I've never had this problem before.

When I play the song, I hear a load of clipping but it doesn't peak on the meters anywhere. If I play the individual tracks, I don't hear anything. They sound fine.
It's mainly the vocals and the music. The music alone doesn't clip at all. Same for the vocals alone. When I put them together, it appears to not be clipping but I still hear it.

I'm confused. Anyone know what's up?
Have you levelled everything correctly?

I sometimes have the same problems when I haven't levelled or normalised the whole thing properly.
I ran into hearing clipping with my new FP10 monitor wiring last month but it turns out the levels were higher on the FP10s line outs so the clipping was just on my monitors, not in the audio itself.......so be sure to rule that out by playing back on another system if ya can.

Also be sure to keep an eye on the master and that all tracks are routed to it in the end...if the master goes into red its clipping...ideally you want to stay out of yellow but you can bounce into it every now and then on occasion.
Thanks. I'll do a double-check on all that.

edit: tried a few things. still clipping. :\
Last edited by TechnicolorType at Sep 24, 2010,
Is it possible you're clipping plug-ins on the master fader, before the final output of the meter? That way you wouldn't see anything, but would hear the problem.

Try lowering the individual track levels overall (either by grouping them all to retain the balance, or putting them into aux groups and lowering those if you need to readjust things) and see if the clipping becomes quieter and eventually goes away.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
I'm using no plug-ins. All levels, individual tracks and master show it as well under clipping.
I honestly don't know what putting them into aux groups means.
Are you sure your not clipping the mic itself? I've had problems where the mic will clip long before it gets over 0Db.

Also, if you have too many tracks, you'll get a sonic information overload in you DAW and it'll cause clipping, cause there are to many of the same frequencies conflicting with each other, or your soundcard just can't handle that amount of sonic information.

Could you give us a clip of it so we can hear exactly what's going on?
I'm positive the mic isn't clipping because the audio files sound perfectly fine by themself and I only hear clipping when they're played together.

I only have four tracks. Only three play at once, although there are multiple things going on in each, like a few vocals tracks meshed into one and stuff.

Is it possible my audio settings could cause this?
I'm using Adobe Audition 3. Normally I'd have an asio driver set, but lately it hasn't been working and I've had some Audition default driver thing set.
Quote by TechnicolorType
I'm positive the mic isn't clipping because the audio files sound perfectly fine by themself and I only hear clipping when they're played together.

I only have four tracks. Only three play at once, although there are multiple things going on in each, like a few vocals tracks meshed into one and stuff.

Is it possible my audio settings could cause this?
I'm using Adobe Audition 3. Normally I'd have an asio driver set, but lately it hasn't been working and I've had some Audition default driver thing set.

It's possible, I know my Asio driver likes to crash when I have a lot of things going on and specifically if I have a Master Limiter on the mater mix.

Idk what computer your using, but the DirectSound driver seems to do rather well, but has some latency.

You could also try high and low passing the tracks to see if you can cut down on the sonic information.
It's probably your mic.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I'm going with the thought that it could be the computer choking up under many track playback at one time.....the mic isn't the issue if he can record and play back with it one track without any issue...
Alright. I think I solved it.
Something about the file types being different was causing some clipping. I tried another way and they played fine.

Thanks for the responses everyone.
Last edited by TechnicolorType at Sep 25, 2010,