Hello guys.

I'm having this problem for a long time now so I'd appreciate it if you could help me. My palm mute sounds bad, the sound of the pick touching the chords is too loud. See me and listen here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swHvCOBG41E . Does it matter the fact that I connect straight to the amp? Or the fact that I don't use any effects? That result is that I have to turn the guitar volume very low so that this annoying sound isn' t loud...
Last edited by Greendaz at Oct 2, 2010,
try turning your gain down a little
COOLEST GUITAR EVER!
Peavey: Vypyr 15W
ESP: H-1001
Guitar Rig 5 with Kontrol
Eleven rack
Fender blues Jr III
Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro
Daredevil 77 IC Op-Amp Fuzz
also try turning your pick to where its more parallel with the string and maybe try muting a little bit more
play with your EQ settings more. unfortunately your tone sounds okay right now, so your adjustments to fix this problem might have to compromise your tone a little.

this isn't exactly a solution, but have you tried using different picks?
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE

actually this could be a big factor.

thin picks will rub up against the string causing that scratching noise

so try using some thicker picks
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
play with your EQ settings more. unfortunately your tone sounds okay right now, so your adjustments to fix this problem might have to compromise your tone a little.

this is exactly what i was going to ask but yeah like ^he said try a thick pick and see what happens. the thinners ones always make it sound scratchy in my experience.
Thank you all guys for your immediate respond. I tried changing the settings : less gain makes no difference - I hate playing with no full distortion besides... Mid, bass etc. neither... It's a pity. I bought some thicker picks today to see if that works. Also playing near the bridge is no solution, I play punk rock for years but still can't find out how to solve this...
I also tried different picks, thicker or thiner, no difference... Can someone upload himself playing to hear how it sould sound?
Hey man I can't upload my self playing but I mean you should listen to pretty much any metalica song they use palm muting alot..... another technique is to use as few strings as possible so the palm muting is quicker, it also makes it easier to control the mute.... so if you are using a power chord, try making it only two strings instead for example:

instead of
D|-7-
A|-7-
E|-5-

Play
D|---
A|-7-
E|-5-

this may help you gain better control of the technique so you can add more strings.... I find that it is much more difficult to try to plam mute four, five, or six strings than just two or three.... so if your given a major chord like this:

e|-5-
B|-5-
G|-6-
D|-7-
A|-7-
E|-5-

Play
D|-2-
A|-4-
E|-5-

i dunno maybe that could help....
It's probably the angle that your pick is hitting the string and how much of your pick you're putting into your attack. If you use just the tip and hold the pick more parallel to the string, you'll get much less pick noise. If you angle the pick and really dig in then you'll get some scratch. Now what's important is learning when to use both approaches to vary your sound.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Check that your pick angle is parallel to the strings, also, it may be the positioning of your hand directly over the pickup. Perhaps you are palm muting so hard that the sound of the picking is overwhelming the amount of noise your strings are producing. And last but not least, it could just be an issue related to stratocasters that I am not aware of, perhaps a different pickup position would work better?
Is it possible that the quality of the amp is responsible for this? It's a cheap one...
I haven't bothered to watch the video, not that I have X-ray vision to see behind your hand anyway, but... maybe it's the way you palm mute? Maybe you're putting the palm of your picking hand too far forward. Putting it further forward will make the palm muted notes way more percussive and often don't ring out for long. Try moving your hand back a bit more?
No guys I've tried all these, it's surely nothing to do with how close to the bridge I play, that's why I ask if it's something to do with the amp quality? Does your palm mute sound with no noise?
[quote="Windwaker ... it could just be an issue related to stratocasters ...[/QUOTE"]

Never thought of that, it could be or the amp?
I decided to watch it, and I'm afraid all I can say is it is either the way you hit the string, or it's your guitar and amp (if it affects your normal playing too, it could be the cable). I get that sound when I go full gain with a full-on metal tone with active pickups, so I'm really not sure. All I can suggest is to EQ the highs down. Other than that, depending on how cheap your amp is... it could be that.

Take your guitar to a store and plug into some of the amps and see if the trouble persists.
-If it doesn't, the problem isn't your guitar.
-If you use your own cable in store and there's no problem, your cable nor your guitar are the problem.
-If you use your own cable and there is a problem, try a store cable to determine if it's the guitar or cable.
-If it's not your guitar then... it's your amp or how you EQ it or how you play.
Quote by Greendaz
Is it possible that the quality of the amp is responsible for this? It's a cheap one...

Definitely, cheaper ones are usually a bit scratchier and thinner sounding, also, single-coils often sound a bit harsh with lots of gain.
I like to play with dunlop big stubby 2-3mm, there thick, quite round and can glide through the strings and helps me play The Count of Tuscany to Master Of Puppets esque type fast string changing riffin. like
A|---2---3---4 |
E|01-01-01---|
OR

D|9------9--9-9-------9--9-9--------|
A|7------7--7-7-------7--7-7--------|
E|-0-0-0--0-0--0-0-0--0-0--0-0-0|
(sorry, my first attempt at tabbed stuff)

Yeah, I have the same scratchy problem, but I like it, and I can easily EQ it out, don't know about you though, I just turn the tone knob a little more counter clockwise on my satchurator and it fixes it.
Random question:

If I play through Line 6's, do you think that may be a potential reason to me having scratching sounds as well when I palm mute?
: )
It's possible that your amp is contributing. It could also be the type of distortion pedal you have in front of your amp if you are using one. The only way to know is to go out and play a bunch of different guitars, amps, and use different picks to isolate which element it is, or if it is your own technique.
Guys, I changed the video with a more close up. In case I do something wrong, I didn't get the chance to go to a store to try a different amp..
Since not much else seems to be working at this point, did you try moving your pick up back a bit? about a year back when i put a new pick up in i had a similar issue and just backed the pickup off a bit and it killed most of that scratchy sound i was picking up while palm muting
Quote by seraph-occidio
... just backed the pickup off a bit ...

Could you explain exacly what you mean?
The point is that in another forum they told me that '...that is the way it should sound', maybe I've all these pennywise, etc sounds in my mind where there is a lot of computer proccessing in the sound and I ask too much. But, don't you find it annoying? Is that how your palm mute sounds?
hey man, the problem is your amp. I saw a kid at a guitar store have the exact same problem as you, he was playing through a 10 watt ashton and kept complaining about the sound. Putting a pedal effect will still give similar result because of the quality of the amp, the kid tried it with a boss metal zone and it still had that problem.
Quote by Axle1
hey man, the problem is your amp. I saw a kid at a guitar store have the exact same problem as you, he was playing through a 10 watt ashton and kept complaining about the sound. Putting a pedal effect will still give similar result because of the quality of the amp, the kid tried it with a boss metal zone and it still had that problem.

Ew. The Metal Zone. Someone I knew had this horrible Peavey Rage amp thing and he put a Metal Zone through it. He got a similar sound.
That is 1 of 2 things. The pick is scraping the string a little, so that is a technique thing. It could also be the material the pick is made from. The Ultex sharp picks I have seem to click a lot more than Tortex of the same thickness. Black Jazz III's are the smoothest not so clicky picks I have used so far so I keep all those laying around.

That click isn't really a bad thing. Go listen to some Metallica plenty of songs have it.. sounds heavy.
Last edited by mydian at Oct 7, 2010,
Quote by rickyj
so try some thicker pricks

Fix'd
Quote by Athabasca
My ex did the same. Cheated on me and then acted like I'd given her sister a facial. Women are retarded.