I have been playing for five and a half years now. I have always thought I had intermediate skill my playing was just sloppy. I was going to upload a song video for the next Pit Guitar players contest. I figure I should play something easy, something I can manage. I'm going through a **** ton of tabs, realizing I am having a hard time playing ANY of them, even stuff some people can master in two months after they start playing. I play all the time, and it seems like all the money and practice time I have put into this thing have gone to waste. I feel like Im losing desire to play, but I love guitar and dont want to stop, but I dont want to do something I suck at either. What to do?
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
If you love doing it, why does it matter if you suck? That shouldn't detract you.

Some guys are horrible in the sack but that doesn't stop them from fucking. Ya know?
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
have you thought about getting the guitar to play you?
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Practice?

Discover new artists?

Take a break from your standard genre of music, and listen to say, electronica?

Listen to/Watch Paul Gilbert?

Get a new piece of gear?

^The above suggestions typically work for me. Not that I'm any type of good player, just saying.
Serious answer: who cares whether or not you can play something as long as YOU enjoy it. So what if you cant play other peoples songs; play your own songs instead. Try writing music. Now stop moping around and get over it.
if you like it and dont want to stop then just go at your own pace, enter contests and practice because you want to, not because you feel like you'll be a failure if you dont push yourself and rush at it. im a slow learner too, and it was 6 yrs before my playing actually started going somewhere, just remember that when you've been playing that long, and as long as i have (10 yrs) you realise its an instrument that is going to stick with you for life no matter what. maybe try writing some of your own music instead of learning other peoples?
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Practice?

Discover new artists?

Take a break from your standard genre of music, and listen to say, electronica?

Listen to/Watch Paul Gilbert?

Get a new piece of gear?

^The above suggestions typically work for me. Not that I'm any type of good player, just saying.

That will make him smash his SG, or it will work.
Practice.
Also, not everyone can learn at the same pace. I know people who started playing 2-3 years after I did and they can pretty much play anything I can play.

It's nothing to be worried about. Nothing new, either.
If you love guitar and you don't want to stop, then don't.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Some people are naturally talented, others take more time to develop. It took me about 2-3 years of playing before I could even consider myself a bass player.
You probably don't suck as bad as you think you do. When i started playing (about 2 and a half years ago) i couldn't even hold the guitar properly and now i can play songs that, if i'm honest, are fairly challenging. Despite that, i still think i'm terrible at guitar even though i'm probably exactly where i should be at this point. And if its something you enjoy there is no reason to give up
Appreciating Metal since 1998

R.I.P - Ronnie James Dio

1942-2010
Honestly? Get a teacher. It'll do you an amazing amount of good.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by damian_91
If you love guitar and you don't want to stop, then don't.

I know, sort of, where he is coming from. He may love the guitar, and love playing it, but when you have the constant thought in your head that "I suck at guitar" or you've been told that you "Suck" at guitar, that really just kills all want to play.

I went through that my sophomore year in high school when I was in guitar lab, I was constantly told I suck, it killed my desire to play, I stopped going to my lessons and everything, eventually I got angry enough one day that I smashed my guitar (Cheap Ibanez Gio starter guitar) and made a pretty big dent in the body.

It sucks to have those thoughts in your head, but you need to move past them. If you truly love playing the instrument, don't stop. it took me nearly a year to get back "Into" playing guitar, but once I did, I haven't stopped since. That was almost 3 years ago now. And at this point, I play for hours upon hours every single day.. And I love it. I don't ever see it going anywhere, I'm nothing more than a hobby guitarist, but who cares? It's a HOBBY. I do it because I enjoy it.
Quote by guylee
Yeah you do suck.

well, OP..

I guess you could always act like a douchebag on the internet to people whom you A) don't know. B) haven't heard play. and C) feel the need to take your insecurities and turn them into superficial, unimaginitive insults towards someone who is actually humble and seeking advice.

Or I guess you could keep giving it your best and not worry about what negatives, if any, people like this moron can say about your playing.
listen to more music you like. that inspires me to learn the songs if i really like them and i even feel proud of being able to play them, no matter how badly
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
If you love doing it, why does it matter if you suck? That shouldn't detract you.

Some guys are horrible in the sack but that doesn't stop them from fucking. Ya know?

Don't bring me into this.

If it matters to you that you're not fast enough, then get lessons to see what's wrong.
I used to smash my squier strat in frustration. then i got a les paul and started taking lessons.
my old guitar teacher, who was named best guitarist in seattle not too long ago, told me that i was seriously one of the best guitarists of gigging musicians in seattle. it did loads of help for my confidence. i started taking guitar more seriously and playing more challenging stuff. you need some encouragement bro.
If you feel like taking a break then go for it.

Take a few months off and come back to guitar, and then maybe you'll have a new love for it. It's easy to get bored of something after a few years, even if you love it. That's why people cheat on their spouses.

