Hey all;

I'm upgrading some gear (have on order the Steinberg MR816X ) and will soon be selling a Delta 1010 - the rack mount one.

I was originally thinking I would get a certain price for it and was talking to a guy at a music store, who does know his stuff, and he said that I shouldn't expect to get hardly anything for it, as it is a PCI card and "nobody has computers with PCI slots anymore"

I realize that PCIe is the new architecture, but was surprised (and a bit suspicious) at the suggestion that there would be no demand for a PCI card these days - particularly one as good as the 1010. IIRC, PCI is faster than both FW and USB2. Given that, are audio people abandoning that technology wholesale anyways?

Do you have a PCI slot in your computer? If you were looking for an interface, would you consider a PCI card? I do notice that everyone talks about USB and FW interfaces here.

My impression is that he's taking the whole thing a bit far, but given his knowledge-ability otherwise, I need to recognize that he might be right.

Thanks!

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
That guy is correct in that new computers don't usually have PCI slots. Intel discontinued it on all their newest chipsets. That being said, it's only NEW stuff pretty much this year. Which means there are plenty of people out there who still have PCI. Your best off looking around on ebay to see what it's worth.
Quote by mydian
That guy is correct in that new computers don't usually have PCI slots. Intel discontinued it on all their newest chipsets. That being said, it's only NEW stuff pretty much this year. Which means there are plenty of people out there who still have PCI. Your best off looking around on ebay to see what it's worth.

That is incorrect, intel is only rumored to be dropping PCI support on their forthcoming Sandy Bridge architechture, which wouldn't be a bad move necessarily, although there hasn't been talk of amd doing it.... Anyway, PCI sound cards are not a bad thing, but a pci-e sound card would be a helluva lot faster.

...... do they even make pci-e soundcards for recording?.....
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
yeah was weird cause she liked us both but she loved him and for some reason she let me know beforehand.

i just wanted her poon and she wanted me to have her poon.

so i had myself some poon.
HD cards are available in PCI-e too. That being said though it is true that PCI is on the way out but man I had a Delta1010 and those are BEASTS. Absolutely destroys most interfaces under 1k for the price, rock solid, uber clean sounding and almost nonexistent latency (I had 0.7ms at some point) and consider this: an HD card with a 96i/o clocks in at about 0.5ms latency.
Honestly if Pro Tools M-Powered supported more than 1 interface, I would get
4 x Delta1010 and be absolutely SET.

Also forgot but RME also make PCI-e cards and those too have a great (the greatest?) rep for stability.

And the whole PCI support dropping thing is sorta true, the newer Mac Pros don't have PCI ports so I caused a HUGE fuss amongst HD users who had PCI cards but wanted to upgrade to the new Mac Pros because they had to change all their cards to PCI-e (BIG $$$).
Professional Tracking, Mixing and Mastering available.
Available for live sound, consultation and rig/ system designing in and around the Montreal, CA area.
PM for details.

Past clients/ credits include: The Catalyst, Click! and Alain Caron.
Last edited by miguelito2729 at Sep 24, 2010,
My computers MB has 3 PCI slots and I use 2 of them daily for my capture card and M-Audio 2496 interface.

I have been eyeing a new MB for a computer build and even that has a PCI port on it...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128423

For me that means getting rid of the old capture card and replacing it with a new one that plugs into a PCI-e port but I'm fine with that.
Okay... so it seems that it isn't totally dead yet, and most of us still do have PCI slots in our computers.

But if you were looking for an interface, would you be deterred by the fact that it was PCI?

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by axemanchris
Okay... so it seems that it isn't totally dead yet, and most of us still do have PCI slots in our computers.

But if you were looking for an interface, would you be deterred by the fact that it was PCI?

CT

Hell nah, would NOT be deterred at all. I just tracked most of Alain Caron's latest album with a PCI card (RME 9652 + Apogee Converters) and that thing was absolutely insanely ROCK SOLID. I rest my case. In fact I wish a lot more interface were PCI. OR PCI-e.
Professional Tracking, Mixing and Mastering available.
Available for live sound, consultation and rig/ system designing in and around the Montreal, CA area.
PM for details.

Past clients/ credits include: The Catalyst, Click! and Alain Caron.
I'd like to see an audio interface at PCIe X16. I mean, talk about zero latency.

And would I? Heck yes. I'm sticking with AMD. **** yeah legacy technologies!
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Sep 26, 2010,
Great! Thanks! I've posted it locally at $300 then. I'll let you know how it goes.

Based on what I've seen on eBay and from what you folks have said here, it sounds like I can ask what I thought I would be able to, rather than basically giving it away as suggested by the store guy.

CT

Quote by axemanchris
Great! Thanks! I've posted it locally at $300 then. I'll let you know how it goes.

Based on what I've seen on eBay and from what you folks have said here, it sounds like I can ask what I thought I would be able to, rather than basically giving it away as suggested by the store guy.

CT

Yeah, that whole "no one has PCI slots anymore" comment shows his lack of knowledge of the computer user community. A LOT of people are still using the last generation of intel and AMD's processors, and once the new sandy bridge architecture comes out next year, they *might* upgrade to the core i line of proc's. Honestly, even if intel does drop pci support next year, PCI slots will still be prevalent on 90% of computers for a few more years.
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
yeah was weird cause she liked us both but she loved him and for some reason she let me know beforehand.

i just wanted her poon and she wanted me to have her poon.

so i had myself some poon.
.... just like there are still loads of people running WinXP and PS2 mice, etc., I suppose.

As it turns out, I got my $300 for it, but have a sense that I wouldn't have easily gotten any more.

Thanks!

CT