So I made a ordering error with pickups for my Ibanez RG3. Long story short I now have a set of Blackouts and a DiMarzio CL/LF set to choose from. The RG3 is a fixed bridge basswood body with a quilted maple cap(not sure how thick) and a bolt on maple neck/rosewood fretboard. I have a killer tube amp, attempt to play most styles or Rock short of all out Metal, and will be taking this guitar to Afghanistan with some sort of practice amp(more than likely a SS modeler) What would you guys go with?
Gear-
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000 VB
Epiphone Negative G-400 SG
Jackson Dinky
Custom Explorer
Custom V(being built)
CEC Amplification Suckerpunch 15
Catalinbread DLS v2
Humphrey Audio Slo/Diezel mod MT-2
Monsterpiece NPN/Classic
Personally, the DiMarzio set, because I'm not really keen on active pickups. But your tastes may be different. Have you at least heard either set in action?
BO's yes, DZ's no,
Gear-
Jackson Dinky
Custom Explorer
Custom V(being built)
Catalinbread DLS v2
Monsterpiece NPN/Classic
need some help guys so I can sell one of the sets. Thank You
Gear-
Jackson Dinky
Custom Explorer
Custom V(being built)
Catalinbread DLS v2
Monsterpiece NPN/Classic
I have a Dimarzio PAF in the bridge of a basswood guitar and it sounds pretty good. I am going to be getting a Tone Zone pretty soon to go in the bridge. I personally like the DiMarzios in basswood guitars.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
Passive pick-ups generally sound better through a solid state amp, at least over than actives.

I personally don't like Dimarzio's weaker pick-ups - like the PAF's - but that's just me, and I haven't actually tried the ones you've bought.

Can you not wire them both up quickly to see which one you prefer?
Quote by AngryGoldfish
Passive pick-ups generally sound better through a solid state amp, at least over than actives.

I personally don't like Dimarzio's weaker pick-ups - like the PAF's - but that's just me, and I haven't actually tried the ones you've bought.

Can you not wire them both up quickly to see which one you prefer?

AG,
It is wired with Passives now doesnt an active swap require a complete re-wire? I am not that handy with a soldering iron either. I have read good things on both so I am not sure what to go with, I have a PAF loaded and Active loaded guitar, so the DZ's might fill that gap. I am just not sure. Thanks for the advice so far UG
Gear-
Jackson Dinky
Custom Explorer
Custom V(being built)
Catalinbread DLS v2
Monsterpiece NPN/Classic
Oh yeah that's right, the wiring will need to be different.

edit: sorry I couldn't really be of very much help.
You'll need to replace the pots, fo sho. Blackouts need 25K pots. Seymour Duncan didn't provide any?

Also another thing to consider is convenience of install. Does your guitar have room for a battery in the control cavity? Would you consider is a hassle to have to unscrew the cover ever time to change the battery (granted, with proper use the battery can last for a good while)? Usually active equipped guitars have a convenient battery shelf that makes for quick changing.

I vote Dimarzio, myself.
Thanks guys DiMarzios it is
Gear-
Jackson Dinky
Custom Explorer
Custom V(being built)
Catalinbread DLS v2
Monsterpiece NPN/Classic