or both, i can't stop giggling.

Sometimes girls say that too...
I'm in the Air Force (Security Forces). I'd suggest looking into medical and engineering jobs. Communications is good as well as anything with a focus on electrical/computer stuff. Security Forces does open up a lot of doors but you'll such a lot of shit while you're in. It's not for everyone and people who just jump into Security Forces will make life difficult for us who really do the job. I had lots of offers for third party government contractors and private security corporations when I deployed. They pay well but the life expectancy is bad, lol.
Physician, Nurse, or medical technology jobs.

Off topic: Interesting statistic...a large percentage of female, civilian, helicopter pilots ultimately marry millionaires.
Look at IT jobs in the military. Also, avionics jobs are good. Hospital is another good field, although you have to be careful. My wife is a pharmacy technician in the Air Force and will retire soon - civilian pharmacy techs don't get paid all that well. As I already mentioned avionics jobs - they translate well into many other fields, some of which are not directly related to avionics. One example would be simulator technician. Avionics and Communications/Navigation (Comm/Nav) techs do fairly well in the commercial arena at large airports. Linguistics is another good field, but I'm sure it's pretty tough to make it through. Do you already know any foreign languages? A lot of companies hire linguists as translators, such as Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman and others. I'm not too familiar with Cryptologic Linguist, unless it has something to do with breaking codes. I'll have to look that one up.

Good choice on the Air Force. Also, good choice on thinking about how your job will translate to the civilian world. All too many go in with stupid jobs that do not translate well. They spend 20 years only to get out with nothing. The Navy, believe it or not, also has some really good schools.
Quote by GogglesVK
Can you guys think of any? I'm enlisting in the Air Force soon, and I want to get trained in a job that will pay well once I get out of the service (I plan on still going to college, though).

Anyone have any ideas? Here's a list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Force_Specialty_Code

I'm looking at 'Cryptologic Linguist', but I'm not too sure on how to apply that one in the civilian world.

inb4: 'Pick a job you'll enjoy'. I'm considering that as well, but the money also matters.

Let that one slide.
The real problem is most military jobs don't translate well to the civilian world. If they did I would be getting well paid to kill people for a living.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Doesn't the airforce have a band?? I know the marines and army do, and im just making a completely random guess that since your posting on UG you probably play guitar or something......so ya, airforce band?
Quote by stratman7
Helicopter pilot.

Need to be an officer to fly anything in the Air Force. Unlike the Army, which lets warrant officers fly choppers. I'm not even sure the Air Force has any choppers.
jobs that pay well as a civilian.... ZOMGNONE!
Survivor of:
Maryland Deathfest X
Maryland Deathfest XI
Maryland Deathfest XII
Quote by Jackal58
Let that one slide.
The real problem is most military jobs don't translate well to the civilian world. If they did I would be getting well paid to kill people for a living.

Professional hitman.
My brother is in the Air Force as an Air Traffic Controller, and he told me that they can make upwards of 100k a year. Shit sounds BORING, though.
Quote by GogglesVK
My brother is in the Air Force as an Air Traffic Controller, and he told me that they can make upwards of 100k a year. Shit sounds BORING, though.

Civilian ATC can exceed 100k depending on where you work. And no it's not boring steering 747s at each other and seeing which one deviates first.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by GogglesVK

Trust me, it's not boring. It's stressful. That's why they have very short work periods and make the kind of money they do.
I went in the AF as a computer programmer, got my degree and got out; been a defense contractor ever since, making some good money. Of course, you HAVE to apply yourself, and be on the top of your game every day. Slackers need not apply - maybe they can find you something in food services.
Quote by Uromastyx
I went in the AF as a computer programmer, got my degree and got out; been a defense contractor ever since, making some good money. Of course, you HAVE to apply yourself, and be on the top of your game every day. Slackers need not apply - maybe they can find you something in food services.

That's another one of the jobs I was looking at. What exactly do you do?

Quote by Jackal58
Civilian ATC can exceed 100k depending on where you work. And no it's not boring steering 747s at each other and seeing which one deviates first.

Quote by KG6_Steven
Trust me, it's not boring. It's stressful. That's why they have very short work periods and make the kind of money they do.

I can see your point.

On a side not: My brother is going to be a pastry chef once he gets out of the military. Complete 180 degree turn, job-wise.
Last edited by GogglesVK at Sep 23, 2010,
To become an army pilot do they train you form scratch? Or do they expect you t already having experience flying?
Quote by Steel8909
To become an army pilot do they train you form scratch? Or do they expect you t already having experience flying?

From scratch.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Steel8909

I'm pretty sure you have to have a college degree first. But they'd train you from scratch.

Someone else mentioned that there was an exception for warrant officers though.
Quote by GogglesVK

Unless you want the military to send you overseas to decode enemy transmissions for the rest of your life, I wouldn't recommend that.

