I've only seen people get Metal tones with a boost, is it possible to go into Thrashy mayyybe Prog Metal territory?
I was really thinking about getting the half stack after seeing it on MF for only $500
I really like the other tones it can get, even without a Clean channel rolling back the gain can give it a great clean tone, and I like the bit of Led Zeppelin-ish tone I could get.
Last edited by Ironic Maiden at Sep 24, 2010,
It won't get much saturation on its own.

Disclaimer: this opinion is based on the clips by MatrixClaw.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by Ironic Maiden
I've only seen people get Metal tones with a boost, is it possible to go into Thrashy mayyybe Prog Metal territory?
I was really thinking about getting the half stack after seeing it on MF for only $500
I really like the other tones it can get, even without a Clean channel rolling back the gain can give it a great clean tone, and I like the bit of Led Zeppelin-ish tone I could get.

Yes it can, but I still would suggest getting an OD pedal.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
got mine today, not doing metal well without a boost..

no saturation, bit flabby.

shutup min.
mojostompboxes.com
It actually does saturate well with the right cab. I'll have to do a video or something of mine, cause with the Emperor cab it sounds pretty beastly, granted - not everyone has an Emperor cab... so it probably won't do metal by itself for most people

My clip is not the greatest representation of the tone I'm hearing in the room, not by a long shot. Maybe I'll reamp it again and dual mic it, might get rid of some of the boxiness of the 1x12 when it's recorded
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
It actually does saturate well with the right cab. I'll have to do a video or something of mine, cause with the Emperor cab it sounds pretty beastly, granted - not everyone has an Emperor cab... so it probably won't do metal by itself for most people

My clip is not the greatest representation of the tone I'm hearing in the room, not by a long shot. Maybe I'll reamp it again and dual mic it, might get rid of some of the boxiness of the 1x12 when it's recorded
Well damn, if I get it, I would HAVE to just get it with the cab it usually comes with.
But just a little side note, it doesn't need to get a PERFECT Metal tone, it just seems maybe this, the Blackstar HT-5 or the Vypyr are like the only way to go.
I considered MAYBE a Roland Cube
With a boost, I'm sure you could get there and have it sound better than the HT-5 or Vypyr, but through my Mesa cab it just doesn't sound metal at all. Through the Emperor, it brings teh br00tz.

Weird, I know
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
With a boost, I'm sure you could get there and have it sound better than the HT-5 or Vypyr, but through my Mesa cab it just doesn't sound metal at all. Through the Emperor, it brings teh br00tz.

Weird, I know

that brings me to a tough decision, just save up to get a new boost for teh br00tz or just get a different amp... Hmmm...
Getting the boost means I may have to wait a BIT longer
Quote by Ironic Maiden

that brings me to a tough decision, just save up to get a new boost for teh br00tz or just get a different amp... Hmmm...
Getting the boost means I may have to wait a BIT longer

I say just do eet!

I've seen you post plenty of threads here for awhile now about which amp to get, and you seem pretty indecisive.

You'll end up saving up a bit more for what you were going to get, then get suggested something else and told to save a bit more, so on and so forth.

Not one amp out there is going to have every single feature in it for you.

My suggestion: JCA20c < On sale on MF for $299usd. + Used Ibanez TS9. $70~usd.

That way you can get that frontman out of there and enjoy some decent toanz.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
I say just do eet!

I've seen you post plenty of threads here for awhile now about which amp to get, and you seem pretty indecisive.

You'll end up saving up a bit more for what you were going to get, then get suggested something else and told to save a bit more, so on and so forth.

Not one amp out there is going to have every single feature in it for you.

My suggestion: JCA20c < On sale on MF for $299usd. + Used Ibanez TS9. $70~usd.

That way you can get that frontman out of there and enjoy some decent toanz.
I actually considered taking a few minutes to make an extremely thorough thread on an amp, however a few people were giving me hateful glances over my many threads.
Though I do apologize, in my defense it is pretty effing hard to decide on an amp, given that there is a shitload of amps out there
I dunno about thrash metal. It excels at rock tones, and it doesn't have that "metallic" quality that a lot of high gain amps tend to have. Even with the gain on full and boosted bass and treble (mids on about 4, I didn't want to scoop too much) it sounded more Ozzy and Iron Maiden than Metallica.

I hope that makes sense.
Quote by sashki
I dunno about thrash metal. It excels at rock tones, and it doesn't have that "metallic" quality that a lot of high gain amps tend to have. Even with the gain on full and boosted bass and treble (mids on about 4, I didn't want to scoop too much) it sounded more Ozzy and Iron Maiden than Metallica.

I hope that makes sense.
That's why I might get like a distortion pedal or something.