I'm trying to build a piezo pickup as described on this web page.
http://home.earthlink.net/~erinys/contactmic.html

I was stupid enough to buy the wrong kind of cable (the kind you hook up home theaters with), and then I realized that the article didn't specify what kind of wire I needed. I really need to know what kind of wire I need. Could someone point me in the right direction with a link or something?
Gear:
Squier Strat
Cordoba 20TM-CE Acoustic Electric Tenor Uke
Bugera V22
I don't see why you couldn't use speaker wire, it is pretty thick gauge so soldering it to little connectors might be tough, but doable. There wouldn't be a shield though.

It says what kind of wire is used in the article by the way.

"24AWG "audio cable" 2 conductors plus shield part no. 278-514"
Last edited by earthwormjim at Sep 24, 2010,
Quote by earthwormjim
I don't see why you couldn't use speaker wire, it is pretty thick gauge so soldering it to little connectors might be tough, but doable. There wouldn't be a shield though.

It says what kind of wire is used in the article by the way.

"24AWG "audio cable" 2 conductors plus shield part no. 278-514"

Thanks man, I'll start searching for that.
Gear:
Squier Strat
Cordoba 20TM-CE Acoustic Electric Tenor Uke
Bugera V22
Quote by Sonis3
Thanks so much! I was going to get "Pickup Wire" from Allparts, but this is worlds cheaper!

When you're getting wires and stuff, try your best to avoid the guitar specialty shops (Allparts). Electronics are electronics, and those specialty shops charge a premium.

Small bear is great though, I've bought quite a few things from there before.
who the heck uses 24 gauge? i can barely stand using 22AWG when its cheaper stuff. i prefer a nice, hefty 20AWG wire myself, though it is overkill for anything in a guitar.
Quote by jof1029
who the heck uses 24 gauge? i can barely stand using 22AWG when its cheaper stuff. i prefer a nice, hefty 20AWG wire myself, though it is overkill for anything in a guitar.

It's shielded wire, it's usually thin gauge.