Hello.

For those who don't have time to read (it's about bends and the higher strings you get in contact with while doing the bend):"do you guys just let them slide on the fingerboard and use better muting on the raising part of the bend or you still use the fingertip, but you adjust a little the fingers and press harder ? It is really bugging me "

(you can scroll down the page to my update post (the 4th))

I recently gone to a lower action (not insane lower action), which was set up by at a shop. Previously the strings were a little higher and had a little curvature (the middle ones were a little higher than those on the extremes).

Now I have problems bending, mostly on the thin E string. The other strings just seem to slide off the fingertip into the fretboard and sounds like shit, especially after I get a little sweaty. Just as a side note, I have the same problem on the low E string, but here I don't even have I choice.. how am I supposed to bend downwards ??

Also, how does jp, satriani, gilbert, etc do it ? My action is not that low, but maybe it's something similar..
Last edited by defiler56 at Sep 25, 2010,
It's best to use the fingernail of your fretting finger and push the other string(s) out of the way as you bend, almost getting `underneath' the other string with your fingernail.

Does that help?
Quote by willemhdb
It's best to use the fingernail of your fretting finger and push the other string(s) out of the way as you bend, almost getting `underneath' the other string with your fingernail.

Does that help?

I tried this when I first learned to bend, but didn't feel comfortable so I went with fingertips.. I just can't believe that bends suck now.. I'll have to rework my technique, I think I'll still use the fingertips, thanks anyway

Another question.. on the B and E strings, I play very very slanted (60-70 degrees). The problem is that the attack seems weak, especially at higher speeds (not shredding, but very close) . I play with a normal 1 mm plectrum, should I switch to a 1 mm pointy one ? I heard it helps.. Anyone into fast picking / shredding can shed some light ?
Last edited by defiler56 at Sep 25, 2010,
UPDATE: It seems that the only way I can do it is just do something like a "digging motion" and get the other strings on top of my fingertips while I'm starting the bend. It works, but I'll have to rework every friggin' solo using this technique which can take a while.. and I was getting pretty fast

The fingernail trick doesn't work for me because they just slip very easy off my finger in the other direction and can actually hurt my fingernail (the base).

So, by now I'm completely confused.. Is the digging motion the answer ? And if after some years, I decide to buy a insanely low action guitar (e.g. Ibanez), would this still work ? Someone must have answers to these questions.. please I'm serious about practicing and I want to practice the correct thing.. I hated the few occasions when I had to rework my technique.