...It does come with an assload of good money, though.
Quote by GogglesVK
I'm pretty sure you have to have a college degree first. But they'd train you from scratch.

You can enlist into the Army for flight school with out a degree. Most of the Army pilots are warrant officers. The Army only flies sling wings. No fixed wing AC.
Rotorhead school is at Ft. Rucker fucker Alabama.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by GogglesVK
On a side not: My brother is going to be a pastry chef once he gets out of the military. Complete 180 degree turn, job-wise.

being a chef in the military is actually a very viable way to receive culinary training that will get you a job as a line chef in a respectable restaurant. most restaurants wont even think about hiring you on if you dont have previous kitchen experience in a fast paced and 'proper' cooking establishment.

i feel like joining the military is more of a 'resume builder' than it is actual training for a specific civilian job with a few exceptions. im considering enlisting as an officer once i graduate from college this winter. i dont really have much work experience besides assembly line work a year and half ago, and i dont have a high degree of specialization from my degree. i figure that enlisting would be a great resume booster over what i have now.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
The last thing we need is more people who want to enlist for their own self-gain, that kind of defeats the purpose of "serving your country", doesn't it.
Rockabilly rules, Okay?
Quote by GogglesVK

Any degree? I'll have my uni business degree soon not sure if I want to settle down working in an office lol I've had too many random exciting summer jobs to settle down to something boring :p
Quote by Neal5189
The last thing we need is more people who want to enlist for their own self-gain, that kind of defeats the purpose of "serving your country", doesn't it.

uh, no?
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
Quote by Neal5189

Ya. Personal gain. What a criminal activity.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
No it's not criminal and theres nothing wrong with it. I just wish it would go back to how it used to be where if you wanted to enlist, it was because you felt very strongly about it and you were willing to endure hell. Now you can just join the Air Force and play xbox all day.
Rockabilly rules, Okay?
Quote by Neal5189
No it's not criminal and theres nothing wrong with it. I just wish it would go back to how it used to be where if you wanted to enlist, it was because you felt very strongly about it and you were willing to endure hell. Now you can just join the Air Force and play xbox all day.

i think you have a very romantic and unrealistic view of the past.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
Quote by Neal5189

I joined the army because McDonalds wasn't hiring anybody unless they had an MBA.
Makes me an opportunist eh?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
It's just that I have great respect for soldiers and Marines who enlisted during Vietnam... Now everyone who joins to sit at a desk is a hero...
Rockabilly rules, Okay?
Quote by Neal5189

The way I see it is:

They have something I want (money, benefits, training)

And I have something they want (someone who isn't retarded and can do some of the more technical jobs they have to offer)

There's nothing wrong with not wanting to be poor in the future.
Quote by Steel8909
Cuz Vietnam was such a great war

A statement only a pre-pubescent boy could make.
Rockabilly rules, Okay?
Quote by Neal5189
It's just that I have great respect for soldiers and Marines who enlisted during Vietnam... Now everyone who joins to sit at a desk is a hero...

Most were drafted. No lack of respect just think your ideals are skewed.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Neal5189

You didn't live through it either.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Neal5189

There are plenty of Vietnam vets who would say otherwise
Quote by CheezMeUp
A job in maintenance will assure a job in future. People who are able to work with engines on high-tech equipment will always be assured of a job for as for as I know...

Not to mention it is extremely fun to mess around with engines and tech

+1. Theres always going to be shit to fix, and if you can maintain and repair fighter jets, it'll be pretty easy for you to get trained to fix hondas.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Learn your ****ing facts. Over 60% volunteered for Vietnam. After learning what my uncle went through in Vietnam, and just reading about everything from the traning beforehand to the battles, it's hard not to respect what they did. "Cuz vietnam was such a great war". What the **** is that even supposed to mean? What the **** is a great war? War isn't supposed to great. The fact is people fought bravely for their country and they deserve respect for it. I don't even know why this turned into a debate, I just typed something quickly without thinking. There is obviously nothing wrong with having an MOS other than infantry, I just feel very strongly about the military.
Rockabilly rules, Okay?
Medic
Quote by edge11
yeah im not at gc dude, i dont live there.

||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----
Quote by Neal5189

just because someone has a desk-job during a time of peace, doesnt mean they arent going to get shipped out if we were to go into a full blown war. the fact that they have that job probably means its pretty essential to running military operations. not to mention there have always been non-combat jobs in the military. so really, its pretty commendable that someone would even enlist with the possibility of dying while on duty, regardless of what job they are given. a large majority of the population wouldnt even do that much.

seriously man, youre romanticizing the past. people werent too awful much different 50 or 100 years ago than they are today.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
Page 1 of 2