No just kidding don't cheat on your future wife because I said that. But seriously take a break from guitar, don't force yourself to play it if you don't want to. It'll still be there when you come back
Quote by Oroborous
If you feel like taking a break then go for it.

Take a few months off and come back to guitar, and then maybe you'll have a new love for it. It's easy to get bored of something after a few years, even if you love it. That's why people cheat on their spouses.

This is what I did. I still suck, but I feel like playing guitar once again.

Do yourself a favor and read ZeGuitarist's 'Ultimate Guide to Guitar' in the Lessons section of UG. Actually, all of the lessons there can be helpful.

I can't even play some of the easiest songs out there, and I've been playing for 3 years. The only song I know from start to finish is the acoustic version of Sunday by Bloc Party.

You don't suck, you just need direction for your learning.
Just keep practicing, bro.

I happen to have the exact same problem. I've been playing for maybe 2 years, but I'm still kinda shitty. The only thing I've noticed progressing is my creativity.
pracitce it took me 4 hyears to learn ohow to play a decent lick form simpme songs

btw *prertoed*
#25 for top 100 UGer of 2009
UG's 2nd Funniest UGer and 3rd most likely to be a Serial Killer of 2009, 2nd of 2011
i hate when people just say keep practicing, its an obvious thing and offers nothing new to the conversation.

I play guitar as well as bass, and i suck BADLY, but i dont care cuz its fun, its a hobby, i play for me and no one else.

remember those who cant play guitar play bass, thats why i have 5 of them.
Quote by Alucard817
i hate when people just say keep practicing, its an obvious thing and offers nothing new to the conversation.

I play guitar as well as bass, and i suck BADLY, but i dont care cuz its fun, its a hobby, i play for me and no one else.

remember those who cant play guitar play bass, thats why i have 5 of them.

Quote by Nexium
For a 10'er you certainly have found a good avatar.
I feel your pain brother.I've been playing for 18 years and i'm just starting to be able to come up with improvsed solos.Infact I just downloaded a mp3 to my profile that was my one shining moment.I just happend to be messing with a new recorder and was getting pissed at it and pressed record and thats what came out.But now I cant reproduce what I did.It really is frustrating but if you keep at it and play the same thing over and over and over.Eventually something will come out that will make you smile.Nomatter how slow your progress dont quit.Even if that one moment comes and goes there will be another. All those few moments will add up and it'll be worth it.And with some hard work maby in time your playing will be good all the time.
Everybody has a potential to be greater at something than they currently are unless you tell yourself that you don't. I just keep it in my head that I'm going to become an amazing guitarist eventually if I keep at it ^.^ 90% of the battle is mental.
I play guitar because I enjoy it. What gave you the notion that you suck at guitar? Just because it takes longer to learn a song? I think your problem is anxiety. You have what's in front of you and you panic to a degree and then feel the need to give up because of What you're telling yourself, and if you've been criticized about your playing by others, **** em. Do what makes you happy. Playing an instrument shouldn't have to feel like a chore or create stress.

You know what. Maybe you should take a break, just to get your bearings because this is obviously weighting over your head and is creating irrationality.

You'll pick up your guitar when you're ready, and when you're ready, you'll find what you need to make and learn what you want, at your own pace. Find influences, read stories, pursue art, and abstract processes. Give yourself some time. You've hung on for this long, you can keep going for more. Im sure of it.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by BananaMartyr
Everybody has a potential to be greater at something than they currently are unless you tell yourself that you don't. I just keep it in my head that I'm going to become an amazing guitarist eventually if I keep at it ^.^ 90% of the battle is mental.

^^ This.

You just have a lacking self-confidence mental block.
XBL Gamertag: SealCubs
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Exactly, I think I suck but I dont stop playing.

COs I love it, it brings joy to me.

Also, IN SOVIET RUSSIA, GUITAR SUCKS AT YOU!
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
Most people put a mental block in their heads about instruments because of some pre-concieved notion that music is a competition, it's not, and the sooner people realize that, the sooner it becomes easier to play and learn.

It's really that simple.
Quote by Nexium
For a 10'er you certainly have found a good avatar.
ive been playing for 10 years and find it hard to play other peoples music. i lose intrest after i learn the main riff in the song.plus i get discouraged as hell cause i dont use effects and cant get certain tones needed for a song. the only time im happy playing is when im writing or just jammin. doin covers just may not be for you. that doesnt make you a bad guitarist imo.
Get lessons bro.
❒ Taken ❒ Single ✔ Would like a sandwich

Vereor Deus

Quote by dann_blood
Branding!?!? THAT'S TOO PROGRESSIVE! I say bring back settlement payments in weights of lead and impalement upon wooden stakes!

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Oh! Sorry, I thought that was a braille name tag.
pick up a bass. i got so much better at guitar in the short time i played bass (3-4 months for highschool blues band)

then pick the guitar up again.
Quote by slafoo
Lol I love the fact you use the word majestic to describe titties... it's as if there are hundreds of titties majestically frollocking in a meadow somewhere *drifts off*