I have a MArshall DSL401 with the stock speakers installed. I am looking to upgrade.

This amp has a very bassy tone at the moment which annoys me a bit, so I'd be looking for a fairly bright speaker I guess. I've heard that the Celestion Vintage 30 goes well with this amp, anyone wanna second that?

Oh and I play mostly hard rock/metal.

Thanks guys,
Adam
Quote by Duv
The only good thing about my MG30 was I was able to have it in my room for 5 years solely as a place to hide cigarettes and condoms.
Vintage 30 pretty much match all hard rock/metal tone.
Though in my opinion i stay away from them due to personal taste, also check out the eminence speakers as they are more affordable but have a great quality just like celestion speakers.

As well try adjusting your eq to get less bass as you don't need to have it all the way up to get tight heavy sound from your amp.
Last edited by Stretch_Wilson at Sep 24, 2010,
Quote by Stretch_Wilson
Vintage 30 pretty much match all hard rock/metal tone.
Though in my opinion i stay away from them due to personal taste, also check out the eminence speakers as they are more affordable but have a great quality just like celestion speakers.

As well try adjusting your eq to get less bass as you don't need to have it all the way up to get tight heavy sound from your amp.

Okay thanks for that recommendation.
Yeah I play around with EQ all the time, but when I set bass at like, 3, it's still really bassy, but at 2 it just basically is non-existant. So instead I switch to my bridge pickup which is waaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy brighter than my bassy neck pickup on the Epi Explorer, and then I turn the bass up to like, 9 but because I'm on this uber-bright pickup there's still not much bass. One pickups too bassy the other's too bright and there's nothing my amp can do about it seemingly.... ****ing annoying tbh. But bar that it's an unbelievable amp btw
Quote by Duv
The only good thing about my MG30 was I was able to have it in my room for 5 years solely as a place to hide cigarettes and condoms.
Quote by BurstBucker Pro
Have you seen this video yet?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWK0sa7tlfI

Awesome vid, thanks. I never knew speakers could make that much difference to your tone! Vintage 30's and Eminence Tonker sound bright and the kinda thing I'm looking for.
Quote by Duv
This might help you more than you could you imagine... when you 'listen' to your amp, have you got the amp raised off the floor, on something that will decouple the low-end energy from your floor, and is the amp angled up towards your ears, so you hear the centre of the speaker cone's output?

As a sound engineer I find it insane that you could find a Marshall amp too bassy, in my opinion they're anything BUT bassy! Try what I've suggested, even if it's just on a cushion on a chair or something, and see if you're happier first before you go and buy new speakers. You'll also be hearing closer to what a microphone would pick-up in a live situation.

The Vintage 30's probably would sound better, but they're not going to improve the low-end how you think they might. I imagine your impression of the amp's speakers is more from how you're listening to the amp, and the (probable) boominess of the amp's cabinet.

Edit: Also, from what was said on EQ'ing the amp, if that's having little effect to the bass response you dislike then I imagine it's more to do with resonances in the room and the cab than it is the actual speakers.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Sep 24, 2010,
This might help you more than you could you imagine... when you 'listen' to your amp, have you got the amp raised off the floor, on something that will decouple the low-end energy from your floor, and is the amp angled up towards your ears, so you hear the centre of the speaker cone's output?

Okay, that's a really good point. I usually angle the amp towards myself but I always leave it on the floor. I didn't realise that this would cause low-frequency resonance through the floor.... But it seems kind of obvious now. Thanks a bunch mate, you might have just saved me a packet
Quote by Duv
I would check out Warehouse Speakers. The Veteran 30, the Vintage 30 clone, is a very good speaker for like half the price. A lot of people like the Veteran 30 better. I have Veteran 30s and like them a lot.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
Quote by DisarmGoliath

Okay, that's a really good point. I usually angle the amp towards myself but I always leave it on the floor. I didn't realise that this would cause low-frequency resonance through the floor.... But it seems kind of obvious now. Thanks a bunch mate, you might have just saved me a packet

No problem, I could be wrong as bassiness is an opinion more than a fact but it's always worth trying the free options before you pay anything, and most people's bedrooms etc. or even rehearsal rooms rarely have a solid floor made of a high-density material, not to mention vibrations could carry from the floor into other objects (wardrobes, cupboards etc.) that could in turm resonate loudly at various low frequencies.

Hope it helps and you dont have to shell out more for the sound you want - I usually slag off Marshall's but your amp is far from bad so you should be able to get a very useable rock/metal sound from it quite easily
I tried angling it more and putting a cushion under it and... Wow. Just wow. That's ten million times better, thank you so much DisarmGoliath, you're a legend. I'm not going to bother with new speakers arm then!
Quote by Duv
Only just noticed that you'd tried it out, musta not checked subscribed threads for a while hehe. Glad to hear it worked for you! So much of sound engineering is about positioning (whether it's where you put an instrument, a microphone, or even where you place something in the stereo image of a mix!), work a little with what you have before you try other things, especially those that cost you money