I recently re-built an old battered Trace Elliot combo (pretty vintage one), which if you head over to HERE , you'll be able to see.

Whilst it was a fun project, after building it up, it gives a really nice tone, but with one problem. When using it in a band setting, it doesn't cut through the drums and guitars as much as my other Trace Elliot (newer) combo does.

Even if i turn the vintage combo up all the way, its pretty loud, but it still really doesnt have that "cut" that i can distinguish through the mix, when everyone else is playing.

Any suggestions or ideas for this? If you need more info to help you help me, then I'll do my best to provide it!

Cheers
Few questions...

What bass are you using? And if it has two pickups, which pickup do you favour? (if either)

What sort of EQ settings are you dialing in, and are they the same as the ones you use on the more modern ones?

And finally, what sort of music are you playing, how many guitarists do you have, and what style do you use to play? (Pick, fingers, etc).
Before i answer, I'll say that I'm using the same bass(es) through both of my Trace combos, and the newer one is absolutely fine with cutting. So:

Bass is a Gould jazz bass copy, cheap but has a nice sound to it, for me. I usually dial back the volume of the neck pickup to about 7, with the bridge pickup on full, and the tone at about 8/9.

The eq band settings on the amp are pretty much as-is pictured on the build thread. in a sort of "^" shape, if that makes sense?

Both amps are set up with the same EQ settings also, in that "^" shape to the 7/12 band eq (cant remember which).

Playing pop-rock, youmeatsix/paramore kinda music, and always with a plectrum.

Anything else?
Quote by Instrumania
Before i answer, I'll say that I'm using the same bass(es) through both of my Trace combos, and the newer one is absolutely fine with cutting. So:

Bass is a Gould jazz bass copy, cheap but has a nice sound to it, for me. I usually dial back the volume of the neck pickup to about 7, with the bridge pickup on full, and the tone at about 8/9.

The eq band settings on the amp are pretty much as-is pictured on the build thread. in a sort of "^" shape, if that makes sense?

Both amps are set up with the same EQ settings also, in that "^" shape to the 7/12 band eq (cant remember which).

Playing pop-rock, youmeatsix/paramore kinda music, and always with a plectrum.

Anything else?

I'd recommend trying out some different EQ settings. I had a similar issue a while ago where I was struggling to cut through, but with some tweaking to my EQ and playing style I cut through without issue now.

I also play with a Jazz bass, and for me, the bridge pickup was a definite helper to cutting through, so you've got the right idea with that. Try playing right over the bridge pickup too. My experiences might not be entirely useful to you given that I play finger style predominantly, but hopefully I can help you a bit.

I've attempted to draw out how my EQ settings look for you (this is on an 11-band) but I did it in paint so it looks pretty bad...

Now obviously I'm not suggesting you just copy my settings, because what works for one person doesn't work for another, but I'd recommend trying something along those lines and tweaking it from their to suit you.

From experience, just boosting the mids isn't a great way to cut through; although it does depend a lot on the EQ settings used by your guitarists.

As to why you cut with one amp but not the other, I can't really help you. It's quite possibly got something to do with the drivers in the cabs.
What equipment is your band using? Is your drummer overly loud? 150W isn't really ideal for band use if you really want to cut through.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Drummer uses a Pearl Forum kit, both guitars using 150watt Line 6 Spider3&4 combos.
Like I said, the other (newer) trace combo is pretty much the same (150w) but that cuts through like you wouldnt believe! So I want the same out of the old one too.

Ziphoblat: cheers for that, I'll give it a go later on. My playing really is DIRECTLY over the bridge pickup, as sometimes when I'm a bit ragged with picking, you can hear the "click" of the plectrum tapping the pickup. As you can tell, i like my playing quite attack minded, so I've tried everything I can think of to get the old amp to the same sound as the newer one, basically.

I'll have a look at creating more of a dip in the mids, put the bass slightly lower than the treble then (on the EQ band). The newer amp, when I received it after buying it second hand, arrived with the EQ in the "^" shape, and I liked it, so I left it, simply.

Bit more twiddling around then