So im in a band with me on a single coil strat as lead guitarist and my friend on a les paul as rhythm. We were jamming on Voodoo Child today and the groove was hot and heavy but there was one problem.

When Jimi hits those 12th fret E minor licks u hear fat, overdriven wails and screams but when I do it, it sounds thin and small over the rest of the band. I'd love to hear any suggestions about...

*Pedals

*Amp settings (Fender Deville 4x10)

*guitar settings (American Standard SSS)

*techniques
Part of it is fuzz. Makes everything fat.

The other thing, this is a common trick, but I heard of it through Gilmour- for most of his solos, he switches to the neck pickup for his fat leads. Not sure if Jimi did or not, but it's worth trying.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Jimi definately used his neck pickup. Most of the time, I believe. Set it to there and mess with your tone control. Also, make sure you have enough mids.
Quote by Trowzaa
I can't look at anything starting with BB and not thinking big busty.
Big Busty Queefing.
try the neck, but definitely also try the neck and middle, and play around with the volume and tone knobs
yeah neck is the key......drive that amp up to get the nitty gritty tones and go to town
1979 Fender Telecaster
Vox Valvetronix 30w
Dunlop Wah
Digitech Flanger
Brian May Red Special Pedal
Like they said, definitely neck pickup. Amp tone is a far bigger factor of tone than any guitar parts too. Deville should be decent though. Make sure you have

bass: mid way or so
mid: less than mid way, too much gets boxy and honky sounding
treble: just enough to not be muddy. too much will thin it out

Hopefully all these comment helped some.
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker
Play some of your phrases lower on the neck. It will thicken up the sound for free. Try adding a few double stops and don't kill the string with your picking hand. If you mellow out the picking hand, you can somewhat mellow the tone too.

Roll the tone knob down a touch too.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Hendrix didn't use one... but...
Ibanez Tube Screamer.
Gotta finish my work, then play some grooves, so I can turn my room into a house of blues...
Well, Jimi used three 100-watt Marshall full stacks so his sound was certain to be epic (the fact that he was Jimi Hendrix helped a lot, too). A bit of delay should fatten up your sound, as would a BBE Sonic Maximizer:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/BBE-Sonic-Stomp-Sonic-Maximizer-Guitar-Effects-Pedal?sku=424026
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
as far as the amp settings go, the suggestions are fine. when I play voodoo child I use a crybaby and the exact same settings as posted above. plus a little delay. try and listen to the song loud and see where he uses the wah on the highs and lows (wah wah sound) and how the notes correspond. Try and mess around with your pedal settings also to match the sound on the song. to me when the pedal is up, it makes it sound more fat, like the part of the song at :30 to :32 when he bends the b string at the 10th fret and hits the 8th right after to end the intro. or you can always use the lower strings more to play it. wont sound as thin.
LTD Deluxe H1001Fr STBC
Modded Fender Stratocaster HSS mexican
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II
Takamine G340SC Acoustic
Line 6 Spider III 75w
Carvin Legacy 2
Dunlop 535Q crybaby wah
Whirlwind A/B Selector
I don't tend to play Hendrix a lot, but since I'm cheap. I'd just up Distortion.
Killing is my business...and business is not good
Most of the above is good advice. In addition, I'd say boosting the mids on your amp. Mids help you cut through; they add more presence. If your amps EQ isn't doing enough for you, you could invest in an EQ pedal which would almost certainly help.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Neck pickup and a good OD pedal will do your solos a world of good, TS9 or the 808 being the standard
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
one more thing. I was experimenting with keeping the volume knob low for rhythm and then when I want to cut through the mix push it to ten. Any advice for this technique?
Quote by Excursions707
one more thing. I was experimenting with keeping the volume knob low for rhythm and then when I want to cut through the mix push it to ten. Any advice for this technique?

Less input volume will make it cleaner too, so you won't have as much overdrive as you will with the volume up. But if you have it lower, it should still sound good, then boost it up for a lead.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
How do you get that stereo wail on that one particular bend? If the guitar were speaking, it sounds like it would be running around in circles around you. Is that a wah or a variable phasor of some sort?
Quote by jpnyc
You are what they call a “rhythm guitarist”. While it's not as glamorous as playing lead you can still get laid. Especially if you can sing and play.

Beer is the solutions to the world's problems.

Cheese burgers and fried taters should fatten up those wimpy leads.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
TS...i play the same amp (well, 212 to be technical) and it seems like we have similar tastes in music. to get fatter hendrix-esque leads (as close as a mere mortal like me can attempt to), try experimenting with two overdrives at once. you'll have to adjust the settings on each using your ear as a guide, but i use this to fatten everything up when jamming on something hendrix-like.

typically i switch between one or the other....but both at the same time works for some situations
Main Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster and Stratocaster
Dr. Z Maz 18 Jr. NR, Vintage Fender Twin Reverb (early SF)
Effects from Wampler, Keeley, and others

Session Guitarist out of Pittsburgh
The 4th position was a big help to Jimi's lead tone, to get that single coil humbucker effect, which is why so many people were fascinated by his tone, I think back then Fender only had 3 way selector switch for the Strats, I heard he managed to get the tone by sticking a toothpick in between the selector switch to make it stick so it uses two pickups instead of one.

But the 4th position does help alot, it's thicker while still holding it's highs. A TS9 boost would help as well.
You could grab a graphic EQ and boost some select frequencies. Not too much in the lower mids, though, since those can get muddy very quickly, particularly around 400Hz.
I would suggest that you incorporate more double stops in your lead playing.

ron666
Quote by Excursions707
So im in a band with me on a single coil strat as lead guitarist and my friend on a les paul as rhythm. We were jamming on Voodoo Child today and the groove was hot and heavy but there was one problem.

When Jimi hits those 12th fret E minor licks u hear fat, overdriven wails and screams but when I do it, it sounds thin and small over the rest of the band. I'd love to hear any suggestions about...

*Pedals

*Amp settings (Fender Deville 4x10)

*guitar settings (American Standard SSS)

*techniques

Call my crazy but it would be much easier for everyone to give you advice if you included what your amp settings are and what pedals (if any) you're using, and what their settings are too.
UG FORUM
Your 21st Century Ant Farm
Corroborating Sturgeon's Law Since 2003
Quote by ethan_hanus
Prolly cause nobody uses those with their guitars, makes the tone sound...well, compressed.

Dave Gilmour. Comfortably Numb. One of the most famous solos ever.
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.