Page 1 of 3
As you all may well know, I am not Scottish.

However, I am learning and get involved in this Scottish and partially British culture.

Although I am enjoying the boldness of the kilt, the taste of the haggis and the audacity of your very different accents, there is something which I have to, nay, I must (!) change in your ways: Fish and Chips.

It is not the fish or the potato in itself, but rather, the name.

Chips, should be fries.

Therefore, I hereby propose to change the traditional meal of Fish and Chips to Fish and Fries

People will not say "Aye, I'm goin' to the Chippie" nay, they shall say " Aye, I'm going to the Fishie".

It shall be a dificult to perform this admirable task but I have taken it onto myself to make this world a better, fry-friendly place.

Don't thank me, just pass it on.
He's trolling, very aptly done tho, place one americanism in british culture and watch everyone act tough with keyboards.
Check out my Tumblr
Quote by Victory2134
The world seemed like a better place when I didn't know what racism, genocide, and the internet was.
get your own culture to change!
GEAR:
Fender Classic Player Jaguar Special HH
Ibanez RGA-32
Peavey Vypyr 15
Line 6 Pod Studio GX + Pod Farm
Fries - Little strips of shit like the things sold in McDonalds.

Chips - Large chunks of potato, cut into strips, fried in oil. Best served with a large portion of Cod or some such, battered to perfection.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Quote by Conformist
He's trolling, very aptly done tho, place one americanism in british culture and watch everyone act tough with keyboards.

QFT

Quote by severed-metal
Come to think of it, my penis should've listened to more death metal.

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
I'm pretty sure Britain (amongst others, of course) colonised America. You would do well to remember where your roots lie.

Assuming you're actually from America. Some other guy said you were Amercanizing it so I'm assuming you are, I've never seen you here before so I take is word.
Quote by Duv
The only good thing about my MG30 was I was able to have it in my room for 5 years solely as a place to hide cigarettes and condoms.
Last edited by adstr123 at Sep 24, 2010,
Well shit, I was playing a game just yesterday in which you enter an alternate dimension where the UK becomes the 51st state of America, and there's a Fish and Fries shop there.

On-topic though: even without starting the whole "our version is right, your version is wrong" debate where both sides cry the same thing, it makes no sense to call it fries when the word "chip" over here is widely recognised as being what you call fries. There's no need to change it.

If you were setting up a fish and chip shop in the US however, maybe it would be necessary to change it to fish and fries.

You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.

Steam: | PSN: Zeroxxed | Twitter:
Last edited by Kilobyte at Sep 24, 2010,
Quote by adstr123
I'm pretty sure Britain (amongst others, of course) colonised America. You would do well to remember where your roots lie.

Assuming you're actually from America. Some other guy said you were Amercanizing it so I'm assuming you are, I've never seen you here before so I take is word.

I am German. And Portuguese.

Quote by metacarpi
Fries - Little strips of shit like the things sold in McDonalds.

Chips - Large chunks of potato, cut into strips, fried in oil. Best served with a large portion of Cod or some such, battered to perfection.

Potato + fried = fries.

I rest my case.
Quote by Philip_pepper
Potato + fried = fries.

I rest my case.

They are chips out of a whole potato.

So chips.

Pointless really, both words have merit. Nobody will change their opinion. If I grew up in the US I'd call them fries.

You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.

Steam: | PSN: Zeroxxed | Twitter:
Quote by Ichikurosaki
what do you call chips when you bake them then, hm?

Bakes.

The fish is also fried, therefore I propose we call the fish fries too. Fries and Fries.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
what do you call chips when you bake them then, hm?

Bakes.

EDIT: FFFFFFUUUUUUUUU
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Quote by Philip_pepper
"Aye, I'm goin' to the Chippie"

This should say "Aye, ahm goin' tae the Chippie" if you want to properly write Scottish.

I'm going to violate you with some fries, then I'm going to violate you with some chips. Let's settle it that way. Actually, sod it, I'ma get you a whole godammn spud.
'Always outnumbed, never outgunned'
PSN + XBL: Jimsworthy

Charvel So-Cal ProMod Black
Ibanez RG350Dx W/ Duncans
Blackstar HT Stage 100
ASshdown 4x12
Morley George Lynch Dragon Wah II
Britain staunchly defends her linguistic values against the crushing tide of American colloquialism.
MAN CITY

De Montfort Uni
Quote by Gerard_xD
This should say "Aye, ahm goin' tae the Chippie" if you want to properly write Scottish.

Amateur. It's clearly: "Aye pal, a'm awa' 'ae 'ih chippy, ye kin?". Or at least "Aye, am gan 'ae 'ih Chippy".

Do keep up, children.
My name is Danny. Call me that.
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
Quote by Wikipedia
French fries (North American English, sometimes capitalized[1]), fries,[2] or French-fried potatoes are thin strips of deep-fried potato.[3] North Americans often refer to any elongated pieces of fried potatoes as fries, while in other parts of the world, most notably the United Kingdom, Australia, Ireland and New Zealand, long, thinly cut slices of fried potatoes are called fries to distinguish them from the thickly cut strips called chips.

I rest my case.

Edit:

The proper way of saying "I'm going to the chippy is"

"Aye pal, a'm awa' 'ae 'ih tae tha ****in' chippy, ye kin?".
Last edited by boreamor at Sep 24, 2010,
This is a fry:

I do not want a fry with my fish. That is just horrible and wrong.

And if it makes any difference, I was born and grew up in Canada, where chips are called fries, but I still call them chips, because it is the correct word for them.
(Also, if IIRC, it still also called fish and chips over there, as well as most likely in the states also, your argument is invalid).
Quote by robhc
This is a fry:

I do not want a fry with my fish. That is just horrible and wrong.

And if it makes any difference, I was born and grew up in Canada, where chips are called fries, but I still call them chips, because it is the correct word for them.
(Also, if IIRC, it still also called fish and chips over there, as well as most likely in the states also, your argument is invalid).

Chips are baked, not fried. The only acceptable time to call fries chips is when you are eating fish and chips, and that's just a tradition thing. The proper way to eat fries is as poutine anyways.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
Chips are baked, not fried. The only acceptable time to call fries chips is when you are eating fish and chips, and that's just a tradition thing. The proper way to eat fries is as poutine anyways.

Frozen chips are baked. REAL chips are fried. Forsrs. Make some home made chip and put those f*ckers in a deep fat fryer, shit is so cash.
Quote by SG_dave
Go **** yourself. It's been fish and chips since before you were born. Why the **** would anyone say "goin' darn fishie"?

Gonna Chippy works so well. "to chip 'ole" works even better.

****ing fries.

But Fishie is much more use-friendly.

Change it to "Fish 'ole".

Everybody happy.
Quote by Philip_pepper
But Fishie is much more use-friendly.

Change it to "Fish 'ole".

Everybody happy.

Fishie is something you call a woman with a rank pussy. It'd probably murder the chippie business.
Quote by Bearded_Seth
Frozen chips are baked. REAL chips are fried. Forsrs. Make some home made chip and put those f*ckers in a deep fat fryer, shit is so cash.

I think you confused me to supporting your fucked up use of the word chip. Chips are doritos (and baked), not the stuff i put in my poutine. Chips are baked, fries are fried.

edit:^ I was about to post something about "fish'ole" not being the best for business.
Last edited by Thrashtastic15 at Sep 24, 2010,
Page 1 of 3