1234, 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, 1-3, 1-4, 2-4, 1324, 2413, 4231... On any string, watch for sync of both picking and fretting hand...
really its that simple?
what about for chords?
sometimes when i have to change to a complicated chord fast, my fingers need to be placed seperately into theyre positions, and so they they dont make it in time. is there a way to train that?
Take all the 1-2-3-4 permutations you know and play them with strict leggato. I found it helped with independance and finger strenght as well. Also, playing strictly by position helps, for example when playing high on the neck, using you index, ring and pinky to play 1-3-4 patterns instead of using you middle and ring. As far as chords go, I would say practice the progression slowly and work your way up, since your fingers will eventually learn the shape and patterns through mucle memory. I don't know of any way to get faster and changing chords other than that.
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Last edited by Metalfan41 at Sep 24, 2010,
I know what you mean for the chord thing. I used to move my fingers like one at a time for barres. Since you should be moving all your fingers simutaneously when switching to a chord you find oddly shaped, I found that the best solution was to add the chord you were having trouble with to a simple progression and play very ****ing slow to a metronome. Eventually your fingers will know where to go without thinking
The chromatic-style exercises are what you need, but that's not all.

What you need to do is concentrate whilst doing them slowly, not just on the finger you're fretting with, but on the other fingers too. They need to be relaxed yet still, with as little sympathetic movement as possible.
404: Sig not found.
http://www.justinguitar.com/en/TE-000-Technique.php

Scroll down to: "The Three Essential Technique Lessons"

My practice starts with chromatic stuff for about 5-10 minutes, scales for another 5-10 minutes (just Major, Minor, and Pentatonic, and in several patterns), Justins 'spider' for maybe 5-10 minutes. Then I run through each one a couple of times real quick to cap it off. Then I'll run through chords (all of the open chords and bar chords), but those are pretty much second nature to me now so I don't spend a lot of time on them. I'd work on those for another 10 minutes if you are just starting out and need it. Finish it up with just playing songs or whatever you want for fun.

Do that 5-6 days a week for just 4 weeks, and you will be amazed how fast your fingers become independent and how much better you get.
oh.. one other thing
my guitar teacher told me that when I practice alternate picking, i should make the pick strokes harder and i should practice on an accoustic.
Do you guys commend?
From Justinguitar

5. Only when you can do a scale PERFECTLY 4 times consecutively (in a row) should you move the speed up.

only 4?

i'm not pleased untill i can do it for like 10 - 15 times
should i be less paranoid?
Quote by Freepower
Picking hard rocks. So does practising super seriously.

so u approve the hard pickstroeks then?
Quote by Ibarshall_X
oh.. one other thing
my guitar teacher told me that when I practice alternate picking, i should make the pick strokes harder and i should practice on an accoustic.
Do you guys commend?

Definately, if you can perfect things with really hard pick strokes, it makes getting faster easier... also an acoustic will typically be harder to fret than an electric, therefore making it much easier to play on electric after learnign a new riff on an acoustic... thats how i learn every new riff i work on....