I have Reaper on my windows computer, and I've been using a cheap walmart mic to mess around and record things. I'm likely getting a mac in the next week or so for college purposes.

If I were wanting to make a home studio, where would u guys recommend starting?
Quote by Nomack
Next hendrix is like a a sidesplitting triumph of slapstick and scatology, a runaway moneymaker and budding franchise, the worst thing to happen to Kazakhstan since the Mongol hordes, and, a communist.

This is my sig!
Garage Band is a good program if you get a mac. Logic is even better if you want to go that route. Outside of that, the most basic set up that I would recommend would be to get an interface and a microphone.
All of our days are numbered
I’ve taken some comfort
In knowing the wave has crested
Knowing I don’t have to be an exception
My prime concern is picking a recording interface. What would you guys recommend for use with Garage band?
Quote by Nomack
Next hendrix is like a a sidesplitting triumph of slapstick and scatology, a runaway moneymaker and budding franchise, the worst thing to happen to Kazakhstan since the Mongol hordes, and, a communist.

This is my sig!
get an equivalent windows pc, and use the thousand dollars you save to buy a nice interface and a good mic
Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Quote by Truespin
you can't use a guitar to replace your lack of charm or social skills.

Worked for Malmsteen.
Quote by Josher.K
get an equivalent windows pc, and use the thousand dollars you save to buy a nice interface and a good mic

This...

And it depends what you're using the equipment for. if it's just Guitar and Vocals i recommend the M Audio Fast Track Pro. SM57 for mic'ing Guitar Amp (2 to 1 speaker ideally), a Rode NT1A for Vocals and Acoustic Guitars and an AKG 112 for the Bass Amp.

if you're planning on mic'ing up a drumkit, well thats a whole different story. You'd want an interface with a lot more preamps and a whole set of mics. Theres plenty of reading material on this site and others for Mic'ing drums.
If you only need two inputs and you are definitely getting a Mac then I highly recommend the Apogee Duet (if your Mac has Firewire). It sounds crystal clear and integrates tightly with Garageband and Logic, while also working with most any other programs. But on the downside it is really expensive for a two channel interface.

My drummer bought one before I got into recording but he had to sell it... A few months later I realized how nice it really was.

If you're going to be recording drums or full bands then I would get something with more input/output options and save up for nicer mics and room treatment.