Both are great sounding amps, but which one? I know it's down to personal preference, but I'm interested in your opinions.

I play a lot of EVERYTHING - Blues (John Mayer, Clapton), Jazz, Prog (Oceansize), Metal (Gojira, Lamb of God, Soilwork), Rock (Coheed and Cambria, AC/DC) and Indie (Bombay Bicycle Club) to name a few, with a few artist examples.

I'm aware it's a lot to ask of an amp at this price range, but these things sound amazing and sometimes better than amps twice or three times their price. The Rebel 20 is a little more expensive, but in a live situation is more flexible and it does have some features that the Tweaker doesn't, although the Tweaker has far more switches on it and seems to be generally more versatile. Would I be right in saying that the 20 has a little more gain on tap?

The other thing I wanted to ask is your opinions on how these amps would react to guitars with active pups on them (both of my electrics do). Would the warmth of the tubes still be evident or not?
- Ibanez SA220
- LTD EC-1000
- Marshall MG100DFX
- Blackstar HT-Dual Distortion Pedal
- Marshall Jackhammer Distortion/Overdrive Pedal
- EHX Cathedral Reverb Pedal
- Boss PW-10 Wah
- Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
- Boss TU-3 Tuner
I was not impressed by the Rebel at all, myself. I really liked the Tweaker, though. You'll need a boost for Coheed and stuff like Lamb of God, of course.

It's been a while since I played a Rebel, but the difference in gain is not significant. Maybe a bit more on the Rebel.

They should be fine with actives. However, I hear that making actives run on 18V is well worth your trouble if you want better sensitivity and dynamics.
The Rebel needs more tweaking (ironic, eh?) than the Tweaker for decent sounds. This is where the "Watt" knob comes into play. The slight move from 3 o'clock to 5 o'clock affects the sound in a big way. you need to spend some time geting used to it and how it reacts with the other knobs, specifically the Gain, Bright switch and Volume knobs.

Being an Egnater junkie since I bought my Rebel 20, I tried the tweaker when it came out. It's a faboulous amp, but I still like my Rebel more. I spent a fair amount of time in the store playing with it, and I can get all the sounds I got from the Tweaker with my Rebel.

Yes, it has more switches, but switches =/= versatility. Knobs, on the other hand....
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Thanks for the advice so far guys.

Quote by forsaknazrael

They should be fine with actives. However, I hear that making actives run on 18V is well worth your trouble if you want better sensitivity and dynamics.

Please explain what this means
- Ibanez SA220
- LTD EC-1000
- Marshall MG100DFX
- Blackstar HT-Dual Distortion Pedal
- Marshall Jackhammer Distortion/Overdrive Pedal
- EHX Cathedral Reverb Pedal
- Boss PW-10 Wah
- Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
- Boss TU-3 Tuner
Quote by Saywah?
Please explain what this means

You can modify EMG pickups to runn off of two 9 volt batteries as opposed to one. I haven't tried it, but apparently it increases the dynamic range of the pickups and opens up the sound a little more.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
i preferred the tweaker, but didn't mind the rebel 20 at all. the tube mix kind of turned me off honestly, and i've never really been a fan of too many el84 amps in general.

the main attraction for me was being able to run just about any power tubes i wanted. i have a set of 34s in there and really like the tones.